don't click here

Sonic Mania Adventures

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by LukyHRE, Mar 30, 2018.

1. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    Realized all the Sonic Mania Adventures discussion was at the SXSW 2018 topic, so I thought of making its own topic given that Aaron just confirmed that the first episode is airing tomorrow on the Sonic YouTube's channel.

No exact time given, yet, gonna be hitting F5 all day long!

2. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Thanks a million for the heads up dude! Awesome news to see this morning! It's 7am here in the UK so guess that means the episode is due today then? Later tonight I'm guessing.

Really looking forward to the first episode. The sneak peek they showed at SXSW was excellent. Hope this helps promote Mania Plus and boosts pre-orders/sales of the game come Summer.

3. Linkabel

Linkabel

They usually post stuff around 9-10ish a.m. Pacific time so I'm assuming that's when the episode is going to hit.

4. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
  5. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    99.99% sure! 00.01% chance SEGA might create a 'Sonic Mania Adventures' dedicated Youtube channel for it if not.

6. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Yeah, this so cool.

I really appreciate them creating a story which brings closure to the whole "Classic Sonic ends-up in Forces" saga. I'm not expecting them to set up a story for a possible Sonic Mania 2. It means a lot just knowing classic Sonic is back in his Mania time-line so that we can forget Mania was ever linked to Sonic Forces!

When I think of Sonic 4 and how the end of episode 2's story left a lot of things unfinished/unanswered/unclear (partly due to the cancellation of episode 3), it's nice that SEGA would want to take the time to acknowledge what happens to classic Sonic after the events of Forces.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...I've been waiting for something like this for 25 years, and the team behind it seems to be the perfect fit. Can't wait to watch these.

Gotta say that it's kind of a bummer that it has to acknowledge Sonic Forces, but I guess that this "minor intoxication" was inevitable. I wish that the Mania team will be eventually allowed to make an alternate story that link's Mania's ending with Mania Adventures' starting point, without anything Forces in the middle ("Sonic Mania 1.5"?). =P

8. if Sonic Mania Adventures doesnt tell the audience where Sonic was when he disappeared after Mania then he could've gone anywhere. unless they directly acknowledge Forces within the story itself, then no big deal.

9. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDYbwdEn7rs

Episode 1 has just been uploaded!

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh that was so delightfully charming, I loved it. Can't wait to see more. God I love Tyson's drawings, I'm definitely getting some memories of Sonic's Big Fat Adventure with this (obviously not as silly but still).

EDIT: Oooh that post credits cliff hanger.

Got some Metal boy comin soon

The idiot in me has to wonder why Sonic has that Chaos Emerald though. Where'd he get that from? Was he just holding on to it since Mania?

EDIT 2: That trap looks familiar

[​IMG]

11. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    It was short but sweet! Made me laugh my ass off, Eggman's expressions were hilarious! xD

12. Felik

Felik

Hmmmm... I wonder who could possibly be in possession of those two chaos emeralds

13. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Well animated, cute premise, and successfully calmed my 3yo nephew down on a long car ride. Quality stuff.

So I guess Sonic held onto that Emerald throughout Forces, eh? :v:

14. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Great start. Really love the overall art direction. Really praise the abstract mix of soft shading with hard colors, and the embedded shapes within the environments. The animation is really good too, very expressive and bouncy; also like the established weight everything has (best example is Sonic's initial sprint chasing the animal capsule). The thin-line 2D animation and solid colors for characters also makes for really good contrast against the more painted-in visuals for backgrounds (and I like how those are subtly animated at parts, such as the foliage and the clouds).

Also commend the whole Golden Age of Animation vibe/direction of the short; which I think contributed to the writers absolutely nailing Sonic and Eggman's personalities. Their interactions are absolute gold. Questions about Sonic held on to a Chaos Emerald aside (which I understand, but I'm not quite as bothered); the story was pretty clear and to the point. I think that's also really well-reflected in the music as well; due to how it mixes together various cues/leitmotifs of stuff like Angel Island, the main theme, and Eggman's theme as well.

The only thing I'd say that could had worked better was some of the sound effects, namely Eggman's laugh; but otherwise that was supremely well done. Can't wait for the other episodes.

The end credits reveal Sega/Tyson Heese and company collaborated with Neko Production on the animation/artwork. They did an excellent job. I hope Sega approaches them again in the future to provide artwork/animations for a proper Sonic game...a Mania sequel with HD sprites and backgrounds, perhaps? ;)

15. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Excellent. Can't wait for more.

16. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    That cut is so deep that I haven't even seen it before. What is this from?

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's from this weird video that was in Sonic Jam called Sonic Ride. No idea what it was originally intended for, but either way to my knowledge I think that's it's only appearance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt4Lg2E-cyE

And Tyson confirmed on Twitter that it was in fact an intentional nod to that weight contraption. That's some good easter egg right there.

Also, side note, but this is the closest we'll ever get to a continuation of the Sonic: Man of the Year short

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LecH7KTDGAo

18. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    "What's that flicker at 1:51..."

[​IMG]

SOILED

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh my god, I just couldn't stop laughing through the episode. Everything about it was so well executed, the art direction, the music and sound effects, the amazing animation, the jokes and timing, the characterization...

To all involved: In my humble opinion, this is by far the best animated attempt at capturing what made me a fan of Sonic back in 1991. Congratulations on this amazing episode and can't wait to see the following ones.

P.S.: Maaaaaybe one isolated "Robotnik laugh" wouldn't have felt out of place when he made his appearance, but it's still great as-is.

20. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    While an added Robotnik laugh wouldn't be out of place, the real question is: Do they used the laugh from Sonic 3d blast or Mike Pollock's?