don't click here

Sonic 3C(ustomizable)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Hayate, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Ah, makes sense (I have that problem when making multiple button hacks too). By the way, is the hammer a separate object? As I noticed that if the attack hits with Amy rather than the hammer she gets hurt. This makes things a bit fiddly, I'd advise either just making Amy's object attack during the animation or using a larger object (maybe like the hearts in Advance).

I'm fine with either button, given recent discussions however, I'd heavily advise B.

I eagerly await revision 1.2. :)

*twiddles thumbs, looks at watch*

2. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Nope, there is no hammer object (unless debug mode is on, in which case it does create an object which shows a ring sprite at the hammer's location, but this doesn't actually do anything gameplay-wise).

The hammer position is stored relative to Amy's position in Amy's SST. Collisions are done with a special routine which adds the positions and then behaves similarly to TouchResponse.

The fact that Amy can still get hurt while attacking is entirely intentional. Playing as Amy is supposed to require more skill and timing than Sonic, if you don't want to lose your rings.

I had fun practicing landing on the AIZ midboss with the correct timing to score six hits in a single jump, I hope other players will enjoy this challenge (in all bosses, of course!) too :)

I wasn't asking you which button I should use - the option of A, B, C or the default Down+Jump will be given in the customizer.

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

You mean like it recognises which sprites and/or directions Amy is in and checks them as invincible? It's a nice idea, but even then I would maybe enable a little more time and freedom for her attack, or edit her radius when using the move, it seems a tad too precise.

Well with any button, you're saving a lot of commotion anyway. :v:

4. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Well, it doesn't check directions or animation frames. It just tells enemies to die if they're in a certain box, which is always on a certain side of Amy, so if she jumps into something from that side, the enemy dies before it can hurt her.

5. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I'd recommend using B as the 'default' option, though.

6. I don't know how much help this will be...but in Sonic 3 alone... Sonic lives in Knuckles' half.

7. Aberdorf

Aberdorf

Are you planning of making an equivalent of those options (.exe) for the Mac OS X?

I really like this thing, never finished Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckles (or Sonic 3 & Knuckles), so right in time to finish the game, in time for Sonic 4.

Thanks a lot.

8. Great that this is still being worked on. I like amy, but can we have her use her hammer to destroy blocks? I want to get the speed shoes, but she can't hit it. :(

9. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Thats because the coding for Knuckles' boss/screen resizing isnt in Sonic 3 Alone...

10. Just for reference, the coordinates of all the double rings in S3K are:

Code (Text):
    1. AIZ 1
    2. 1EB0 04C4
    4. HCZ 2
    5. 2040 01D6
    7. ICZ 1
    8. 4E34 01AC
    9. 4E4C 01AC
    11. FBZ 2
    12. 2964 08B8
    14. LRZ 1
    15. 12A8 0660
    16. 12C8 0660
    17. 12E8 0660
    18. 1308 0660
    19. 23D8 0578

11. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    I can't compile to Mac, but I will release the source code for the customizer with the next major release (I.e. 2.0). Alternatively, you could use WINE.

Her hammer is supposed to destroy all kinds of breakable blocks, including Knuckles-only ones. However, some haven't been programmed to react to the hammer yet, and strangely, some will break whenever the hammer is swung no matter where on the screen the hammer is (e.g. MGZ breakable blocks).

I'll fix them if/when I do anything with the ring layouts. It's not exactly a priority, though!

12. It's just a simple DSR issue - if you look at loc_1C64E (in Stealth's disasm) you'll see

Code (ASM):
    1.                 cmpi.w  #3,($FFFFFF08).w
    2.                 bne.s   loc_1C660
    Changing the first line to

Code (ASM):
    1.                 cmpi.b  #2,($FFFFB038).w
    will make it check if Knuckles is the main character instead of checking if the player mode is Knuckles alone and fix the problem.

13. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Thanks for finding that! I was looking all over the level scripts but I didn't know there was a standard DSR as well (why SEGA didn't just put the standard DSR in the level events is beyond me).

It also doesn't help that the scroll manager (which calls the DSR) is called "Restart_From_Starpost" in the disasm... I've checked every line of code in it and nowhere does it do any restarting from starposts.

I'll change it so that it chooses the path based on the current Y screen location, rather than character, because Amy should be able to go either way.

14. Yeah, having 3 separate event routines (DSR, LevelEvents, TriggerEvents) gets kinda confusing. Pretty cool hack btw, Amy takes a little getting used to but she's fun after that.

15. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    ...Um.

This is going to be harder than I thought.

[​IMG]

16. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Banned
    It's alright Hayate.

Just try to get the characters to stay in their own slots first.

17. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Sorry if this has already been asked but will you be adding anymore moves to Amy (eg. her high jump or hammer dash from Advance)?

Also will you be adding anything to Competition Mode (eg. glide and climb to Knux or playable 'mini Amy')? Those two are probably a stretch to make but it's worth asking.

18. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    I laughed all the way through that video. That was awesome.

I haven't tested special stages AT ALL in this hack yet, but it makes sense for Sonic to show up for the other characters. I dunno what's up with the glitches on the results screen though.

The other things in the video have been fixed, though (other than the appearances of Sonic's and Knuckles' sprites for Amy's missing animations).

She already has a high jump. I intend to implement the Advance behaviour of gaining extra spring height if you hit a spring with her hammer though.

If by the hammer dash you mean the attack she can do while running without losing speed, I /might/ implement that. I have been thinking about it.

There are no other moves I'm intending to add though.

I won't be adding anything to Competition Mode, and I might just remove it completely because of the amount of space it takes up (I'm going to need quite a bit of extra space for new levels/parts of levels). I don't think anyone would really miss it if I got rid of it - you could just play original S3K if you wanted to play the 2P levels.

19. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

You have? How do you activate it, since I take it's not activated by Down and hammer like Advance due to that button combo being used (or is this something implemented after Rev 1.1's release?).

Actually I was talking about the downward dash in Advance after you jump-hammer while holding Down.

Makes sense, if it's not going to have anything new and it could be used for extra areas and secrets it may be worth it. You upgraded co-op so multiplayer does profit in another manner I guess.

20. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    I meant that her jump height is already a lot higher, so you really don't need the alternate high jump move.

Oh, that one. No, I don't intend to add that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.