don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Whimsicott

Whimsicott

'Omlette' would be a cute idea for a sequel, even if for just one game. She'd probably a Nina Cortex type of character, bit more vehicle based like her uncle.

But yeah, I too originally saw just an upside down Robotnik, but It's cool to see how it led to such a cool design!

2. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Someone on Twitter hit me up saying hed figured out how to force it into 4:3. Let me ask him how and get back to you.

3. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    I am absolutely dying waiting for an official soundtrack release. I will buy it five times. Okay, not really, but you have no idea how much I want a CD release, or at least a high quality digital release. I want it more than I wanted the game itself, and that's saying a lot.

4. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Small update to this post - apparently a Steam client beta is about to roll out that should fix the stuff I wrote about needing to restart steam and plug in and unplug the controller to get it recognized. To make sure you get the steam client beta update, go to steam -> settings -> Account, then under "beta participation" click "change" and enter the steam client beta. Just a heads up -- these updates are BETAS, and, as always, may induce other unexpected bugs.

But a general heads up about that the beta should roll out very shortly, in case you're still having trouble getting these controllers working.

EDIT: Also, they picked up a retro-USB genesis controller and a Saturn pad as well for their testings to make sure this all works a bit better.

5. Deef

Deef

Just because I haven't said it yet (and will say it again) and a dev is around:

Awesome work CW et al. We actually chatted a little on MSN back in Retro days... I'm jelly of how far you've gone.

Mania is excellent, it's just hard to believe a new classic actually happened, and with so much love behind it. I was saying to a friend that this is probably the only time in all my gaming I'll play a new game where I know the devs are looking after me so much.

These special stages are easily my favorite of all the classics. They're just plain fun. I want morrrrre.

6. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    I've been thinking about the problems that the Switch's OS has with Sonic Mania, and I'm wondering, you don't suppose Sega used Denuvo on the Switch version, do you?

7. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Denuvo doesn't exist on consoles.

8. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

Eggetha or Omelette would not be a character I'd be opposed to showing up in a future Sonic game at all. It'd be a nice expansion of Eggman and give Classic Sonic an addition to his rogues gallery that can come back time and time again.

9. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Thank goodness.

Sill have to wonder what causes the game to be so resource needy though.

10. Finished the game two days ago. I'm on my 2nd run right now and I would like to post my impressions. I don't want to repeat the positives ad nauseum, so I will just go straight into the nitpicks, okay? If I don't mention something, consider it's great, awesome or otherwise inoffensive.

My Mania nitpicks:

• Level Design overall has a Chemical Plant Syndrome - What I mean by it is that CPZ, aside from the infamous rising water part, is very well known to be very fast stage with multitude of hills and slopes that can make you go ridiculously fast, especially when used with springs and boosters. This design by itself is not bad, but the thing is, that I believe that the constant pushing for speed with slopes, chicanes and springs makes many levels blend in and making less varied gameplay. There is rarely any level that I would consider I major slow down time with platforming focused challenges. This also hurts exploration a bit. It sometimes feels like forcing yourself up the river's stream. You want to find secrets, but the push for going past all of it is making search for big rings quite annoying.
    • Too many crush opportunities - People already mention how on CPZ you can get crushed running straight into rising water part after restarting from checkpoint. There are too many insta-death crushing opportunities in the level design overall. On my first playthrough it was a reason of ~70% of my deaths.
    • Remixed zones do not hold the candle to the new ones - New zones are absolute highlights of the game and near objectively best levels in the game. They are extremely refreshing and most importantly new. In comparison, even the new design and gimmicks for the remixed stages aren't enough to keep them fresh, especially when those new gimmicks are mostly things we already familiar with (parts of Quartz Quadrant, Sandopolis, Marble Garden, Wacky Workbench and more). Metallic Madness is the best remixed level, when Lava Reef is the worst with least amount of changes and being overall less fun to play in comparison to the original.
    • Where are more Bonus Stages? - Special Stages are amazing. Nice seeing Blue Spheres back, but they become annoying very fast. Missing those slots and other bonus attractions
    • Bonus features tied to the No Save Mode - Absolutely unreasonable. I see no reason why I cannot use insta-shield on the saved file. Makes the bonus only applicable for slim group of people that don't mind playing without save states.
    • No Continues and painful Game Over - Kinda archaic design choice. Yes, Mania is quite easy in comparison to the older games, but booting back to the main menu on the Act 2 boss, forcing Act 1 again? It's not so graceful.
    • Missing zone transitions?

Those are nitpicks of varied annoyance and distraction value. I still consider Mania an excellent title with gameplay and controls up to the highest standards of the series and a great footholding for the fully original 2D subseries. Unfortunately to the reasons above, I'm very reluctant to value Mania above Sonic 3&Knuckles as the ultimate 2D Sonic game. Mania simply doesn't have enough new material to feel as fresh as playing 3K for the first time. No nostalgia googles for me, since I played 3K after Generations came out. 3K is a seamless adventure, where Mania is honest, lovable nostalgia pandering with extreme care and effort put into it, which requires accolades and respect. So, not devaluing Mania's good deeds, I will say that I'm still waiting for the true 3K successor. I really hoping that Christian will get another go to possibly fill that niche that is right now rightfully taken by Freedom Planet in my eyes.

11. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Sonic mania has continues

12. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    This may be a side product of it being ported to a new console infrastructure, by an outside company, to be released at the same time as the other console versions with only a few months to get it up to par. They may have not even ported the most recent version just the one that was finished enough so they could release everything in time.

