don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    Kinda interested in seeing how the birds look. Hopefully they aren't just Jet/Wave with nu clothes.

2. Im just saying that seeing as nearly all of Sonic's villains turn into friendly rivals by the end, you might as well include Knuckles and Silver. I mean, if Silver is going to be in it you might as well kick him hard in back of the head. Its what he deserves.

Plus can kinda imagine a non running Silver fight and a Babylon Rogues fight being a bit fun and different from the Generations fights.

also on the OC thing. I made an echidna because dreads are cool and stuff. But CANT USE THAT.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well, knuckles and Silver eventually became friendly towards Sonic. Chaos remained indifferent at best while Shadow has always been kinda an ass. Hell be was in Generations for God knows why.

4. RikohZX

RikohZX

Honestly they chose Sonic's most notable villains, and when I think villain, I don't think of Knuckles or Silver.
    Well I also don't think Zavok either but he got grandfathered in by Lost World being the previous game unfortunately.

5. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    If it wasn't for Silver also being on the "good" side, I'd say it was a revival of all post-classic villains. However, since this wasn't their goal, having Knuckles as a bad guy again would have made so much more sense. The n00bs wouldn't know why, unless they went back and played Sonic 3. Since there was no re-release or remaster of Sonic 3, they made Knuckles continue to be good.

/end conspiracy theory

I'm scared that I'm falling in love with Infinite's theme. I still believe that Infinite is the other side of the broken 4th wall (the first being the OC) and is a representation of the Sonic community/fan base. He's throwing pixels around like he's hacking the world around him. Get it? He's the result and its up to our original character to make things right again.

/end other conspiracy theory

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I really can't look past the issues with the villains in this game. At first we thought Eggman had finally conquered the world by uniting the "forces of evil" or something to that effect. But it now looks like it's more down to Mephiles Mk.II, and Eggman's role has already been overshadowed. Then we've got the four other bad guys, of which only Metal Sonic really belongs (and dear God I hope that they fix his 'voice').

Chaos is a guardian or God of sorts who was mistreated and by all accounts should probably no longer exist; we spent a four-game arc between SA2 and '06 exploring why Shadow is actually a good guy when it actually counts especially where Rouge and Omega aye involved, even if he's a bit of an anti-hero; Zavok is at least a bad guy, but he's missing his underlings and is supposed to be a leader and not a pawn; and finally Metal Sonic who... okay it's nice to see him in a proper villain role again. What's Eggman's role supposed to be here? Ring leader who gets usurped by Infinite seems pretty likely.

There's also the fact that I am supposed to be in this story with the custom hero rubbish. For a character-based series like Sonic, that's just so wrong on a number of levels. I stand by my opinion that the custom hero should be limited to a mission mode of sorts that sees average Joes rising up as the resistance without being directly involved in the story. Or, if they are to be in the story at all, it should be treated as some kind of multiplayer spin-off with as few of the existing cast members appearing as possible, set in a distant future or parallel universe. The way that Forces is doing it's story with Sonic, nostalgia pandering Sonic and You really can't end well. It's a disaster. Lol, I can't believe how much I actually hate this game.

7. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    "Chaos was misguided" ......but unlike Shadow he actually did manage to kill thousands of people and wreck an entire city, and also wiped out the entire echidna precursor civilization prior to that too. Shadow got virtually nowhere by comparison!

8. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    What? The exact opposite is implied in Adventure. Chaos for all we know just caused major property damage. You can even hear people cheer Sonic on during the fight with him. And the echidna tribe was wiped out because they intended to start a war. Chaos wasnt doing anything wrong, he was just doing his job. Shadow, on the other hand, was built as a weapon from the start, and came extremely close to destroying the planet were it not for his half assed 180.

9. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

I think when you become a giant water dragon, flood a city along with wrecking the buildings, people are gonna die. That's just kind of how it works.

10. "Alls well that ends well, eh Sonic?"

