don't click here

Classic Sonic Mangás

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Yuski, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  2. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Ugh. While having the translation is nice and all, couldn't you, you know, actually TRANSLATE and drop the bloody honorifics? I, DR.EGGMAN-SAMA KAWAII DESU NE?

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Agreed.... It feels half-translated this way.

4. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    Heh, I kind of like it that way =P

5. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
    I personally don't like that too... but isn't me who's translating. I was going translate it to "Lord Dr.Eggman", but better than no translation.

And too bad Ryoga Masaki discontinued the Dash & Spin Hyper-Speed Sonic translation project. I have the 2 volumes of it, but I will not destroy the books to scan and translate. :v: I can do that with some Dengeki DS mags I got in the future.

About the Dengeki DS mangas... I don't understand why they don't release this mangá in Tankobon! D: The material published is enough to make more than 2 tomos!

http://ds.dengeki.com/

6. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Iirc, calling him Dr. Eggman is already a translation of the honorific, I don't recall there being any "Dr." in The Japanese versions.

7. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    this is nice...

I suggest you provide your page with RSS... to follow more easily ...

8. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

I still have the World Adventure Manga somewhere on disc, though the link the wiki has is already dead. The quality isn't much but it was what was made available at the time, which was already pretty great.

By the way, there were two chapters and a hint that Black Knight would have one as well but I never found anything. Do you have info about that?

9. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    I can help translate these if yall need. I speak pretty good japanese.

10. Yuski

Yuski

Yes, Sonic World Adventure manga run for 8 months. Then, we had only 3 Chapters of Ankoku to Kishi/Black Knight going from 9 to 11 and right now it's on Sonic Chronicles, I believe the next one is Sonic Colors. But the manga don't follow a cronology, so the chapters can be read in any order.

Also, on Today's page released at the site, Sarah from Sonic OVA started to makes sense. =P

11. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Am I seeing Sonic in his band? Am I also seeing that Robotnik wants to get the Chaos Emeralds and rule the world so he could cook a giant egg?

I must announce to the world the good news: we just found the perfect (and true) canon to the Sonic series. If this is what the prequel is about then I'm all for it.

12. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    And therefore, Robotnik > Wily.
    + - Sorry, Chimps.  
    [​IMG]

13. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I've always had trouble excepting different background stories to Sonic than Robotnik simply coming in one day and Sonic fighting him, but something about this story just feels... right. Thanks!

14. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    What the hell is up with all those girls? o_o Also, Eggman using the Chaos Emerald to cook an egg... now THAT's something original, I must say.

15. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

~sama is more akin to lord. However his name is written ??????????, literally "Docter Eggman." His robots would obviously use the suffix ~sama, but it doesn't really make sense in english and just makes you look silly when you leave it hanging in a translation.

Also, it's pretty dumb to translate ???as "waa." It's not an onomonopia, it's an actual word. The translation is "wow."

16. ...an odd question, from someone who's an aspiring localization director: In the last panel of the first page, what was Sonic saying in Japanese? I feel like I'm nitpicking, but this feels like... hyper-direct translations.

Additionally: "I, Doctor Eggman-sama, shall turn South Island into my fortress, yes!!" ... would probably read more naturally in English as "I, the great Dr. Eggman, [...]". I apologize for playing backseat editor, but... yeah.

Once the donation goal is met, are the comics going to possibly pop up in their original language?

17. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

The last panel on the front page indeed sounds like a very direct translation. Maybe something like "??????????????!" which sounds like something Sonic would say in Japanese. Which could translate directly into "think you can make a big shout" but would be more accurate to say "Could you (literally "do you think you could") give me a big cheer" or, if you want to sound smooth and not as literal, something more like "let's make some noise!"

18. That's what I was thinking, but I didn't want to just throw my backseat editing in without proper context. :x A lot of the most glaring issues I have with this are issues with direct translation. The idea of translation isn't just "okay, J to E." If it's purely direct, a lot of the nuance of the characters gets lost. Seeing Sonic say "Think you could make a big shout?" sounds... awkward. But "You guys ready to make some noise?" is a little "cooler".

I'm also kind of wondering about Dr. Eggman's verbal tic with "yes". I'm personally tinkering with a translation for a game where all the old men consistently use "??" at the end of their statements, because... they're old men. I could translate every sentence they use as "Well, [...]", but it would look funny. Instead, I try to use more refined English for them. Perhaps Eggman just needs a more grandiose vocabulary?

19. Yuski

Yuski

ICEKnight released them some weeks ago, but I'm to lazy to search the topic. :v:

But yes, in the future he plans to release the RAW of those mangá.

Also, Eggman is finishing his sentences with "Yes" most of the time, maybe it should be "Yosh"?

20. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

The yes at the end of the sentences is akin to dattebayo in Naruto or oro in Kenshin?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.