don't click here

Sonic Dream Team (New 3D Game from Hardlight, coming to Apple Arcade December 5)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Jul 28, 2022.

1. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Pinball-inspired physics will be the official name now.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. The fact Sonic Dream Team will be releasing in the same day of GTA 6 teaser will be either fucking funny or sad.

3. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    It's a double feature like Barbenheimer.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hookers and crime and fast on the same day. It’s the hooters collab all over again :V

5. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Between work getting heavy due to it being the end of the year, Sonic Dream Team, Avatar Frontiers of Pandora, and The Boy and the Heron all releasing in one week I'll have a lot of my plate but I'll for sure take the time out to play this day one. It looks better with every reveal.

6. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Honestly I don't even know why Sega is that hung up on making the distinction. Look at Mickey Mouse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are different products that aim at different audiences and have different objectives, but at the end of the day, they're both called Mickey Mouse and are equally valid versions of the franchise. Something I found mildly encouraging about Superstars is that unlike with Generations, Mania and Forces, Sega didn't feel the need to come up with some crazy convoluted reason for how Classic Sonic can be part of the timeline. It's just its own game doing its own thing, no justification needed.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. Mana

Mana

I'd argue those scenarios are a bit different though.

The New Mickey Mouse design came from a place of naturally deciding he should be updated once more for modern times. As such anything that isn't legacy merchandise, legacy content, or aimed at small children uses the newer design because it considered to be the main brand (including theme park rides).

The split with Sonic came from SEGA wanting to dissociate the Genesis Era games from the Modern Era which is way more hit or miss in reception.

I mean even in 2011 the Sonic Classic Collection on DS with Genesis ports used Modern Sonics design on the cover showing that in house they were considered the same thing for a long time.

There's no infighting in the Mickey Mouse Fandom over which design is better, and if there is, the average person who likes Mickey doesn't care and enjoys both versions. There are people who are adamantly Classic only or Modern only in the Sonic community however.

I feel this is more a symptom than it is the disease itself.

If the Mania and Forces or the Frontiers Final Update and Superstars duos had all gotten universal praise (Mania is the only one) then we wouldn't have any debates over which branch was better in the first place, we'd just be happy to have so many good games.

And those who only like Classic or Modern Sonic wouldn't have much ammo if both branches were getting universally praised games because at that point you'd just have admit it's just not for you and bow out of internet arguments.

But because we aren't in that world, this debate happens when no one would pay any mind to their being two branches if both were universally considered to be thriving.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
  8. RDNexus

RDNexus

Mickey is part of a cartoon franchise, unlike Sonic's game franchise.
    It might not be just an aesthetic preferrence, but also in gameplay and overall presentation.

9. Snowbound

Snowbound

The Paul Ruddish Mickey Mouse cartoons are an aberration from Disney USA’s standard practice of ignoring that Mickey Mouse is a character and instead making him a generic mascot with no personality. I love the new Mickey cartoon and the Mickey comics by Gottfredson, Scarpa and Casty… but as a whole disney wants to downplay that aspect of Mickey as much as possible. The last thing I want is for Sega to treat sonic how modern disney treats Mickey.

10. technicalityiskey

technicalityiskey

Very interesting how so far this is looking like its going to be on the scale of sonic games like forces and lost world yet seems to have much better level design, art direction, story, and will be a much more enjoyable game than those 2. Yet despite that is stuck on mobile and isnt getting a full console release with proper marketing. Sega makes unbelievably baffling business decisions that Ph.D. business professors need to study in school

11. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    I can’t speak for everyone, but I feel confident saying that the vast majority of sonic fans don’t care anymore, the green eyes thing is a meme for a reason. Also I’d be willing to bet the general gaming public doesn’t give a shit about “classic vs modern.”
    Sounds like you’re thinking the issue is bigger than it actually is.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
  12. Mana

Mana

Actually I've never brought up the classic or modern debate here once in my 10 years posting on this forum. And I still maintain and believe that there are some people who only play one of the other based on my own experiences with members of the community.

My point wss and still is that no one would care that SEGA split the two branches into their own things with their own goals if all the games were univerersally considered to be good and I still believe that.

13. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Suddenly, entire 30 minute gameplay video!

14. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

The music sounds very Sonic Superstarsish. Let’s see the feedback we get with that lol.

15. Blast Brothers

Blast Brothers

I like the visuals, and it looks like the controls are decent. The more open/interwoven design is nice in theory, but it doesn't seem like there's a ton to write home about in the platforming itself. Lots of grind rails and ring trails above pits, again. First impression is that it's a more diegetic version of Frontiers' series of linear challenges located next to each other in the same space.

The whole thing seems a little too basic to be the "ideal Sonic" or whatever some people were hoping it would be. Almost like it's a... mobile game or something!

But seriously, as someone without access to Apple Arcade at the moment (and who doesn't play a lot of mobile games in general), I'm comfortable sitting this one out.

16. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    Looks alright. Really dig the aesthetics! But yeah it seems to be the easiest game ever, and these early levels seem to use the really cool ideas less than I'd hoped (the skateboarding thing, for instance).

Also what is WRONG with Cream's voice

17. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Cream's voice is awful. Genuinely, really really bad. That's not a great thing for a game with special emphasis on Cream.

I'm so excited to see how people respond to it lol

18. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Yeah, I'm not all about Rouge's voice. Haven't heard Cream yet.

The game looks great. It's a mobile Frontiers, like if the Final Horizon Cyberspace stages had the Open Zone's progression system

19. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Amy Sisters...
    [​IMG]

20. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Apropos nothing, but some fan fics have Sonic call Amy "Ames" and I hate it