don't click here

Pix'N Love's ‘history of Sonic the Hedgehog’ book

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Lanzer, May 8, 2012.

1. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    So after reading the first quarter of the book, it's definitely a great start for reference books regarding Sonic.

Future Some reference books could expand on Sonic's TV career. They mention AoSTH and SatAM briefly in the 1993 section. The other ones, like the two japanese episodes, SU, and Sonic X had no mention (yet). There should definitely be more visuals of cut content from the games, especially Hidden Palace, Dust Hill, etc. Even if it were just passing mentions, it would add to the content, and show what could have been. Also, discography with Sonic music, that could add more padding to the reference books, lol.

Or perhaps they're saving that type of material for a second volume...? Eh, who knows.

2. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I also noticed something when they talk about aosth and satam. it says aosth was first aired in Europe, and then satam. and I can say that is true, because that is how it showed here. Bit it also says that in USA it was the other way around: first they aired satAM and then aosth. that...is not true, isn't it? it doesn't make any sense to be like that, specially since satam is a sequel of sorts of aosth.
    it also says aosth is a european and USA collaboration project, but as far as I know, that was Underground's not aosth...isn't it?

3. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    They have a lot of information that's not quite 100% accurate in there. I blame it on shoddy initial research rather than localization.

4. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I can name a few inaccuracies off the top of my head.

-The Sonic minigame in SEGA Superstars was based on the Special Stages of Sonic Rush.
    FALSE. It was quite obviously based on the Sonic Heroes Special Stages. Rush wasn't even released till the next year.

-The History of the First Stage White and Blue Editions were the soundtrack for Generations.
    FALSE. Generations had a 3-disc soundtrack called Blue Blur. History of the First Stage was just what it sounds like - two albums with songs from a bunch of the games' first stages. Also included in Generations Collectors Edition as a single disc.

-The Hedgehog Engine is what allows the 2D-3D gameplay changes in the Modern Stages in Generations.
    FALSE. THE HEDGEHOG ENGINE IS A RENDERING ENGINE. NOT. A. FUCKING. GAMEPLAY. ENGINE. HOW MANY TIMES DO PEOPLE HAVE TO BE TOLD THIS. Besides, did Generations even use the Hedgehog Engine?

-Sonic Heroes was released on Sonic's 12th anniversary.
    FALSE. The game was released in late 2003/early 2004. Nowhere near June 23.

-Lacey Chabert voices Meg Griffin on Family Guy.
    FALSE. Mila Kunis has voiced Meg since Season 2.

I should also mention they use nothing but SADX screenshots for SA1.

5. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    #165 here. Unfortunately one of the back corners is pretty badly bent, but what can ya do? Really, really pleased with the book, though. My eyes are NOT at all used to reading the printed word after all these years of staring at back-lit screens, so I'm probably going to have to get some reading specs to really enjoy it, but I love the style.

6. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    Generations does use the Hedgehog Engine. I'm not sure why it doesn't show the logo though.

7. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Could you link me somewhere that confirms it? Not that I don't believe you.

8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Jimmy actually hacked the logo back in when the first 360 demo came about.

EDIT: He apparently also did it on the Steam version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhWT-IGof_k

9. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I remember when this book first came about, there was a youtube video that showed someone flipping through it and showed some concept art for S2 that I don't think we have scans of..

Some of the pictures can be seen here: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=26528&st=0 (are these even saved on the wiki anywhere? All I can find is the cyber city scan)

Are those in the book or am I remembering wrong? If so I would love to see scans.

Edit: This video from the first page @ 2:43 in you can see ARZ, not sure if there's more..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rD-QJI1TVz4

10. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    Sega was licensing the Hedgehog Engine then stopped, didn't they? I wouldn't put the logo to my engine on my game if it became in-house. But, yes, Generations does use the Hedgehog Engine, which is a GRAPHICS engine. I'm surprised they messed that up... or is it a redering engine? Is there that big of a difference?

11. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    Rika Chou that picture is in the book..its on Page 121....[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

12. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    #138 over here. I'm in the middle of Zone 2 right now (I'm basically at the point where Sega is doing a bunch of advertising for Sonic through "Genesis Does", Dreams Come True, etc.). There has been an inconsistency or two (and quite a number of periods missing from where they should obviously be), but nothing too major. I'm really enjoying the tone of the author, as that's mostly what I have to look forward to; I pretty much know the history of Sonic. I just jumped at the chance to get the limited edition because, why not? I really appreciate it, anyway.

13. nesboy43

nesboy43

For anyone who has just started reading through the book, don't be disappointed at the details about each game left out by the history section. A lot more details that are game specific are covered in later sections of the book. Also whats great is that even the Master System/Game Gear titles are covered.

14. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    How about the Sonic Unleashed -> Generations porting project right on this very forum? The entire reason that's possible is because Sonic Generations uses an upgraded version of Sonic Unleashed's tech, which is Hedgehog Engine. There's even leftover Unleashed assets in Generations, including the entire shader/renderer set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcsQKKYR1qk

It is sort of weird that people out there would still be skeptical, even a little bit :v:

Unless you were talking about just the logo like everyone else seemed to insinuate, in which case I look like a giant asshole right now.

15. I just got the Limited Edition Pix 'n Love book in, and here's the thing, I didn't pay for it. I decided I didn't want to buy it as I was looking at the "submit" button, and closed the page. So they didn't charge me, but it's here at my office. Maybe I'll get charged later.

#151 represent.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Hahahahaha! Nope, you got it free! Some people cancelled their orders of the original French version before it released and were given refunds, only for them to still receive the book regardless.

17. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    I ordered my copy yesterday. Can't wait to recieve it.

18. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I received mine a couple of days ago. It's truly a beautiful book! I was expecting a lot less, I'm surprised and quite pleased that Sonic got this much respect.

Also, I purposefully bought the standard edition because I like the cover better. Full colour FTW!

19. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    I've posted this one when I got the book months ago :

[​IMG]

20. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Is there anything particularly new or exciting about this book, or is it just a bunch of relatively known things compiled into a book? I'd like to get it if it has interesting concept art and such in it.