11. With Forces, why do Modern Sonic fans criticize Classic Sonic and traditional classic elements in the game as "nostalgia pandering" but not the adventure era stuff, which is nearly as old and equally dated? The crush 40 style buttrock, and early 2000s edgy shonen drama stuff is all reminiscent of what was popular over 15 years ago.
    Why is that not nostalgia pandering but classic is?

Just curious here. I also don't care for classic sonic''s inclusion in Forces primarily because of Mania but I don't find him offensive here either, especially when the rest of the game panders equally to the early modern era as well. Sonic Team was clearly trying to appeal to the entire fanbase with this game, regardless of how bad an idea that is.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It's nostalgia pandering because it's all surface level appeal without actually remembering what made any of the elements good in the first place. Why 2D, Green Hill and Classic Sonic? Because they're from the old days and therefore must be good. There's none of the finesse of the Classics here, unlike Mania. The supposedly classic elements are being showhorned into a game where they clearly don't belong.

I wouldn't call the rest of the game nostalgia pandering because there's a lot less nostalgia to bank on. Any sort of darker Sonic game is always a real gamble. And for the record, it's probably a good idea to recognise that it's not just exclusively "modern fans" that are writing off the Classic elements of this game as nostalgia pandering. I'm a fan of most things Sonic, particularly the Classic era, and that's giving me a lot of grounds to write off Forces as the kind of crap that I don't want from the series. I'd be much happier with this game if it wasn't suffering from a massive identity crisis.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Because the classic era is pure. The adventure games were ok at best and started a lot of these awful trends, so go milk those. Leave good Sonic alone

14. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Honestly Classic Sonic is the only pandering I want. I just want them to get it right.

15. Darth Taco

Darth Taco

Late but I always imagined Chaos and Tikal reversed time with the master emerald to fix the city :v:

16. Nova

Nova

I do agree that the edgier tone is somewhat pandering to the Adventure crowd, but it's not quite as blatant as putting Classic Sonic and Green Hill in for older fans. I'm not really mad about it or anything but it just feels like a missed opportunity when Classic needed so much improvement from Generations' version - improvement which it doesn't look like it's received.

Still, I'm already sold on having new Modern-style stages to play. They can pander to me with that all they like. :v:

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

After three boost games that barely offer anything different between within our between them, I can say that I'm not looking forward to the modern gameplay in Forces either. If they played more like Rush, then I'd be interested. But the don't, so I'm not. The Modern Sonic gameplay style is just so formulaic and automated at the worst of times and as generic as platforming can possibly be at the best. While I was certainly very fond of it to begin, the fact that it's been going on for almost ten years with minimal changes and improvements has really made it outstay it's welcome.

18. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Whilst I don't particularly like the Boost I would prefer it to be the only gameplay style in Forces with no 2d gameplay, only 3d. I also don't want classic Sonic gameplay because it doesn't play/control like Sonic 1,2,3 & Mania.

Seems crazy the Boost (since Unleashed) has been around for nearly a decade and we still haven't had a game with only boost gameplay. If it wasn't for Mania then the boost formula would be the longest returning gameplay style in the franchises history. Not bad considering how divisive it is. I just find it bland-so fucking boring.

The only thing that really interests me about Forces (besides the story and the hit-and-miss soundtrack) is the OC gameplay, which takes some designs from Colors (a game I like). It's a shame this also appears to control like rubbish.

We're talking about a Sonic game where the only gameplay style which interests me is "not Sonic". Which I find utterly ridiculous.

19. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I like the boost gameplay, especially when it's backed by as strong and varied level design as it was in Generations... honestly, JUST AS MUCH as the more momentum-based, slower-paced Genesis style. I mean, it's no accident that I put almost 300 hours into Generations, y'know? Forces could pander to the '06 crowd and bring back Elise for all I care, I'm sold just by having more boost stages.

20. Nova

Nova

I unapologetically love Modern Sonic boost gameplay. I find it really does, in many ways bring back 'earning' your speed. As you learn the levels and find the fastest route, you maintain the most boost and can just react faster. It's fun for repeated plays and I really wanted more, so I guess I'm just happy for that. I appreciate it's not everyone's cup of tea, though.