don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

Lol I'm not saying what I'm about to for the sake of a funny reply but...

I literally have better things to do XD.

No really. I've been working on 2 massive Sonic Adventure videos and was about halfway through the 2nd one when I looked into just the Julie-Su listing.

I'm nearly finished and... I still don't wanna look through the rest because lol what's the point?

He just ignores anyone who points out this information, his comic project might as well be a kickstarter scam at this rate given how it constantly gets pushed back or the scope changes.

If anyone else wants to then go ahead it'd be interesting to see, but I just... don't care XD

2. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    That's fair, I just wasn't in a position to finagle with it on my phone when I sent the previous message.

3. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Looked up Julie-Su on the same site just to see. The two he provides in his Tweet here Media Tweets by Ken Penders (@KenPenders) / Twitter result in these links:

U.S. Copyright Public Record System "KNUCKLES THE ECHIDNA - REUNIFICATION - Part 1 SEGA DATA FILE: 7 STATION SQUARE."
    U.S. Copyright Public Record System "MOBIUS: 25 YEARS LATER - Prologue."
    I'm seeing him making claim to work he's provided. Not seeing him claim he owns any characters within...

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I kinda despise that he knows nobody relevant is going to kick the hornet's nest by trying to sue him for "profiting" off of characters that he doesn't own, but it does speak volumes to how few shits anybody relevant actually gives about his work and the value it's (not) added to the Sonic franchise as a whole.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Nonsense, who could forget such classics as

Robo Robotnik
    Evil Sonic
    Green Knuckles
    Douchey Skunk
    Echidna with name that sounds like Star Trek (open ended take your pick)
    Knuckles' awful dad
    Strange army of fire ants with equally weird names (Archimedes? I think? I think he forgot often that kids read those comics I often couldn't pronounce the names he thought up of, and equally can't remember them. That doesn't help longevity. I only remember Lein-Da and Julie-Su because I really like what Flynn did with them)

With characters like that I should offer him some of my old fan characters. Same basic idea. Got an orange shadow with blue stripes, he's a good boy I sculpted it in like 6th grade art class

6. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    If he owns stories that introduced certain characters, isn't also the character considered his?

It can't be this easy. Copyright is tricky.

7. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I don't know, I'd say that's the point. Copyright is a tricky beast so of course you only get stuff piece meal.

8. Taylor

Taylor

From my understanding of the lawsuit, SEGA pressured Archie to get it settled ASAP. It's possible that SEGA/Archie's rushing of the situation led to Penders thinking he owned the characters when he really didn't. Or maybe they agreed to let Penders use the characters as if he owned them.

Of course, the law only matters if it's actually enforced, and I don't think SEGA cares to get involved with another legal dispute with Ken

9. Forte

Forte

Poland
    There's no need for Sega to concern itself with him. Best he can do is post some really creepy fanart, do anyone really believe that he's capable of releasing the Donkey Kong Chronicles?

Seeing him posting Shade related art / claiming rights to Scourge makes me a bit angry, but then I remind myself, that he's just a middle aged guy, rambling on twitter about his past achievements.

Literally no one would care about what's he up to if he stopped posting to Twitter.

And that's sad.

10. Snowbound

Snowbound

Penders knows that he does not own Shade. Yeah he included the armor on an NFT (which I doubt Sega cares about) but he’s admitted
    in multiple tweets that the Chronicles legal dispute is “unresolved” from Sega’s perspective. (
    https://twitter.com/kenpenders/status/1490361739753373701?s=21 + https://twitter.com/kenpenders/status/1480664873428209665?s=21)
    Thus if he used Shade then Sega COULD take action against him. That’s why he’s claiming he’s only going to REFERENCE shade in the lara su comic... y’know cuz referencing a character is VERY different from actually USING the character. For instance just because the band Genesis referenced Superman in the lyrics of their song “Land Of Confusion” that does not mean they could publish a Superman comic book.
    Penders’ admitted to this in a tweet stating he’s “simply using Shade as part of Julie-Su’s bio and a sequence in a story, nothing more. If neither SEGA or EA take action, then I’ve established my claims to SONIC CHRONICLES, including Shade.” (https://twitter.com/kenpenders/status/1345515261550419968?s=21) I doubt that Penders will ever finish his comic so I suspect this is all about maintaining appearances. Even IF Penders does finish his comic I still doubt that a court of law would rule in his favor. However this does demonstrate the type of sneaky shit Penders has pulled throughout his career.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  11. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
  12. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Yet he considers Ian's redesign as canonical?

13. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    LET’S FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    9A2DBC23-8168-42DC-90AE-91F6175AD928.jpg

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Badge of honor

15. Snowbound

Snowbound

C818AF61-F022-4357-83FA-047758B21113.jpeg
    Man he is going to be so salty when the Knuckles show comes out and NONE of his ideas are used. I suspect he’ll be real annoying about how the echidna tribe from SA1 was a rip off of his comics... even tho they weren’t and his version of a echidna society is basically a rip off of the Kryptonians from classic superman

16. Forte

Forte

Poland
    Ehh... The show is going to use Echidna lore from 3&Knuckles and possibly - Adventure 1 . No one gives a shot about his storylines from Archie.

Also, regarding the Scourge pic...
    "Look how he massacred my boy" is literally the only thing that comes to my mind. Let's just take scourge and strap him of everything unique. Let's make him a Sonic recolour.

Thank goodness Evan Stanley made an unofficial, yet very satisfying sendoff for the character in ghost of the future. That for me was the canonical end of Scourge the Hedgehog. Thank You Evan, if you are ever reading this.

17. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    In case you're curious, this is what got me blocked.

Ken seems to get REALLY mad when people call his work "fan art." I know he blocked Cinossu (one of Retro's admins) for jokingly calling his art fan art in a reply.

18. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Can't be arsed to look up his name but there was one that literally wore the same eye visor thing that Geordi La Forge wears on TNG.

LOL same here. I had one that was a gender-swapped, re-colored Tails with magic powers. I think her name was Sabrina. I do recall making some echidna characters too but I think even those had a bit more variety than what Ken came up with.

19. Forte

Forte

Poland
    The funny thing is, his drawings are basically the definition of fanart. Look at his latest drawing of Green Sonic, and tell me otherwise :V

20. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    He probably uses Ian's version to avoid (quicker) action by SEGA, and/or because he knows this version is more popular than his and wants to take advantage of it. He has taken full credit for Scourge before, hasn't he?