don't click here

Upcoming Sonic 30th anniversary news coming 27th May

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Ted909, May 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm gonna miss the stream, have a meeting right at 11am CT.

Will there be a link to watch afterwards?

Edit: realize someone asked this question already. Anyway, a link would be nice

2. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Well there's no bringing this milling machine to my apartment. Not that it would fit if I could.

I guess I'll watch the first half hour and then finish up after work.

3. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Just check out the Sonic YouTube page

https://m.youtube.com/user/sonic

EDIT: Someone else also posted an IGN link that will be covering the stream

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Eoncats

Eoncats

Confirmed Virgin Member
    Damn, 12pm is the ONE time of the day when I can't access the interwebs due to meetings. :V
    I'll try my best to watch as much of it live as I can, though, as the meeting doesn't start at precisely 12:00. :thumbsup:

5. Imma get to watch it live :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    One of the directors for yakuza retweeted the anouncment, which is interesting as IIRC he has said before that he would like to direct a sonic game.

I would link the actual tweet but I'm using an iphone4s right now and it would explode if I tried to do that

7. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Rocking the 4S? I'm uber impressed

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

He only said that back in November. I sincerely doubt that he's started work on a Sonic game in that time.

9. Childish

Childish

Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    Yep
    it's actually the first and only phone I've had. It has refused to give up on me so I'm not going to give up on it. Suprisingly it holds up well with ios6, it can still play the whitehead remakes which is cool as that was my first exposure to the classics on this verry phone, 8 years ago.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Obviously the announcement is going to be all the crossovers Sonic will be whored out to for the next 2 years. Who's ready for Sonic in Yakuza and Devil May Cry and CoD and every awful game that lies when advertising.

"Featuring Sonic from the Sonic the Hedgehog series" :V

11. Childish

Childish

Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    A yazuka crossover may explain the director retweeting the announcement though. Unless other sega stuff is going to be announced as well. I think they would wait for e3 for other stuff though as this is branded as a purely sonic thing.

12. MH MD

MH MD

Finally a URL of where it will be streamed.

also full screen URL for those who will catch it later and wants a total spoiler-free experience as possible

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • List
  13. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I feel like it could go either way, if not both ways. Besides the CBE renderer and other enhancements, the Hedgehog Engine 2 is still built on top of the original, and that had/has its many warts in regards to technical performance and asset quality. That much was clear with how much Forces only looked slightly better than Unleashed/Generations at its best moments, and at its worst looked like a discount game with a startling lack of polish. (That's not even getting into the rushed Switch port and how much of a visual/performance downgrade that was--not compared to other versions of Forces, but past Sonic games like Lost World and Generations.)

I'm of the opinion that regardless, I'd personally reach for a new graphics engine too for future Sonic games. But with how Sega CS2 is using it as their "default/house-style" engine (with it being used in the Sakura Wars reboot and M&S Tokyo 2020), I'll be surprised if it's not carried forward to future Sonic titles.

Off-topic; but I'm pretty sure Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury was never promoted as the next original Mario game. The announcement trailer started off with 3D World gameplay right off the bat (before the Bowser's Fury teaser that came later) and the original PR release made it clear that it was an updated re-release with a new campaign attached to it. I don't know how anyone could interpret a completely new Mario game out of that.

That and 3D World re-release is a enhanced port of the Wii U game, it's not a remake.

14. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    off the top of my head, Adventure sold super well in Japan, and that had to come from somewhere.

if they were fine before but worse now, that's not a model problem, that is an animator/management/budget/time problem.

The yakuza director is now, like, head of operations or something isn't he? so I wouldn't say "RGG team works on Sonic" so much as "this is big enough to involve him", which is a different flavor of fascinating!

-

I wouldn't mind re-releases of any of the post -06 pre-Gens games. I haven't bought colors for the Wii yet, and Unleashed is on consoles I either don't have or don't want to play on (even the PS3...), so releases to stuff I regularly use, like Switch and PC, would be preferred to me. I haven't played a 3D game since Heroes crushed my dreams, so.

15. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member

This is a game released well over 20 years ago that we're talking about here, to be clear. I don't doubt that SA1 sold decently over there (I'm inclined to believe their efforts to make a reasonable amount of people in Japan actually care about the series for the first ever time with Project Sonic worked to an extent), but if we want to judge how well Sonic is doing on their shores more recently, then let's look no further than Forces barely even shifting 10k debut sales.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  16. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I just can't freaking wait to see the new upcoming games and complain about all of them.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • List
  17. Chaud

Chaud

Honestly, Unleashed and Colors for PC is everything I wanted from this. It doesn't even need a remaster or anything like that, a port that works would be enough for me to be happy.

The ports of the other games, eh... Not so much. Widescreen is great, but with the decompiled versions of Sonic 1 and 2, and AIR, I won't miss it. If it was that version of Sonic 3 originally proposed by Stealth (I think) which, if I remember correctly, had the idea was to turn the multiplayer levels into full zones (like Hidden Palace was in Sonic 2) I'd throw my money on the screen right now. But other than that, I'm not very excited.

But there are only 12 hours left, so we will see. The good thing is that as I don't expect anything, I don't see how I can be disappointed.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  18. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    And I thought it would be a whole hour...

19. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    With that in mind I’d do my best to tell everyone this: expect no new game news.

Considering we know of Colors, a game collection, Hardlight autorunner junk and the highly likely corporate mess in between, thats probably all it is within those 12 minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.