don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Superstars is Sonic 4 ep 3.

I feel like I said that for another game though, hm, so Superstars is Sonic 4 ep 4. it feels like it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    IMG_8715.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. penBorefield

penBorefield

Living in my best life Member
    Basement
    Patching things up
    To be fair, simple and plastic look is on brand for Mario series, except Odyssey.

4. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

So I played Superstars at NYCC yesterday. I had a good time and everything felt right with the game. However, I think my problem lies with how the co-op is done. So like, if one player gets ahead, the other despawns and has to push a button to catch up. Which is fine, but I feel like it means if someone is better, it just doesn't work. Like, I played with a dude at NYCC, and we did the Cyber stage or whatever. At one point, we became like, digital mice. Then we had to climb this thing while avoiding hazards. The thing we climbed looked like the thing the spider from Mega Man X crawls down. Anyways, I got the hang of it, and was able to get through it, but the rando I was with, was just standing there waiting for me to get through it since he despawned and I felt bad. I dunno. The game is fun, but I certain don't like how the co-op aspect is done.

5. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Damn, the mid boss track has been reconstructed and deconstructed already!

I'm still not particularly fond of the track overall, especially compared to the likes of Pinball Carnival Zone: Act 1 and such, but it's at least better than the way more repetitive Act 2 boss track.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction

8 minutes of gameplay from GVG. Extremely encouraged by this to be honest. The game isn't the prettiest, but the level design actually looks really quite imaginitive (particularly the zone being played with Knuckles at the end) and the music is pleasing to the ears. I was still a bit apprehensive about the possibility of CD-tier design rearing its ugly head, but this looks somewhere between Sonic 2 and Sonic Mania to me.

Fantastic, one step closer to a mod that substitutes it for a version with real instruments.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    Hello. If I have a switch, what do I have to buy or to pay to play as the Rabbit character?

8. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Rabbit is included with the Digital Deluxe purchase. It's a skin for Sonic.

9. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    So through... means... I played two zones of Sonic Superstars. So far, yeah, I'm enjoying this very much.

I can see hints of the problems people talk about in the later game, namely the boss design, but Bridge Island and Speed Jungle are very good. Speed Jungle Act Sonic is an interesting detour, but it's weird that it's just that--a detour. You play Act 2 anyway, despite the game giving you a choice after Act 1. But I assume for Tails, Knuckles, and Amy, you don't get the choice at all.

And while the FM tracks are still jarring and inconsistent, even this early, the only one I don't actually like is the mini-boss theme. I actually like what Fang's theme is going for, even if the instrumentation lets it down.

Through the... same means, I played one level of Super Mario Bros. Wonder. I'm not making this a Mario vs. Sonic thing, but while Mario definitely has the better presentation and I feel the NSMB goodness, Superstars still managed to rein me in immediately, which is an absolute win in my book.

10. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    So I played the leaked Switch version and completed the Story Mode so spoilers ahead for the people who haven't played this.

Games starts very good but I it starts slowly having the BS segments Sonic 4 is known for with I say the last couple of levels feeling like never ending last stages. Also I hope there's a day 1 patch because the FM music is not that good. Overall I still give it a 7/10. Not even close to Mania in care but still a fun game.

11. MH MD

MH MD

2D Sonic was and is always superior to 2D Mario so no surprises

Now if only Donkey Kong gets the same level of treatment as Mario, whole decade since last game is too long, the superior Nintendo 2D platformer series should get more respect :argh:

12. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    The digital deluxe (PS5) version which I preordered is currently downloading. Says will unlock in 1 day and 17 hours time which will be 5am (UK time) on Tuesday.

I've got this week off work (which I'd already booked off before the release date was announced - lucky me), so plenty of time to play Superstars.

Looking forward to playing regardless whether it turns out to be really good, average or a complete train-wreck.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2023
  13. Vertette

Vertette

I can't believe you'd say something so wrong and something so true back-to-back.

After everything I've seen of the game, I think I'll get it on sale. It looks like an OK time, but not OK enough for 60 dollars.

14. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I'm not getting over this quote from the IGN review:
    How can this be true? Sonic Advance 4, when

15. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

finally, fellow Donkey Kong Bros

16. Tribalism is back baby.

17. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I think it depends upon how serious you are. I'll be getting both. Still fun to compare Sonic and Mario, even if it's clear that Mario won. It's just dumb fun.

18. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

My view can be summed up in two words:

Two cakes.

19. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    But one is triple chocolate :V

20. I have rent and bills to pay, so I can't exactly get both this week. Especially with Spider-Man 2 coming out as well.

I hate being an adult...