As long as it worked and wasn't /too/ buggy I feel like they thought anything else could be fixed in the future. Which it can.

13. Then those are quite elusive. The internet seems to not agreeing on how to get those: 10,000 points in SS seems to be a common point, but some mention No Save Mode. Also, I got the requirement several times and didn't got any indication of the Continue received. If those are tied to the No Save Mode, then it's like they aren't even there, for most people.

14. Mana

Mana

Have you attempted to game over in No Save mode after meeting the criteria to see if they work? I could try later if you haven't.

15. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

Could you elaborate? I don't recall very many instances where I could easily get crushed outside of Lava Reef 2 and Metallic Madness 1.
    I'd put this game above Sonic 1 and S3&K in difficulty. I remember Sonic 2 having a lot of annoying enemy and obstacle placement, but I'm not sure how much of that was just me playing poorly, and Sonic CD was made by people who hate fun.

16. Mana

Mana

I got to 17000 points in the No Game mode during a special stage and earned a continue. This did not occur when I did this in saved mode. I game overed on purpose and it brought me to a continue screen after.

So yeah it's only in no save mode

17. Of course. Metallic Madness and Lava Reef are major offenders, but there is also that mentioned Chemical Plant part that is clearly evil, Titanic Monarch ascending/descending roads, that strangely singular orange block in Flying Battery that attracts with the possibility of hidden path, which in reality is a death trap, Oil Ocean green corks... Some of those really depend on your luck, but there are far too many moving platforms and presses in the game that invite those OHKO deaths. Ironically, I didn't die once on those crush traps that are actually designed as a crush traps - Presses in Press Garden and MM miniboss.

18. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    I preferred this if we're being honest. Blocky platforming in Sonic isn't fun, even if it is in doses. It's slow and bland since Sonic doesn't have much in the way of movement options, and there can't be much challenge to it because the controls aren't precise enough to allow for it. That's why they have the level gimmicks in place of that. They're what sets each level apart. If the distinction is between how fast each stage is, that's not so much diversity as it is inconsistency. Mania's the most consistent game out of the classics imo. No stage feels too off, and every level is just as fun as the last. The gimmicks are flippin' amazing and make each level stand out, while still being fun and creative. And I don't get what you're talking about with exploration. I'm still finding stuff I didn't know about and I've played the game for more than two weeks.

I don't get why this bugged so many people. They're extras. Not having them in the main game isn't too unreasonable, specially since you can activate cheats while you have them on. Considering stuff like that required a code you probably didn't know before hand, I'd say it's more than reasonable.

19. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    Been playing Sonic Mania for 4 days now. (PC ver)

My thoughts -

1. holy crap, I love how the levels are mixed together.
    2. Chemical Plant zone act 2, I friggin love the bounchy gel things, it is such a pleasure to bounch on the green ones. more of such plz!
    3. Mean bean machine was unexpected. I love these games so I enjoyed the boss.
    4. Press garden act 2 is soooo beautiful :O. The background is just so lovely. One of my fav levels there
    5. lava reef background on act 2 is also damn beautiful, especially the starry sky.
    6. I love how Flying battery is mixed together with Sky Fortress, and Stardust Speedway with Marble garden, Oil Ocean with Sandopolis act 2, Chemical plant with that one Sonic CD level with the bounchy gel things.
    7. Current fav part what gives me visual pleasure is that one place in Flying battery, where you run down the edges of it and you run on the black ball thing, what moves in half ring way (Sorry, I have no idea how to explain it) and you run super quickly down the edges and like this 3 times!
    8. Similar moment is in Press garden act 1, where you run down and then upside down. I love such super speedy parts.
    9. Super Tails! Oh how much I missed you! Shame no flickies but i understand why they aren't there. Maybe if there is a sequel, super emeralds come back and they all are hyper again but I doubt.
    10. The levels are HUGE o__O. I remember how I found allll the secrets in Sonic 3 and knux and knew exactly where to go. This one will take a long time to go through lol.
    11. Spinning sprites. I probably am the only one here who enjoys all the rotating sprites and those are one of my favs when you stand on the spinning thing and Tails does a 360 rotation, or in the air, or bouching off the spring. I always love to find out new sprites. (Is there a sprite thing in the game too like in Sonic 3 and knux where you could see all the sprites?)
    12. Playing as super Sonic or others as super brough back so much memories of messing around in the game and trying to get glitches haha. I don't mind if games have glitches (Well only if they don't break a game) but to me, glitches are fun part of a Sonic game imo and have got good laughs with them (Remembering one in carnival night zone where tails was spinning on a barrel and he got stuck in the air)
    13. These special stages with the ufo were super fun. Even if I died a lot, i love how you got skill while playing these and then got better at it and found ways to do it faster.
    14. And knuckles mode. I remember when I was a kid, I was always wondering why you couldn't get Knuckles behind you, but only Tails. Now I can :D.

Only odd bug I found was with Tails on Flying battery zone act 1. When I ran and the purple tube thing came, Tails didn't rotate inside it and just fell down. Sonic and Knux did run along the tube.

Definetely this years fav game for me!

Question about the Blue Sphere mode though, as so far I havent found any info.
    Are the blue sphere mode (The one you unlock) limited, or are there millions of them? Fist I didn't care of these as I thought it was just to replay the starpost ones but I didn't know they were all different, especially with the green and purple one wow.

Now I'm off to explore the levels with Tails :D.