don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Miles3298

Miles3298

Possibly against my better judgement, I am SUPER excited for this game! This looks fantastic. I want it, I want it bad.

A good friend of mine said it best: "I should probably be more cautious here but MAN does this look exactly like what I want"

2. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    As long as they nail the physics and level design, I'm certain things like the boosters can be remedied with mods.

I don't mind the 2.5D look, because the gameplay looks like it's doing things that simply wouldn't be possible with sprites, or would look very awkward with them. It doesn't look like it's only doing that because it's "the easy way out".

3. Exoticus

Exoticus

I am kind of conflicted. New 2D classic Sonic game? Hype. Amy and Fang in 3D? Hype. Then you have the visual design which honestly screams "mobile game" to me, the boosters on loops, and the $60 price tag and that worries me.

4. Blast Brothers

Blast Brothers

I'll have no qualms paying $60 if we're looking at 10-15 zones in the complete package (if the game still looks intriguing on release day, of course).

5. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    I think this might be their answer as a result of us begging for Mania 2...

6. RikohZX

RikohZX

If this is a full-featured game, yeah. $40 is rough for native recreated ports with Origins, and Frontiers isn't exactly $60 quality. If Superstars is rough around the edges then I'll wait for a sale, but if it manages to have some meat on its bones and actually be good, we'll see.

7. Lambda

Lambda

I'd certainly say I'm intrigued! I just hope that between this, Origins Plus, and the Frontiers DLC, SEGA isn't spreading themselves too thin... I want all of these projects to get the time and resources they need to be good.

Also, new zones! That's certainly not Green Hill. ...and one of the levels kinda looked like Null Space?

8. Snowbound

Snowbound

Ohshima’s involvement just majorly increased my hype! It’s too bad they couldn’t get Yas to come back too.

9. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    Classic Knuckles in 3D looks like he's always meant to have looked that way (sonic 3 character graphics comparison intensifies)

Also I HEARD THAT TRIPLE TROUBLE FANG THEME THERE

10. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    And just like that, Sonic Origins preorders faded away in an instant.

Seriously, fuck Origins.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
  11. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Holy crap, I didn’t expect in a million years to see this. Incredible.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
    I'm not a fan of the art direction they chose, with the blurred backgrounds and bloom all over, but honestly? This still looks like it could be a good game to introduce people to Sonic. It looks charming.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Anyone paying the full $60 for this is about the get swindled so hard.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  14. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Speaking as somebody who is in the "cautious" camp after Colours Ultimate and Origins, I think the booster stuff is being blown out of proportion, given there are two instances of their use in the trailer. The first is on a non-standard loop of an odd shape that is doing some layer swapping shenanigans and the second is to launch Sonic onto a rail as an enemy is chasing him. Granted, I don't think they *need* to be there and I would prefer it if they weren't, but this doesn't (yet) have the permeating stench of Forces' Classic Sonic automation.

Anyway, the new abilities look gimmicky, albeit quaint, and I'm glad Ohshima is back on board for this. Will be good to see Fang make the jump to 3D, hopefully there are more characters to be seen, even if only as cameos.

15. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I'm excited! This looks cute and I like the 2.5D aesthetic. It's awesome they brought back Ohshima for this.

16. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Origins just can’t catch a break, it was rushed out, beaten to death due to stupid executive decisions, and now it’s been overshadowed by a new 2D Sonic game prior to the Plus release.. I feel real bad considering how much work was put into it by Headcannon

17. Kyro

Kyro

Need to see more and know more about the content and length before I cry foul at the $60 price tag. It looks great, if its got some meat on its bones then $60 is worth it imo

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Snowbound

Snowbound

There is a part of me that’s hoping that Taxman and/or Stealth consulted on this. Cuz I did want another classic sonic game but I wanted it developed by the Mania Team. Instead poor Headcanon was roped into the origins mess. It’s a real shame, last year Origins played second fiddle to frontiers and now it’ll be second to superstars. I hope Stealth and co are getting paid well.

On a positive note I’m happy to see logos for Steam and epic at the end of the trailer. Additionally, I’m happy to see that Amy can use her hammer while walking. Hopefully this means she’ll have a grounded hammer attack in origins plus

19. Blast Brothers

Blast Brothers

Yeah, why did they announce this before Origins Plus comes out? Why is this game coming out so soon after Origins Plus, too? Feels like an odd decision... unless they really need to fit in all their Sonic news/releases by Fall 2023 for some reason? To get in front of the Knuckles Paramount show maybe?

Fixed. I'm not 100% sold on this until I play a demo and see how long the game is.

20. RikohZX

RikohZX

Also can I say it looks really friggin' weird to see that bow-legged Classic Sonic stance for a grinding animation? He does seem to shift his stance with each new swift turn of the rail. Also the brief 3D section with grapple-hooking is doing that buggy airwalk thing again, so I dunno if this was built on top of something else or they're just harkening back there given the animation quality elsewhere.