don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    The first one is an anti-piracy warning explaining that it is illegal to distribute & download games hosted illegally, while the second one is a flashing lights/health warning. I’ve seen the first one in recent SEGA games (SEGA AGES series on Switch and Team Sonic Racing).

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Snowbound

Snowbound

I’m seeing folks wonder why Sonic Team inserted themselves into Origins. I have no insider info or anything but I personally don’t think it was out of some rivalry with the mania devs. I can think of a much simpler explanation: Sega knew they couldn’t charge $40 for just Sonic 3 so they rushed the islands and the ios ports.

I was optimistic about Origins and Frontiers because it appeared that Sega finally learned from 06 and didn’t crunch to meet an anniversary. Unfortunately it seems Sega hasn’t learned anything. covid probably slowed development of Frontiers and Origins to the point it was literally impossible for them to come out for the 30th anniversary. The suits probably only delayed frontiers (and origins?) due to the coincidence of the 2nd movie coming out the next year. If the higher ups at Sega truly cared about quality than we would be getting Origins without denuvo in the fall and frontiers in 2023.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  3. RikohZX

RikohZX

I mean, how much of Sonic Team was even involved with Origins beyond Jun Senoue? Most of this sounds like it was entirely Sega of Japan off-staff rather than a dedicated branch of ST themselves.

4. Snowbound

Snowbound

^You’re probably correct. I was assuming Sonic Team due to the Frontiers assets but the Frontiers team could’ve just given a different team their lighting engine.

5. jbr

jbr

I don't think it's a weird thing to say, it's how the minimum requirements are stated in the Steam store. And I think OP's point is, why do we need such a powerful GPU for such an old game? As opposed to, for example, an integrated Intel chip or something. The answer being a combination of the menu islands and, I suspect, poor coding by the dev team.

6. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    The menu islands absolutely do not need to be rendered in the Hedgehog Engine

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The menu islands feel like they were hashed together in a half a day. They sound great on paper but in terms of their actual implementation theyre just pathetic.

8. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I like the islands but you should be able to use a seperate menu on PC.

9. Harper

Harper

People have been datamining the game and found out that there's an unused mechanic that would let you switch to a different game's sprites, ala Sonic 3 Complete. This would've let the player switch between Sonic 1, 2, 3&K, and Mania's sprites. This would change characters, rings, goal posts, springs, and a few others.
    Source 1
    Source 2
    Source 3

There's also a few unused animations in the game, such as Sonic 3 Sonic performing the Peel-Out (with its code intact), the unused whistle animation, and the surfboard animation from the prototype, among others.

• Informative Informative x 12
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Here's an unpopular opinion.

I really like the Origins Sonic 3 Super Sonic Theme. Lol. Bite me. I like how it has the Sonic and Knuckles theme and how it even includes the crescendo when the Death Egg falls in the title screen.

I understand why people don't like it but I dig it.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  11. RikohZX

RikohZX

Makes me curious how much of this could be restored. Giving players sprite options without even having to replace the assets themselves was a thing a lot of people apparently wanted.

12. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    So a kid that goes by Mr_Shoemonster on Youtube made a pretty good remix of the Sonic Origins 3&K Super Sonic theme using Sonic 3 instruments, it sounds really good IMO so feel free to check it out.

13. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    The composition is alright, but the Sonic 4 styled instrumentation doesn't do it any favours, and removes any sense of authenticity it might otherwise have had.

14. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Don't get me wrong, I get it. All very valid complaints.

I'm just an easy to please bitch. What can I say haha

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    From anyone who's been poking around within the collection's files - I'm curious, for the Sonic 3 & Knuckles remaster, does it look like the weird music mishmash of using Sonic 3 title theme but Sonic & Knuckles jingles is actually intentional or some weird inconsistency introduced by SEGA's porting? Swapping the themes/jingles from one set to another is exactly the sort of option I'd have expected Stealth's team to implement, so I was wondering if it looks like the functionality may have existed at all in the version Headcannon submitted for inclusion into Origins.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  16. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    If we're talking re-dos of the Super theme... I thought I wasn't a fan of the new song, until I found this. It came in a music swap mod I installed, and I liked it *so* much better that I didn't even notice it was the same melody until I compared them directly. Love, love, LOVE the way it incorporates a certain other song at the beginning!

17. RDNexus

RDNexus

So, more than being mod-friendly, S3KRemaster was developed with S3Complete and S3AIR as reference. Way better than I expected.
    Still, with so many bugs and issues on the forefront, modding and turning Origins into THE ultimate collection may yet take a bit longer.

18. jbr

jbr

Or perhaps, something they could enable in future patches/DLC

19. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Do we have any idea how easy it is to adapt S3AIR mods to Origins? I have a mighty need to get sunset Marble Garden in the game before I reach S3&K in story mode.

20. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Update: I found out that there apparently is a way to replay specific zones if you go to "My Data & Ranking"... but I ran into my first bug in the process lol

It's completely broken, the game just keeps crashing everytime you select a stage. This is on PS5 so I don't know if this error exists on other versions