don't click here

Sonic Studio

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lapper, May 19, 2018.

1. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Oh, that was one of the first things I thought about while typing up my post. :)

However, that was a very unique time. Back then, you could just put someone's fan game on your official site and call it a day. Most consumers expect more than that in this modern PC landscape, with the Steam client and its many imitators. "No Steam, no buy" wasn't always said as a joke! :V

I don't know if a major publisher could do that again, not without a barrage of console and OS port begging. (Even I've had my share of Switch port beggars, and I'm appealing to a far smaller fandom than Sonic Studio is.) We never hear the end of it in fan game circles, let alone the fire hose of constant feedback that publishers get- good or bad :psyduck:

And I imagine most fan game creators don't want that scope of public pressure. Lapper clearly doesn't any more than I do.

2. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Yes, I have the planned zones locked down, it's *at least* one zone from each classic game. If I added more zones, it'd be post release!

Many many objects from zones not even present are also included so it's not so strict a limit based on those zones, however.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    A video teasing much of the upcoming never-before-heard music! All music by Jahn Davis

4. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Forgot to post this here:

The editor music for Chemical Plant!
    by Jahn Davis

5. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Should be mentioned, for onlookers reading on- while Capcom did indeed do this, they also specifically told people to NOT come presenting fangames to them, and that it was a one-off rare exception. It's clear it was entirely just down to Mega Man needing a PR win in some way at that moment, and otherwise it'd get ignored at best, litigated against at worst.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  6. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Hello all. I thought I might begin to share some random bits via a blog, I'm still waiting to show more of the more epic features over on Twitter but that doesn't stop me showing some of the more simple or behind the scenes things I've been up to.

Little stories screenshots, challenges, or updates you might find interesting regarding already announced features, characters, or zones.
    Let me know if you want more of these kinds of posts every so often.

Creating Spring Yard's Visuals
    https://sonicstudiofangame.weebly.com/blog/creating-spring-yards-visuals
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
  7. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
  8. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
  9. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    This is looking quite professional, good job so far!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
  11. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
  12. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Interesting read! I'd never given too much thought to how Sonic's non-floor running detection works, so it's neat getting a peek behind that particular curtain. Makes me wonder what the floor-checker looks like in less obvious cases, like springing upward into a ceiling slope. Or how other Sonic-inspired projects handle their own wall and ceiling traversal physics.

13. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    A lil video showing various ways you will be able to modify existing terrain shapes in Sonic Studio.

Note: Forgot to show it, but you can use the slice tool with additional points, not just straight lines from edge to edge.

In other news, I've gradually begun allowing a few select people to test Sonic Studio (starting with contributors, and adding people over time as the amount of bugs become less overwhelming). For a while (far too long) it was only me. So at last, many bugs I never knew existed are being fixed, and the light at the end of the tunnel is slowly getting brighter. There's still a fair few features to add, but it's happening!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
  14. Chaud

Chaud

Wow, it looks really polished! Great work, Lapper!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I agree, this is technical software magic that I rarely see achieved with Game Maker. Even as someone who has used it for nearly 20 years, you've shown the ceiling of what is possible with GML is ever higher still. The "Wait how did he do *that*?" never ends with your demonstrations.

Given the mechanical complexity of Sonic's movement, part of me wonders if it's ever possible (design-wise) to make a Sonic stage editor that's as easy to learn as Mario Maker. But what you have with Sonic Studio shows a "Sonic Maker" doesn't need to be. This is the most imaginative, intuitive approach I've seen for any stage editing game out there. This new video is more evidence you have something special here.

I imagine excited newbies may appreciate the learning curve, and anyone familiar with Photoshop/alternatives will feel right at home in Studio.

It's exciting to hear things are going well with private testing! This project feels more tangible with every update. :)

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    This is looking fantastic. I love how flexible the terrain editor is. This could potentially spawn a generation of fan games within it! Nice job dude!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  17. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Thanks all for the kind words! Cant wait to get this in the hands of more people

New tool alert: You can drag individual corners (between 2 straight edges) to easily round them off, adding things like quarter pipes in an instant.
    Wanted to add this for a long time and I finally did it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2023
  18. expansivelovestories

expansivelovestories

reality is profoundly synergistic Member
    seeing Labyrinth sparks something in my head, to wonder if it's even possible: a library of a few backgrounds for some of the tilesets, basically Sonic 3K having different backgrounds to represent that the area of the world is distinct between acts; (and of course the Sonic Mania Misfits pack version of Labyrinth that introduces a nighttime aboveground background. i'm still wondering what Labyrinth with a bright daytime aboveground area would look like!!)

This is just a question, not a feature request, as Sonic 1's zones do not really necessitate or require that kind of graphical storytelling!!

19. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Wayy ahead of you! Hope to reveal what we've had cooking soon.

Note: For those who already saw the images of the tool above, I've now posted a video

20. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Oh my god how did you get booleans and fillets working. That's PAINFUL math.