don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Yeah. He probably realizes that Scourge is the only version of Evil Sonic fans ever gave a shit about, so he's more than happy with appropriating him. Even though he insists that Flynn only ever mishandled his characters (despite admitting to having never read his work).

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Considering the only other thing he's actually done any substantial work on that people gave two shits about (i.e. not The Republic) was Trek comics, this makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I wonder where we'd be right now had nobody ever suggested that two girl Echidnas were similar in any way.

4. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Was he always like this? Rambling on Social Media about past glory days and fighting with people? I mean, pre-lawsuit?

5. Flare

Flare

This.

I always feel pity for him. Not sympathy... but just pity that this is his life.

At the end of the day, if I never posted about Sonic the Hedgehog my life would go on as normal. His life seems centred around the nonsense of owning characters, the people he has to block, and mediocre artwork.

6. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    But I mean, he could just as easily not do this stuff. There's no reason it has to be as hilariously dumb as it is.

Like, even if he still did the lawsuits and (allegedly) made TLSC, there is a timeline out there where, by not being completely hostile to his own fans and co-workers (let alone the greater Sonic fandom and creative staff as a whole), neither of those things looked quite like the dumpster fires they do in our reality. All it would have taken is to not be a dick.

The renounced tone he gives with the NFT bullshit is what really does it for me. He all but says "yes, I know exactly why this sucks, but I'm doing it anyway because I feel like it", and that might as well be the slogan for all his work. He is delusional, sure, but lucid enough that neither you nor he can really blame anyone but him for it all.

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Unfriendly reminder that this is the same man who backstabbed Ben Hurst when he was trying to finish Sonic SatAM via talks with SEGA and proceeded to brag about writing the Sonic the Hedgehog movie treatment.

He knows what he's doing.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    What can I say? Man's an asshole through and through. I'd feel bad for him if he didn't bring it onto himself.

Curious what he does for money these days. Does he have a job or what? He's certainly not selling that Lara Su comic and I'm sure his reputation has made getting gigs harder. Can't imagine working with him was a walk in the park.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  9. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    I mean, he probably made bank off of Sonic back at Archie, but it's been fifteen years since he left, so there can't be too much honey left in the jar.

He was taking care of, like, some older relatives of his I think full time for a while? Might have gotten some from them.

I keep wanting to say his wife is a doctor and makes a decent income, but I'm legitimately not sure if my three-hours-of-sleep brain is actually confusing him with a totally different twitter clown.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    No, I believe his wife is the breadwinner in their house.

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Only until The Lara-Su Chronicles and his revolutionary comic app come out. Because, you know, those are going to take the world by storm and SEGA will be really sorry.

12. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    https://twitter.com/chickenn_joy/status/1496585249996042240?s=21

I was deliberating whether this kind of thing is appropriate for the site but I think it’s notable that, up to now, Penders gaffes have been largely self-contained in terms of aggrandising about himself and his work on Sonic. It’s discomforting to see him upload a photo of a (former) fan to social media without their consent in an attempt to spin a narrative about his reach as a writer.

13. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    I don't think it's inappropriate per se, rather I think it has a limited lifespan. Penders is unlikely to stop making bad decisions like this (why is it always Asian women with this guy?), but it's entirely likely the very-recent post will be removed.

Given that this is the latest in a series of both vapid promotion attempts for his nonexistent comic and racist flubs on his part, it's worth remembering, but only as one more nasty thing on the pile (and, perhaps unfortunately, a rather poorly-documented pile at that).

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Someone probably should go through and document this pile, but...do we really want to give him the time of day?

15. Snowbound

Snowbound

The issue isn’t just that he uploaded a picture of a fan without consent... it’s that it’s a picture of a MINOR he met at a con whose nationality he mis-identified in order to make a political/human rights argument.
    The only good thing from this icky post is that in the comment section a twitter user called Ken out on his shit regarding Scourge and he was unable to defend himself so he just said that he couldn’t reveal more info due to the settlement. LMFAO sure Ken.

Attached Files:

16. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    His influence unfortunately extends such that his biggest base, his most ardent supporters, are the ones who view him as "taking Sonic back" from Flynn and Stanley for writing (subtextual) LGBT relationships or Gray and Yardley for speaking publicly about BLM, and they will outlive both TLSC and Penders himself. I do think that a compendium on the things he's said and done to get us to this point would be useful, and the ways he and his rhetoric have hurt people should not be forgotten.

17. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

Discomforting is putting it lightly. It's a flat out racist and personal violation of the trust that a former fan put in him. It's using a real person as prop in an attempted humble-brag. It's honestly a surprising new low.

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Valid point. I especially want what he did to Ben Hurst to be more known, I especially despise backstabbing when someone extends an Olive Branch and it caused Ben to give up ever trying to finish that series...

19. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Regardless of how SatAM comes off nowadays, Ben Hurst certainly had a nuanced mentality of "if it happens, great. If not, it wasn't meant to be" that I can admire. He would push for things if possible, but wouldn't overstep his bounds and knew to plan accordingly.

You know, in that way that Penders thinks he's a natural at.

I hate how much of myself I can see in him. He is the best trainwreck to watch and the worst reflection of oneself. He is, literally, his own worst enemy. That's a goddamn accomplishment, lmao.

20. Snowbound

Snowbound

I don’t know you but I will say that the fact that you are self aware means it’s possible to make personal improvements. Penders on the other hand.. everything he cared about and wanted to do with Sonic he sabotaged and is now being done (better) by other people due to his complete lack of self awareness. We’re still getting Sonic comics along with the MOVIE he always wanted and a TV SHOW about Knuckles... and it was all done without Penders

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List