don't click here

Upcoming Sonic 30th anniversary news coming 27th May

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Ted909, May 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Yeah that makes sense honestly, I doubt they'd want to miss out that Nintendo market

2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Yeah, Sonic has historically been on Nintendo more than anything else and the Switch is one track to become Nintendo’s best selling console of all time. SEGA will not be turning their nose up at that.

Also HARDlight has said they’ll be revealing *something* at the event but we don’t know what yet. I’ve seen an image of an app icon for Sonic Forces with Super Sonic, but idk how credible it is.

3. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Yea my expectations have hit rock bottom. I'm questioning if we'll see games at all beyond Colors.

4. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I'm expecting a trailer for an Adventure style game that has a complete lack of understanding on why people liked Adventure in the first place.

5. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    So Forces basically :V

6. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Interesting how they didn’t bother to mention the stream would only be 12 minutes long until the eleventh hour. It wouldn’t be a Sonic announcement without a PR strategy that tries to hide as much of the game as possible, I guess.

Regardless, I thank them for resetting expectations. I now imagine the only footage we’ll get for any new project is probably concept art of a tree from the game.

In silhouette.

On screen for only three seconds.

7. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    This is nitpicky. This might age poorly but both the Pokemon and Mario anniversary directs were only 15 and 12 minutes long respectively if you cut out the VERY long retrospectives each had. They might just be trimming that fat and just starting with that minute long video we saw yesterday, or a new one that's around the same length.

I don't expect a 5 minute trailer or anything for ANY game if it's announced in the first place. SEGA does a lot with Sonic worth complaining about but I'd hold off on this one until we see what they have for us today.

8. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I would rebut that Nintendo has a precedent of usually getting straight to the point with their streams where they announce several new game releases in a short period of time. Not all of them are winners, but their Nintendo Direct formats have practically become a de-facto template for other companies to pattern their own streams after. It’s now the to-go alternative to having showcases at press conferences at trade shows, if you want to make your game announcements some sort of major event.

As I alluded to in my previous post, we’re talking about a franchise/publisher that has historically taken strategies of dragging out the release of new information for a game at best and being straight up dishonest with the game they’re selling at worst.

It was only two years ago where they were seemingly promoting a soundtrack for a videogame more than the actual videogame itself with TSR.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  9. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I'd be astonished if they don't announce a new game. I know expectations are incredibly low, but it's been four years since a new mainline game, this event is being streamed by major game journalist sites like IGN, and it's the 30th celebration event.

If they don't announce anything then it's not our fault for getting our hopes up, SEGA have just completely lost the plot when it comes to the Sonic brand.

10. Also, Nintendo have historically a much better track record than Sega in terms of....everything.

11. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member

That's probably a fair enough point in terms of hardware and software at times, but there's a reason why Nintendo had stopped bothering with arcades by the end of the 1980s and Sega kept on innovating in that particular business into the 90s and beyond

12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I'm just expecting Colors Ultimate as the only real game they announce, and maybe the collection. I don't think the next game will be revealed until E3, and we'll get confirmation E3 is going to be when we get more Sonic stuff.

13. Which is only relevant where Arcades are still around, which is nowhere but Japan.

14. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    Veering off topic here but arcades have clearly continued to exist in the west in the form of chains combining them with other entertainment like Dave & Busters, Round1, etc in America. Quite a few still around in Europe and particularly the UK on coastal towns too

There was a decline after the 90s, but that obviously doesn't equate to them dying altogether. How else could've Sega released arcade cabinets of All Stars Racing and Mario/Sonic Olympics iterations in the past decade, as well as titles with industry-first features like Sega World Drivers Championship?

15. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    y'know what, with only 30 minutes to go I'd say it's pretty impressive that no major presentation details have leaked yet (aside from what already leaked pre-presentation)

that could be a sign that SEGA are being very protective and wanna blow us away... or that maybe there really is nothing major to show off ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

16. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Only 20 minutes until we find out what the hell Sonic Team's been doing these last 4 years.
    I hope so anyway, I'd be really lame for them to only announce a Colours remaster after all this time.
    Which is why that's exactly what they'll do :V

17. DaveDave

DaveDave

Me wishing:
    - Sonic Mania 2 (with 100% all new levels)
    - Sonic Collection (with rare titles like Chaotix, Fighters, R, Jam, etc with bucket loads of extras)
    - Sonic Colors Ultimate

Me being realistic:
    - Teaser for that Netflix series
    - Sonic Collection (all the Genesis titles along with Sonic CD, and Sonic Adventure 1/2)
    - Sonic Colors Ultimate

After stream EDIT: Lame. S3&k finally gets a re-release and it's just emulation.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  18. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    I'd hope they announce new stuff now while the spotlight is on Sonic, not at E3 where the spotlight is on everything but Sonic.

19. If by some miracle they announce a sequel/successor to Mania developed by Evening Star, I will be ecstatic. Otherwise, I'm not expecting anything impressive. 2017 should've been a huge wake-up call for Sonic Team, so I have to assume they instead chose to learn nothing and start lazily assembling another Forces-tier dull disappointment.

On the subject of the remaster, Colours was a beautiful Wii game, and the aesthetic of its level scenery is exactly the direction I would want the 3D series to go in visually, so having it at least slightly remastered sounds pretty nice to me. On the other hand, it's a good-but-not-great game that I've already played quite a few times, and I can't see an updated re-release doing anything to fix that. So, meh.

20. 10 minutes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.