don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    We went from everyone defending Jun passionately to everyone viciously attacking him in the span of two days.

2. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    That's the Sonic fanbase for you lmao

3. corneliab

corneliab

That is a big reason, but even in something like the fanmade "fixed" version that's been getting shared around, I just don't really like the direction of it. For an original Super theme it's kind of dopey-sounding and bland. A pretty stark contrast to the Sonic 2 and Mania themes.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  4. Simon A.C. Martin

Simon A.C. Martin

Fixing railways
    Haven't played the game yet, so haven't heard the music in context of the levels. I think I may feel differently when I am playing the game, but I am feeling a bit down on Origins as a result!

Almost everything else about the game looks great mind, I am on board with so many of the good decisions made, and the new modes look like fun. But the music choices I am just not feeling.

Still paid for it and will play it...so yeah. Frustratingly easy to get money out of me, this fanbase.

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It could be both - we've no guarantee the songs came from the same source.

I don't know how likely it is that a prototype version of Sonic 3 was reverse engineered to get specific songs. I suspect it was probably Jun Senoue browsing through an old box of floppy disks, finding the tunes in various states of completion. It definitely seems unlikely that they came from the same specific version of Sonic 3 as our prototype*.

*though having had a look at the gallery posted earlier, I have a feeling some of the scans were taken from the internet (maybe even us!), so it wouldn't surprise me. That Aladdin/Lion King re-release included that one specific leaked prototype, after all.

6. Its Sonic, expect no less

7. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    WELL to each their own. I'm screaming "I TOLD YOU SO" from the top of my lungs right now

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well what's the alternative being a bitter fuck expecting the worst? I don't want to live like that personally, even if that is how the real world ends up 90% of the time

9. Palas

Palas

I suppose looking at the fact that the game is not reduced to the work of one man over an issue that's not even his fault anyway. Hyperfocusing on and having artificially inflated expectations for something that had no good solution from the get-go is worse than being pessimistic, yet healthily detached in my book.

10. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Yeah, I personally never had very high hopes for the replacement tracks, putting in the bare minimum effort to implement them is about what I expected. I think some people just let their imaginations get carried away at the prospect of Sega investing the time, money and energy into giving this game a more "definitive" soundtrack.

I actually don't mind the new Super theme except that it has a really weird loop to the point where I'm having trouble following what the melody is supposed to be. Did Jun compose this? The S&K theme being the chorus is nice though.

11. Taylor

Taylor

I honestly just expected them to yank the tunes from the prototype and plop them into the game. I know they're a little unfinished but they don't sound that bad. Maybe they felt that straight up taking something from a leaked prototype would've looked embarrassing? Kinda like how Gamefreak refuses to acknowledge scrapped Pokemon designs.

12. Palas

Palas

I have no way of going through all the pages to see if someone noticed this, but has this always been a thing? Seems like a weird little glitch in Super Sonic transformation.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. ELS

ELS

I won't listen to the tracks ahead of playing the game but let me say, this is why I got the PC version.

14. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Either you can detransform or there's some weird new bug forcing the detransform on the slope.

15. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

The upside of expecting the worst, is the joy of being proven wrong and ending up pleasantly surprised - doesn't happen often with Sega, but still.

16. sonicthesnot

sonicthesnot

Not everyone has always thought Jun is some mastermind genius. I've always believed he's a lousy composer and poor arranger. The bro is straight up D-tier compared to all-star composers like Masato Nakamura, MJ/Brad Buxer, whoever composed Flying Battery Zone, the two dudes who composed the Sonic CD JP soundtrack, and others.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Palas

Palas

Being able to detransform would be interesting (not something I specifically like, as discussed in the unpopular opinion thread, but it'd be interesting to see). However, as far as I watched, it didn't happen elsewhere, so maybe it's indeed a bug. Then again, the player seems to be really skilled at Sonic and could just be used to the old playstyle/never ran low on rings to feel the need to detransform, or maybe they didn't even know you could do it.

18. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I feel like being unable to transform is best tbh. Adds a risk/reward to turning super, even if its small.

19. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

Even though neither the emo rock shit or his wistful and poncey stuff is to my tastes, I always cut him some slack because the music from 3D Blast was so good... but then upon closer inspection, the best tracks in that game weren't even done by him.

20. It's just past midnight in eastern Australia, June 23rd. The Switch version which was pre-loaded got an update to v1.1.0 at around 12:04AM, and has become playable as of 12:13AM. See you all on the other side!