don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Nailed it

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Holy shit lmao

I'm more stunned at what the scope of Hedgehog Engine seems to be used for than the idea that they left all this stuff in, not expecting it to be found instantly. Hopefully nothing major has been left in.

3. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    So idk if Twitter is to be believed, but there have been posts by users who’ve played the game saying that some music tracks (specifically Chaotix) have been titled incorrectly and, just like the muffled Origins Sonic 3 tracks, some others appear to be low quality as well?

Again, take this with a grain of salt, but I feel like more clarification/confirmation is needed on this.

4. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Literally how

5. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    I mean, the menu islands are very cool so I'm not going to knock them for using their cool graphics engine for them, but "Set of games from the early 90s has high system requirements because its menus are very hardcore" is still a very funny sentence.

6. Vertette

Vertette

If a game gets big enough, at a certain point in development you just give up at trying to get rid of all the unused files. Something might break if you do.

or, you know, lazy devs lmao

7. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    It’s not terribly uncommon for things like this to happen. Ironically, Super Mario 3D All-Stars had leftover strings in it that were later discovered to have likely been for Bowser’s Fury.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    I wouldn't say that. They straight up got a question about Madame (the scrapped Farfetch'd evolution from GS before they threw everything out and started from square one) in a pre-Sword and Shield interview where Sirfetch'd was brought up, and they acknowledged that Sirfetch'd was not derived from that design, instead of pretending that they don't know what the interviewer is talking about.

yeah, the demos on the anniversary OST match very closely a lot of the tracks in Simon Wai too, generally (there are no suddenly different-sounding tracks, is what I'm saying. all the melodies and beats are preserved).

Something fascinating to me is how there are changes between the demos, proto tracks, and finals, such as tempos (which, I assumed the demos were slower so that they were easier to transcribe, and then the tempo could be easily changed on hardware) but also elements that were removed from what the demo intends, like Metropolis's more overt record scratches or Super Sonic's sirens. Did Masato change his mind after demo submission or was this the work of the sound programmers? Probably lost to time. The point being that despite having differences from the final, all versions of the OST match the demos enough for you to go "yeah, that's [insert level here]" right off the bat. The tracks for Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 seem pretty established from day one, which is more than can be said for Sonic 3.

yeah, it's extremely common in development in general. Something that comes to mind, befitting my profile pic, is how a lot of the rooms in Metroid Prime contain a lot of unused layers, a few of which even including unused models of scrapped enemies before Nintendo made them redesign them by fiat to not match the 2D ones. Not laziness, it's just that any big development project is taped together with prayer and if you move juuuust the wrong thing something will break and you fail certification.

Hell like, I have on my to-do for my current project to remove unused graphical assets and the prospect still scares the shit out of me despite this just being a program for me that no one else will see. I dread the idea of suddenly breaking a UI element.

(re: the rest of the topic, I have not heard the new songs, nor do I care to until I play the game. carry on, lol)

9. John Chrysler

John Chrysler

People could just download the MD versions of those songs and mod it into the Origins game and play it or on console getting a music player like an MP3 or something and playing the music off of that. It's a bit of a hassle but it's still possible. I swear people just like to complain about anything.

10. Vertette

Vertette

Guilty as charged about liking to complain, but just because I can mod the game doesn't mean it isn't an issue anymore. Using a music player to pretend the tracks are good is hardly an ideal solution either.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    People are allowed to complain about things that disappoint them. And frankly it shouldn't NEED mods to be fixed.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

it could also be bug handling maybe?

like say something went a little wonky with the engine and its path handling that made the game glitch out when sonic’s physics change on or shortly before hitting them so the options were scour the engine for what made it happen or have the transformation cancel in that one rare instance a player transforms in that window to maintain consistent physics on sonic

It’s not new for sega; remember how bizarrely resource-intensive the Genesis Classics room menu is for some reason?

13. John Chrysler

John Chrysler

I just wish people were just glad to have S3&K in a collection in this century but I guess not. And there is a difference between constructive criticism and throwing a tempure tandrem with pointing fingers at Jun saying it's all his fault and crap. I almost cannot believe there are 30 YEAR OLDS that do this crap. Jesus Christ.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Man, I am glad. I'm buying this collection for S3K alone. But there's just a bunch of other stuff in the rest of the package that brings it down for me. The crappy dropdash in the games that aren't s3k, very subtle differences between the games making it feel disconnected, of course the music problems. People are completely allowed to be disappointed, just as much as people are allowed to be grateful. obviously that doesn't excuse people attacking the developers but don't mistake those people who are genuinely just disappointed.

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I presume that it's done for authenticity but I am frustrated that the remastered music from the mobile ports sounds better than what we've got for Sonic 1 and 2 IMO. I realize not everyone will agree -- replacing the PSG noise channel with actual hi-hat cymbals is going to be a controversial choice, but I appreciated it and think it's one of the best features of the mobile ports.

Semirelatedly, while I am normally all about "authentic hardware recordings" and whatnot, Sonic 3's music is definitely hurt badly by being rendered that way. I feel like if we're already ignoring hardware limitations with things like the widescreen and special stage rotation frames, we can afford to get cleaner percussion samples a la SMPSPlay.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. John Chrysler

John Chrysler

I just don't think this situation is THAT serious to be livid about. All I can do is to write constructive critisism like an adult to SEGA and hope they listen to it, that's all.

17. Vertette

Vertette

Don't get me wrong, I'll still buy it, but for 40 dollars I was at least expecting them to try and make the new tracks sound more in line with the rest of the soundtrack. Not much to ask for at that steep a price, I feel.

18. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

I am glad and I’m still getting it but it is not actually normal or okay that every other game in this franchise is a damn Monkey’s Paw

19. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    The “let’s write a letter to Sega” thread should be about the lack of classic gameplay in widescreen IMO. I’d much prefer Sega focus on patching that in than anything else at this point.
    Something tells me the game isn’t going to be updated at all though…