don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Pinball Carnival Act1 music:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2023
    • Like Like x 13
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    that’s some damn fine pinball level music.
    Maybe they didn’t have to worry about space as much since it didn’t have to fit on a disc so they were able to get away with not compressing the graphics as much?

3. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    At 0:37 in the Pinball OST...is that Amy laughing? Like, Cindy's Amy, probably from a Sonic Boom episode? It sure SOUNDS like it even if it's just some unrelated laugh.

Anyway, music is weird in a good way. I'm actually not sure it's my favorite (on a purely subjective scale) but it embodies a good feel for Sonic music that's not just trying to be the genesis games.

4. Okay, that pinball music is a bop.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. My assumption that Rintaro Soma could nail a CD style track is confirmed. Strong Collision Chaos vibes.

6. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Reminds me of the Pizza Tower OST a bit. Which is always a good thing.

7. Linkabel

Linkabel

PlayAsia has the Asia limited edition for those that wanted. Ended up being $110 with everything.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  8. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Yeah, that's a bopper track.
    Maybe? The size for each pack was around 500mbs. There were about 6 of them? Unleashed was around 5.6 gigs. The average Xbox game disc at the time was around 7.3 gigs.
    I read that the Japanese PS3 release already had the DLC levels included on the disc. I haven't actually verified that though or bothered to check if there were texture differences.

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    That's much better. So much so I'm going to give him a wiki page.

10. Wow... It's good. Very CD and I love it.

11. That One Guy Josh

That One Guy Josh

Speaks English AND Balanese. Member
    The CD vibes are real. This song is just *chef's kiss*.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
  12. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    This is like the forbidden child of Stardust Speedway present JP and Studiopolis Zone Act 1. The random compressed vocal samples are a nice touch as well.

I'm also happy to see how lively the background looks. Speed Jungle Zone doesn't seem to have much in the way of animation, but almost everything in this background changes in some way, which is very cool.

13. GoldeMan

GoldeMan

Texas
    Track is pretty good! I know it's been mentioned but it gives me big Pig City (Bite the Crust) vibes from Pizza Tower.

I love that part at 1:14 where the snyth comes to the surface to play the counter melody, really nice touch

Edit: After a few more listens I really like the composition.. Buuuut.... I'm still not in love with Tee Lopes style of production. I wish it was more sample driven like Sonic CD.. Or heck like Pizza Tower too if I continue that thought.. im just nitpicking, it sounds good and I'm sure im game I'll love it

Last edited: Sep 8, 2023
  14. Sai Start Marker

Sai Start Marker

Born in 1947 but made for the 90's Oldbie
    This is very good. More tracks by this person are a must. Tee Lopes doing the potential Act 2 remix for this has me very excited.

15. serpx

serpx

Man, this is actually going to play like a true long lost sequel of the classic 2D titles. After listening to the Carnival level song, I'm kinda teary eyed. I'm so ready for this game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    No clue what people mean by CD vibes. It just sounds like the boss music the Sonic Mania all over again, sometimes switching over to Studiopolis, which is not a good thing at all in my eyes. It all somehow goes back to the exact criticism of instrumentation that I gave Tee's stuff... But now it's on someone else's music. Pretty much kills all hope of having a single song to love on this game.

Because Sonic Unleashed was originally going to be a two-disc game (the one prototype disc we have of it is actually only half of the prototype because of that) but they had to cut back on storage *somewhere* to make it fit on one, and the easiest ways to do that are the quality of the baked lighting and texture resolution. It may be possible the adventure packs themselves were all meant to be in the game originally but just cut for space and released for DLC.

They also fixed a critical bug through one of those packs so they didn't have to pay a separate "publish an update" fee. So if you don't have those packs you don't have the patch.

17. This is so good. Sounds a mixture of the proto Carnival Night + Stardust Speedway (Present) [JP) and Studiopolis Act 2. I love the bass!

Great to see Rintaro Soma can compose more than "EDM" style, which is awesome. It's actually nice itself to see other Frontiers composers returning.

18. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    We better get a track from Kenichi Tokoi.

19. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I’m on board with this track. I didn’t like it at first and I REALLY didn’t like it from the game clips. Something about 00:55 - 01:10 just seems so “basic jazz scale”. Otherwise I love that it gives me “If Sonic 1 were made today” vibes. It’s tastefully a slower song for what is most likely going to be a slower level. I’m excited to hear Act 2 :V

20. lupinsmask

lupinsmask

Feels like I've heard part of the Pinball Carnival track before but it's still good.