don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Why ?

2. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

I mean they did have screen size altering through the L3 or R3 button (is it the "original" small size we're missing?) and more save states in Mega/Gems Collection, though at least one of those being based on old PS2 8MB Memory Card saving and loading that can take just so long (or at least for the Genesis games, and I think there was a quicker save feature in Gems?) makes it a bit antiquated for me in this day and age. They also had the manuals and cheats in the menus too, not that the latter haven't been public internet knowledge you can look up for like 30 years, though people could be made more aware of the secrets in the main 4 games they totally easily might've missed.

With Anniversary/Classic Mode as well as Boss Rush and Mirror Mode, it kinda seems like there's the "one" way to play Game Gear games in particular, be it in terms of no Master System equivalents or toggle options.

3. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Has it been confirmed yet if the Plus content is on the cart/disc with the DLC code simply being a unlock key or if the DLC is a separate download?

I ask because I got the Japanese retail version of the game and the Game Gear roms are Japanese (Sonic and Tails 1 and 2, Japanese text in Tails Adventure). Good thing I already had a Japanese eShop account set up so I could download the plus stuff!

4. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    It actually has every region of the game gear games in the collection, but you have to change the box art language to access them, I believe.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    how do I do that? I keep getting the Japanese versions for all the game gear games and I want the American ones

6. BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Tech Member
    All I know is that the version on the Switch cartridge is 1.5.0, and there's a patch to go to version 2.0.0, which was pushed right before the release date.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

You're right, it does say in the description text for that option about game gear regions too, is this another janky way they have added new options I wonder? Haha its so strange!

8. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Honestly if they just prioritized calling the option "region" instead of "box art" I don't think anyone would have batted an eye.

9. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Do we know any more about this Origins Collector's Edition? I'm trying to decide if I want to buy Origins now or wait for the collector's edition.

10. From Pix’n Love? I don’t think so. I’m waiting to grab a PS4 copy from them once it’s revealed… assuming it’s decent.

11. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

So is it basically the 5 Sonic platformers of the Game Gear that have region differences, according to this very site? And they're all cosmetic-related besides Triple Trouble's "3D Stage" menu option? Is that accurate?

I've also noticed oddly that the Game Gear games seem to be in chronological release order... Except for Mean Bean Machine. Maybe because it's a reskin of another franchise's game at heart (though was Skypatrol originally a Disney characters game?) or more so because it's a different continuity of Sonic altogether.

12. MastaSys

MastaSys

Origins is the gift that keeps giving.
    Always finding new ways on how a product was half-assed every day.

13. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Game gear was 60hz everywhere right? could you imagine wanting the cool UK box arts meant you had to experiance 50hz roms? lol.
    Why are these things not menu toggles??? why are all the cheat options not menus??? why is sega so idiotic???

14. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

Not gonna lie, gift that keeps on giving was basically the turn of phrase I was thinking earlier when I thought I found a fix for the Sonic+Tails S1 bug, it's a fascinating game to pick apart.

It's weird because Mania had cheat toggles for save files (at least for a few options and maybe the Super theme disable also carried over?) whilst Sonic Team's Origins perhaps wants to keep the most accessible forms of these games strictly authentic and have always only allowed such change ups to their games if they were only ever made to be cheat codes, snuck in by RSDK boys or otherwise. Though they did remove the Proto Palace cheat anyway and conversely upgrade Knuckles+Tails in S2 to a default option of the game, because why not?

But at the same time, I think you go into SCD's Anniversary Mode to change the Spin Dash and soundtrack for Boss Rush/Missions/Story Mode, which is clunky and never made clear. The player has to know certain cheats never said in-game to give S1/S2 the features of their original release like no Spin Dash in S1, even in Classic Mode. And switching the Game Gear region is a box art option in a graphics menu, though there it's at least made clear and I guess technically the region differences are mostly graphics-based. These are nitpicky, I just wonder if it's like Sega should just pick a lane with this stuff.

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    It's not accurate; Sonic Chaos in particular has significant layout differences between its Japanese and overseas releases, most prominently felt in ring placements on boss stages (they're harder to find outside of Japan).

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  16. I already pointed that out earlier in the thread, along with the incorrect aspect ratio.
    Also, that Disney game never came out, and was supposed to be for a completely different handheld system that also never came out, so the dev team repurposed their game engine for the Game Gear and got Sega's permission to use the Sonic characters.

Don't worry. AFAIK all handheld systems are 60 Hz no matter the region. Heck, AFAIK there was no PAL optimization or region lock between America and Europe for the Master System, so while the European Master System will definitely run its games in 50 Hz, those same game cartridges can still be inserted into an American Master System and run in 60 Hz with no issues.

17. BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Tech Member
    I read that North America actually got PAL cartridges of Sonic the Hedgehog back in the day to replenish supply quickly. As a result, a true North American copy of Sonic the Hedgehog for the Master System is quite rare.

18. That's assuming the actual North American copies exist in the first place and aren't just the European copies with a new UPC sticker.

19. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

Bit of trivia, not only do Knuckles' new SCD routes not exist in Classic Mode, but I think Amy also doesn't appear on the Signpost animation when playing as other characters in that mode. She still appears on the end logo, never appears on the Slot Machine Bonus Stage with other characters in the first place and I'm not sure about the fully complete save file sprite with all four characters on the logo (which currently incorrectly sparkles with Tails' colours). Can anyone verify what the case is with that?

So basically there's that and a S3&K jingle changing in terms of additional differences they went out of their way to make between Classic/Anniversary Mode.
    Ah, didn't see earlier posts, kinda dipped out when the game was starting to get leaked. So my guess is either its existence as another franchise's game and/or its existence as another branding of Sonic in a canon 2D focused collection that made it separate from the rest, ignoring a AoStH Robotnik on GG Spinball's and Triple Trouble's covers, of course.
    Interesting, would've been nice to see this stuff mentioned in-game as a bit of an enticement to try out the swapping feature, like a life hack for them.