Sonic Studio

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lapper, May 19, 2018.

1. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Tbh as long as you can split a Bezier into two, the booleans are just a matter of adding points at intersections, then tracing around the shape, switching shape being traced at intersections, and deciding the new tracing direction depending on the operation. They still have some issues I need to fix!

As for the corner rounding, it was a pain because at first I had it based on an input of the arc circle's radius, but I had to modify to instead be based on an input of the arc circle distance from the corner (for finer control).
    Then finally after implementing it, I realised what actually needs to be controlled is the distance at which the arc circle meets the edges, not the distance to the centre of the circle. Got there in the end.

I learned everything on the job, when I started even the concept of checking for mouse hover on all the nodes of a polygon overwhelmed me.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  2. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    The recently shown Corner Curve tool also allows for curving corners with irregular edges. It will still produce perfect arcs for straight edges, or if the existing curve isn't too wacky.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I know you didn't mean it that way but that first pic is triggering my inner 13 years old, lol
    Also terrific work, literally can't way to get my hands on this :3

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Every update here really counts towards being able to design levels. I look forward to having a go of the eventual release.

Dude if this ever becomes compatible with custom tile sets I’m gonna have a hard time staying away from it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    New zone theme reveals + music!

Starting with Chemical Plant (Day)

Announcement:

6. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Another brand new zone theme reveal:
    Marble Zone (Sunset)

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    When you put Chemical Plant in the middle of the day, the blues and greys make it look more like "Thames Water Zone".

Genuinely not sure how you'd fix that.

8. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Haha, good descriptor. Gotten a couple other comments about it. I am likely going to adjust the colours so it's not looking so pure out there, while still being day.

It didn't show much onscreen in the clips, but the upper area of the sky is very polluted. I just need to extend that vibe a bit more
    [​IMG]

9. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I think it's the blues. You need more of that warm overcast grey along the horizon. Like a haze you'd see downwind from a wildfire.

10. expansivelovestories

expansivelovestories

reality is profoundly synergistic Member
    It is amazing that you have one of the most attuned musicians, let alone musicians who loves Sonicmusic, creating all the music for this!! and especially that he has had many years to fall in love with how real this project actually is!! Being able to make zones with our own shapes for everything has not really been possible for most Sonic fans, but apparently it's on the way!!

~~

Also i did realize i do have experience with the Jazz Jackrabbit 2 level creator (JCS) from the late 90s which, amazingly Sonic Studio will be like that and moreso because JCS was tile by tile and couldn't support loops!! But it did have an interesting feature which was only slightly developed which is akin to the Mystic Cave pathway into Hidden Palace. (i don't know if that would make sense within Sonic Studio or not!!)

11. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Another brand new zone theme music reveal:
    Green Hill (Sunset)

12. Violet CLM

Violet CLM

Not at the time, no, but...

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Another brand new zone theme music reveal:
    Marble Zone (Night)

14. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    What's amazing me the most is the shadow and lighting effects all over the place, on a sprite based game. Now you can claim Sonic Studio is RTX!

This is amazing. How does that work, on a high level for dummies like me? It doesn't look like it's simply adding over the darkened tiles which are almost pitch black, cos they look like the full detail is there. And one thing I can't see on the video due to video, are these lighting effects pixel locked?

15. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    It's just a shader that takes a texture of all lights in the scene as an input, and applies that to the normal zone textures. It darkens, so a full white light would simply give you the normally lit sprites. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by pixel locked though.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  16. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    With pixel locked I mean if the whole pixels are lit (darkned) on the same level, or if the zoomed pixels are smooth shaded. In a crude simplification, I hope this does the job illustrating it:
    upload_2023-11-2_0-28-23.png

Which is a common thing that happens when applying fancy effects on pixel art games, due to the art pixels not being single pixels anymore on screen.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
    • List
  17. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    This will greatly depend on the internal resolution of a modern pixel game. Many 2D games still keep a low internal resolution and upscale that to larger window sizes; all Sonic fan game frameworks do this! (Even the Unity/Godot based frameworks.)

Only outliers like Rivals of Aether will draw the sprites at 2x in-game, and run at a higher internal resolution. (Likely to create less pixel-precise "sweet spots" to attack, among other things.) It makes sense for fighting games, and presents unimaginable headaches for platformers, hence why most platformers won't do this by design.

So, if Sonic Studio's internal resolution is wide-screen 240p or so, and a shader is applied to it, you won't see multiple pixels of shadows overlaying individual pixels on sprites, even when the game window is upscaled. (Only Game Maker's GUI layer allows for drawing sprites/shapes/text strings at sizes that can defy the pixel grid of the internal frame.)

My Game Maker Studio experience can say as much, and that is what Sonic Studio is built in.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Oh THAT. Yeah pretty much what Lilly said. Can confirm that everything ingame is pixel locked, wouldn't have it any other way!

Cleaner shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
  19. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Introducing the Loop Tool

20. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Right as I was thinking “this’d be perfect if you could adjust the inner circle for larger sizes, you shown off the feature. Love how adjustable this is!
    As a person who’s worked with tools as clunky-in-comparison as SonED, this looks like a dream to work with.

Edit: Oh, and Marble Zone Night looks sweet, loving those aurora’s and that dynamic lighting.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List