don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Agreed. I think the zone choice for Sonic 3 is definitely Ice Cap, given Taxman and Stealth are super fans and know that fans want it and thus would have pushed for its inclusion. There's a chance Hydrocity might be there instead but I think the odds are pretty strong for Ice Cap. Also agree that it's probably being held back. I'm also going to go on a black-out about a week before release too. This game is going to be pulled apart around release and leaks are certain and inevitable for around August 15 so I might stay off here in the run up to release to keep as much of the game as a surprise as possible. They've already revealed a little too much already in my opinion - so the more surprises the better.

Just under a month to go. So excited for this. August 15 can't come soon enough.

2. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    I'd love it if they reveal Ice Cap. Even if the music has to be completely new I don't mind. Wonder how creative Team Mania could get with an ice/snow themed stage?

I'm going on a black-out on release day (because I'm working). I've then got a week off work to play Mania!

3. CollectiveWater

CollectiveWater

Just a speculative, humble heads-up: if y'all don't want anything further revealed/spoiled for you, I think the safe bet would be to go on media blackout as of *right now*.

They've revealed 1 returning zone for each of the classic 2D games, except for standalone "Sonic 3." In terms of when returning zones were revealed, the order has been Green Hill-->Flying Battery-->Stardust Speedway-->Chemical Plant. (Meaning they seemingly purposefully skipped over "3" when revealing returning stages.) And in the upload of Studiopolis Act 1 music on the official Youtube page four days ago, they made a point of saying "We know this one's been public for a while, but please look forward to what's coming up!" Then there's the 1 hour "Mania" panel at Comic-Con this Saturday. That panel sounds more behind-the-scenes on how the project got started/development went, but they do say they will "share new insights about the game."

So, purely speculation on my part, but I think odds are high that a returning "Sonic 3" zone (and accompanying music) either gets revealed this Saturday, or sometime before launch day. Would make sense to save that as the last big reveal before the game's out, and to have a new video close to release to drum up excitement. But yeah, if you don't want to know anything else about "Mania" before actually playing it, I really think it'd be wise to go on blackout now.

Personally, I'm on board with seeing more before release. Looking forward to learning any info from the Comic-Con panel Saturday night!

Edit: Should also have pointed out that the teasing about upcoming info could very well just be new music for an already revealed zone (Studiopolis, Mirage Saloon, Flying Battery, or Stardust Speedway). That would fit in more with the tease from the official Sonic Youtube channel, since they're clearly indicating more music will be uploaded periodically until release. That said, I still would not be surprised if another zone (or at least act) is shown prior to release. We'll find out soon enough!

4. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Interesting post! Yeah I think you're on the money here. A Sonic 3 zone reveal, or at least one more zone reveal prior to release to generate hype sounds like a probable thing they'd do. Kick the marketing in to high gear given we're mere weeks away from release. Ice Cap Zone here we come I guess.

It'd be interesting to see what they announce at the panel. Will definitely be keeping an eye out for it.

5. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    Hydrocity makes a more logical choice in my opinion as we've yet to see a water zone and all the issues with Ice Cap's music. Not saying that I wouldn't like Ice Cap, heck, a mash up between the two would be ideal since Ice Cap is somewhat plain as a level once you take the music out.

6. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Yeah, Hydocity act 2 could always be frozen over, and maybe include some musical cues from Ice Cap in the song remix.

7. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    While I think that if we don't get Hydrocity in, Stardust Speedway act 2 may act as a substitute as the background has temples next to a water pool and the level is fast paced.

8. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

Well we have yet to see an ice level either so Ice Cap's chances are still pretty strong. Of course, if we're getting two zones per game in Mania this is probably a moot point, we're getting both Hydrocity and Ice Cap in that event.

9. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Ooooh I love that idea!

10. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Love your optimism! I hope so too. Though I think both zones might be a bit of a stretch - it really depends on when Taxman said "big game" just how big. Like, we don't have confirmation it's two zones per classic Sonic game yet do we? Unless I missed something? I think Taxman/Stealth and Sonic Team would be aware of Ice Cap's popularity and the cries for its inclusion in Generations, even as DLC that never came so I'd say Ice Cap is very probable. I'd absolutely love it if we get both, as they're two of my favourite zones from Sonic 3.

Also I'm half expecting a Sonic 3K remastered announcement at some point. Taxman posted that image of blue spheres if you remember and when everyone asked if it was Sonic Mania on the screen, he teased that it was another game, so either Blue Spheres Overload: The Orbs Return or Sonic 3K remastered.

Everyone kind of glossed over his post at the time, but I'd say it was quite an obvious tease. Would love it we get a remaster of Sonic 3K too.

11. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    I really want to believe this, but Stealth said I while back in a post in his blog that making Sonic 3K from the ground up would require a LOT of work. I don't think it's possible to develop both Sonic Mania and Sonic 3K Remastered at the same time, even if they share assets and engine.

But I have a little piece inside of me that hopes for a Sonic Mania with Sonic 3K bundled as DLC.

12. I feel like if they were to reveal any other zone this saturday, it would most definitely be from Sonic 3. If there are any zones from Chaotix, Game Gear titles, or 3D Blast, I imagine the team would prefer those to remain as surprises for everyone. Same could probably be said about the other new zones, considering they probably keep with the trend of pulling from disparate classic zones. Sonic 3 is the most beloved, and the only game we haven't seen represented yet in its solo form, so all my bets are on that being the final reveal over anything else.

I'll be keeping my ears open for that Ice Cap theme.

13. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Oh shiiiiit its good

15. Yuzu

Yuzu

oh man

this is amazing

16. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I concur with everyone above and the people below too.

17. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

hey DigitalDuck is gonna gift us all Mania on Steam when it comes out

what a nice guy

18. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Some Stardust Speedway Bad Future, some E-101 Beta mk II. God dayum.

19. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Nominating DigitalDuck for man of the year.

20. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Believe it dude! Taxman specifically said something akin to "Who says that's Sonic Mania running on the second screen. NO WAY? NO WAY! NO WAY?" or something to that effect. It was an obvious tease for Sonic 3K remastered. It might not come out near Sonic Mania's release, but I think it was an intentional tease, short of making an announcement. I don't expect it near Mania's release, but maybe in time for Christmas? Or next Spring? I'd say it's possible. Also yeah, it probably is a lot of work. It's the largest classic Sonic game of all-time. But Taxman/Stealth managed to produce the best versions of every other classic Sonic game, and released them in a timely fashion.

It's not definite nor confirmed, but it was heavily implied that Sonic 3K remastered is coming.

This is beautiful and amazing as expected. Echoing that nineties-era Sonic aesthetic perfectly. Tee Lopes remains a music god.