don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    Wasn't post-reboot Blaze the same as the pre-reboot Blaze? That would have been interesting to see if she noticed how different Sonic's world was.

2. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Found out about this from a certain Sonic site.
    Archie wins Fulop lawsuit case.

Even though the Archie Sonic comics are over with, it is nice to see them win this one.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Guess his lawyers aren't as good as the ones Penders hired =P

4. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    No, last time Archie hired a talking monkey to represent them...So did Penders but that isn't surprising. Don't believe me? Here's a court transcript.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/05/09/archie-desperate-to-settle-but-cant-without-sega-the-latest-in-the-ken-penders-sonic-comics-case/

5. CSketch

CSketch

The sketchiest guy you've ever seen Member
    Man, I don't wanna sound negative but I feel like with the loss of the Archie comics we're gonna lose a lot that the IDW comic (which apparently will reveal its first info next month but I'm not 100% sure on that) will probably not have. I mean think about it, after the Super Genesis Wave, SEGA was a lot more restrictive about what could be in the comic, the writing team apparently had to fight to keep the Freedom Fighters in, so it's a good bet that the IDW comic will just be even more restrictive.

The Archie comics just had this strange charm, even post-Super Genesis Wave (which don't get me wrong, I love the stories after the reboot a lot), of taking things from other Sonic media outside of the games, such as Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and SatAM and...connecting it and linking it with elements from the games, thus giving the feeling that there's a continuity here, that this is a big world and Sonic's adventures aren't the only ones that are going on (Universe also helped establish this). It feels like what the Sonic games could be if their continuity and timeline wasn't up the ass like the ARK in Final Hazard.

But still, even if IDW comics lack that charm and are more restrictive writing-wise, I still hope they can achieve a similar effect to the Archie comics, and hey, even though I love Ian Flynn's writing and would want him to write for the new comic, maybe some new blood could lead to some interesting results when it comes to writing? I'd just like for the writers to actually be fans of the series or at least have a good knowledge of what the games, like Ian, but I don't know if that's too much to ask for.

Honestly, despite the tone of this comment, I'm still optismistic regarding the IDW comics, even though it has one hell of a legacy to follow up to, I just want it to be good as a comic, dammit.

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I haven't actually read the comics, but I've only really heard good things about IDW's TMNT and Transformers comics. And if anything it sounds like those comics at least are anything but restrictive. I mean...

[​IMG]

I can pretty easily imagine them branching out and not just doing what the games do, whether it's by bringing in stuff from TV shows or by doing its own thing.

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I don't have much hope in it if they don't bring back some of the creative team from Archie, not just Tyson Hesse. Archie's Sonic team knew how to draw Sonic in a creative but fun way and they knew how to work a Sonic comic especially Ian Flynn.

And god damn does Flynn need a win right now, what with his kickstarter horribly crashed and burned.

8. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    It's sounding like, based on the last episode of his BumbleKast with his hesitance to discuss the possibility of Lost Hedgehog Tales Vol. 2 that there's a pretty good possibility he's been brought aboard for Sonic IDW. It's a no-brainer since he already works on their TMNT.

Yeah, with AcademX down and out I hope this is the case. We need him attached to the series so he'll still have the opportunity to be the sole writer of the games in the future instead of just one of them with Forces.

9. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    While I think Archie Sonic staff should be brought back: acting like there wouldn't be much hope if they aren't coming back is pretty ridiculous. Ian Flynn, Tyson Hesse, Tracy Yardley etc. aren't the only ones who'd know how to properly handle a Sonic comic. IDW has a very good track record with licensed comics like this and it's very likely that they'll get incredibly talented people on this, Ian or not.

10. CSketch

CSketch

The sketchiest guy you've ever seen Member
    ...hOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS!? Welp, time to catch up on IDW TMNT. Nah but seriously, this has me intrigued, Ian Flynn is an amazing writer and, like, an actual FAN of the series, so seeing him write more Sonic would make me happy! ...Hoooweeeeveeer....

Hey man, there's nothing wrong with bringing in some fresh blood into the comic, who knows? We may get a second Ian Flynn or something, we have to keep and open mind when it comes to things like that, and IDW seems to really respect its licensed comics, so we may get something good. I mean, I'm sure many people were cautious when Ian Flynn first started writing in Archie Sonic, so maybe in the offchance that Ian actually WON'T write for the comic, we should be optimistic.

----

In other news, if we do end up getting IDW Comic news next month, will there be a new thread to discuss that? Well, I'm assuming yes, but I'd still like to know for sure.

11. The mods have already said once the solicits for the IDW Sonic comics go out, a new thread will be made.

12. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    And this one will be locked or what?

13. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.

While I get what both of you are saying, I still feel some if not all the old guard needs to be there just for standards. its fine to bring new people in as Archie did that almost all the time with colorist, pencilers and whatnot but having a regular set/pool of people who knows how a sonic comic works and can guide new souls was what made the comic post #160 consistently good in art quality and storytelling and sometimes great.

But the writer needs to be mainly Ian Flynn, I'm sorry but Penders ruined it for everyone and I seriously don't trust much else besides Flynn and sometimes Yardley.

14. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    IDW also publishes X-Files comics... maybe we'll finally see a proper crossover between that franchise and Sonic. :v:

15. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    The Image crossover wasn't enough for you? :v:

16. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Not really seeing how it wasn't Mulder and Scully in the story; it was Scolder and Mully. :v: And they never interacted with Sonic either, so... =P

17. Volphied

Volphied

「限界の向こうは無限大」 Member
    I hope it won't be locked. I mean, sure, there won't be new Archie Sonic comics, but that doesn't mean the old issues will be memory-holed. There should be a place to talk about them.

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I don't see a point in the topic being LOCKED, but yes, IDW chat will go into a new IDW topic once the first solicits are out.

19. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
  20. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

IDW is having a panel at NYCC about their Sonic comic. I'm going to NYCC and will most likely try and get to that panel. Anyone else going to NYCC and going to that panel?