don't click here

Sonic Fan Remix

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by pelikan13, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I'll upload a mirror of this when it's done downloading. Rapidshare is horrible right now.

2. Retroman

Retroman

3. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Just saw that youtube video of the complete demo. This is probably one of the greatest projects to ever come out of this community, ever. I cannot wait to see more levels. :D

4. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    I might as well come out of my shadow and post these and the video OSM mentioned.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D315B1S7
    http://www.mediafire.com/?0bevb78j3551j8c

Courtesy of /v/

Terrific job fellows. Even if you don't complete this project you've more than proven yourselves fully capable of creating something astonishing and stick true to a clear vision in such a short amount of time. If only other people in the community had your passion.

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    This is supposed to be 3D right? Cause I couldn't tell.

I don't know much about Unity or it's field-of-view settings and whatnot, but whatever you're doing hardly makes anything look 3D. The entire environment looks like it's pre-rendered 2D, except in a few areas. I don't know if this was intentional or not, so I'm pointing it out.

There is a bug in one of the loops of Act 3 that doesn't let me go through backwards. I'd take a screenshot, but I accidentally closed the window and I don't feel like playing through again right now. I'll take a screenshot tomorrow.

Judging this as a piece of art, it's beautiful. Not Sonic 4 as I imagined it by a long shot, but beautiful. I still think the visuals are better suited to a remake/remix of Sonic 3 and Knuckles. The Sonic model is also stunning. I'd like to see the animations by themselves, so I can get an idea of how they were done. You're probably not too keen on doing something like that though, I understand.

As a game, it's average. Enemy placement was strange and forced me to memorize where they would be. Level design in places where you tried to switch it up were fun extras, but felt shallow in the long run. The physics were also a little off. When Sonic got moving, he lost his feeling of solidity. It's difficult to describe, really. Other words I could use are hollow, empty. He felt like he lost his mass the faster he got. Yes yes, that is true of how objects work in real life, but that never really happened to me in the original games this is attempting to emulate. No matter how fast Sonic went in the original games, he never felt like he was losing mass. This last criticism probably doesn't make sense though, and I can't elaborate further, so feel free to disregard.

6. Tylinos

Tylinos

Since my computer is an old, constantly overheating piece of junk, I haven't been able to play the demo, but I at least watched the gameplay video. While I can't really speak for the gameplay, it looked like it played well, though some parts seemed a bit stiff. Might've just been the player. Hard to judge from a video anyway.

The graphics, however... They aren't bad, but they just really don't make it feel like a Sonic game. At all. They actually make me think of Vectorman instead. This would be a good thing if it was a Vectorman fan game, but not so much for Sonic. I just can't get into liking the look of it when it doesn't look much like a Sonic game.

But hey. Gameplay's more important than graphics anyway. I just wish I was able to try it for myself.

7. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    I played it, and I must say, it looks absolutely fantastic. Really great job.

Sadly, the visuals are a double edged sword. My poor computer just couldn't handle it, even on it's lowest settings. It was more like a Viewmaster reel than anything. Too bad, I was rather looking forward to playing the full version.

8. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    This game.

Holy shit, this game.

Bravo.

Seems to be fairly CPU-dependent; why is that?

9. You can see slight 3D scrolling on the sides of platforms, so I'd say it's probably using a really narrow FOV (like 5-10 degrees at most). Unity can also do orthogonal view too, although I'd say the reason they didn't do that was perhaps for the background and foreground scrolling layers?

10. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    This is truely Sonic 4 as I imagined it.

Ok, seriously, this was utterly fantastic. I can't remember the last time a Sonic fan-game or hack that even came close to this level of quality. I wish you all the best for the future with this project and hope to see it finished one day.

11. Huepow00

Huepow00

That Crazy Bunny Member
    Orange County
    SSK: Super Sonic Knockout
    "This is what SONIC 4 SHOULD have been."

Congratz.

12. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I can only get ~12fps on lowest settings, but the CPU usage is only ~10%, which suggests to me you're making the graphics card do too much (or at least, you're making my graphics card do too much). There are a couple of little niggles with the physics too, but I can look past them.

I'm impressed with how it looks, though. pelikan did a good job.

13. anjerarts

anjerarts

Wow! It looks better than I hoped it would. I still have some suggestions (who doesn't?) but I'll get back with that later so I can play the demo some more and think things through.

One thing I'm wondering though: I read you planned to release the final game for both Windows and OSX, will there also be a demo for mac in the future?

Good luck with the other levels. It looks great so far, something you can be proud of :)

14. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Great work, I love it and so does my little nephew who has been playing it for a good hour now on the family computer :P

15. Deef

Deef

Just reporting that I love how the waterfall sound effects drown out everything; that's probably my favourite thing. Especially when you pass under 4 of the small ones in a row... if you're running fast you hear them coming then all that "schvlerp schvlerp schvlerp schvlerp" as you pass under them. I like how they just stand out above all other sound.

16. this game looks and sounds amazing! however I say this only because I have watched a youtube video of it. Whenever I try to play the game I keep getting a pink screen and then nothing happens. Is there anything I can do, or does that mean my computer won't let me play it?

17. I can't tell if you're joking or not, because that bothered the crap out of me, especially when they would phase and sound even louder. I think it needed to be softer to be present without drowning out the music.

But I've noticed some nice touches that I thought were great-
    The butterflies that flew around to add some atmosphere. Very DKC.
    The way that rain fell off of the level and trees, and the water trail Sonic left behind when he spindashed. In the first level I see the same effect with the leaves, MHZ style.
    And the background layering was nice too. A good blend of 2D and 3D elements scrolling.

18. TheLoz

TheLoz

UK
    Learning
    This ... is very nicely done indeed.

It does, as a lot of people have said, look too busy, though. Doesn't need a lot of toning down, but maybe slightly.
    The Sonic model is perfect, and really captures the feel of the old Sonic games. However, he does look a little...plastic? Too
    shiny, I think.

Also the sound levelling. I know it's early days, but the sound effects do drown out *everything*, especially the music. And that
    screechy skidding noise is terrible.

I really, really hope this project reaches completion. It's looking incredible so far.
    It's beyond awesome that Blake Robinson is doing the music, also. His remixes are amongst the absolute best out there, especially
    his orchestral boss remixes.

19. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    Amazing game. I really loved it. My jaw was also most of the time open :D. Physics are correctly done. I loved the 2nd and 3rd level the most. Very beatiful.

20. kazade

kazade

A 2D Physics Engine
    Amazing! It runs "OK" under Wine on the "Fastest" setting, I tried "Beautiful" but got a crash near the end of Act 1. Seriously, the best Sonic fan game ever, I spent half the time just standing and admiring the scenery. :)

Nice work on the physics Mercury :D