don't click here

Sonic Mania Adventures

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by LukyHRE, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Went through the user reviews, clearly the 1 star ones are fake. Out of 700+ and not a single text review.

Edit: Maybe it was Chris-chan..

2. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    ...why are people spamming 1/10s on this? Did this piss off some weirdos who claim everything has an SJW agenda or something?

3. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I saw some sshots of 1* text reviews that seem to be removed now, they all have similar broken English and have similar comments (Modern Sonic/Sonic Boom is better etc). So it seems to be an attack by some people/person. They also seem to have bombed the positive reviews with unhelpful ratings it seems, not fully sure how the site works though.

4. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

Edit: Actually I don't want to link to that guys' account, cuz I don't want anyone to harass him or anything. It's just funny how when it got shown to me it was the exact same typos and sentences as the troll reviews lol. i dunno, some folks got a lot of time on their hands.

5. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

I'm glad we've at a point where big corporations have learned not to listen to anonymous cries on the internet.

6. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

I think in this instance it's just... very transparent

7. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Yay, it's up to the website's administration to fix things like that. Still...

8. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVf8PwzbGbs
    Plus was found out during production. How far in isn't really specified, but it seems like a parallel story, not so much a bridge from Forces to Plus.

9. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    So it wasn't originally supposed to be an ad for Plus?

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Storywise, Plus and Adventures contradict each other. Both show a completely different set of events after Sonic returns from Forces. It's not really an add on.

11. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I meant it eventually became sort of an advertisement but I guess it wasn't originally started for that purpose, which is cool I suppose.

12. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

True but that isn't a problem.

Should there ever be a sequel to Mania, they have the option of referencing the events of both (similar to how Mania borrowed some elements from the Sonic OVA and some fan games). The phrase "Loose Continuity" works here in that it makes no sense how both events could happen but if the sequel never explains but only references in non-chalant fashion nobody is bothered by it. If I'm gonna be honest, it's not like the Classic Sonic games are highly dependent on their narrative (see Sonic Game Gear and Master System games) which is a good thing.

13. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I think the simple solution is to not think too hard into it, as the simple answer is the stories are divided due to production timing. I can't really see any future games -needing- to call back to the events of Mania Adventures anyway, so Mania Adventures can easily be considered an "alternate take" on what happened after Forces, and Encore being the canon answer.

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Or the other way around, with Adventures being canon and Encore Mode being just that: an encore to Mania's levels.

15. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    At a guess Sega saw Mania lighting the charts on fire (it did rapidly reach over a million units with some speed) and wanted to amplify that hence commissioning this series. So I'm thinking it was probably to bolster the entire Mania project so not surprised to learn Plus came a little later. Sega reacted quite quickly then to Mania doing so well all things considered.

Fantastic series either way. The best Sonic has probably ever been in animation. Excellent work Tyson and hope there's more in the future.

16. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

Adventures ends with everything basically returning to status quo anyway. Encore and SMA both start the same way, with Sonic appearing back in Angel Island. If it needs to fit into any sort of timeline you could easily just say that it all happens during the time in that singular act in Angel Island and then Encore continues on from there for the rest of the game. That's my perspective on it anyway.

17. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    You're credited as writer and director. I think you get final say :v:. Unless Tax, Stealth, Tom, etc. want to pop in and have an official debate about Sonic canon.

The fact that's possible is still bewildering to me.

18. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    When the only thing we know for real is that the events are NOT based on true story -> Time Travel :specialed:

19. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

I mean, I think it goes without saying that whatever happens in the game trumps what happens in the cartoon. I don't think Mania Adventures NEEDS to exist within canon to be enjoyed since it's the freedom from the canon that allowed it to get so wacky.

20. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    All what they need at the end of Adventures is a static (non animated) scene of a battle damaged Metal Sonic spying on the gang while they eat the chill dogs. Clutched in his hand is the ruby. And standing next to him is the shadowy figure of Heavy Magician.
    The implication is that Metal Sonic & Magician used the ruby to get their revenge, by sending Sonic away in a portal, separating Tails and capturing Ray and Mighty. Because Metal Sonic is battle damaged, he can't control the ruby and ends up back on Little Planet. Eggman learns of Metal Sonic's transportation to the planet and decides to have another stab at his scheme thus setting up everything for encore. Well that's my head cannon anyway.

Edit: Just say Boxer Hockey's explanation which is much better (can't believe I skipped over it!).