don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    And in Sonic CD rerelease they included a remix of the Present US version also featuring Cash Cash and Jun Senoue. Sounds quite good!

They had to choose one for Sonic 4. They went with the JP BF track because it IS the most known theme.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

wut

Really? You're trying to impose one soundtrack as "canon" over another? Each is as valid as the other. S4E2 used both, Generations used the Japanese with the US as an alternative, SCD'11 used both, Sonic Boom was remixed as part of the 20th Anniversary celebrations too. If you really want to go into it, Chronicles also used both and the Stardust Speedway remix in S4E2 is actually the Generations version as opposed to the original. CD is distinctly recognised as having two full soundtracks.

3. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Every act 3 in CD is in the future version of the stage, meaning that enough time passes between acts 2 and 3 for that to happen. Considering this, I think the past versions are when Robotnik has just arrived.

Also, the past stages already have badnik factories in them, so they couldn't be before Robotnik arrived.

4. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Yes, and I'm not apologizing for it. The US version has to be selected separately each time whereas the other plays by default. But yes, the Bad Future is a 16-bit remix of the improved version in Generations.

But basically my argument that SS Past exists not because of the music. I also honestly believe time travel will be happening for Acts 1 and 2. I trust that they wouldn't half ass this gimmick by giving us Past for Act 1 and Present/Future for Act 2.

5. Chaud

Chaud

That's true, but what? I don't get your point. Like, the fact that one is the default means that it's the "correct"? :psyduck:

6. Pengi

Pengi

It will likely get some of the best digital sales Sega's seen. Without a physical release though it might not get as many impulse buys, parents buying for kids etc.

Metal Sonic was destroyed and revived in the Little Planet's future. He could still be alive in Little Planet's past/present. From Sonic's perspective it would be their second battle/race, but from Metal Sonic's perspective it would be their first. As long as Metal Sonic is merely defeated and not destroyed then the continuity would still be intact.

(Technically they could have another battle in the future as well. Maybe Sonic arrives an hour before their Sonic CD fight.)

The implication is that Sonic time travelled between Zone 2 and Zone 3. (Or if you finished Zone 2 in the future, he didn't.)

Eggman has been travelling through time too. There's clearly centuries between the Past, Present and Future.

7. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Thought I do a gif for Sonic's Stardust Speedway footage:

[​IMG]

This loop-de-loop is new.

Here's one for Knuckles:

[​IMG]

The red plant-eating badnik thing in Knuckles footage is in a different location compared to Sonic's footage, so there must be several scattered throughout the stage. You can see Knux can stand on little leaf platforms which will make maneuvering around the badnik interesting.

I've compared this to Sonic CD's footage (from one of my video's below) and I'm pretty sure it's act1. Although, it's hard to tell. If you look closely you can see the background in the new version looks more detailed.

The addition of the new-yellow color in the foreground looks interesting. Seems to mix well with the green color.

Stardust Speedway was already a complex zone in Sonic CD with so many different routes, so it's gonna be fascinating to see what else they come up with.

Can't wait to see what the cathedral looks like in act2 of Mania's version!

8. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    The love pouring out of that trailer is mind blowing, actually brought tears of joy to my eyes. I've obviously been head deep in Japanese for a while since the trailer's music sounds like "Chotto matte! Chotto matte! Matte So-Ni-Kku!!!" to me, and I love it. :v:

Not far back someone mentioned thinking Chaotix Stages. While nothing has been mentioned, the Blue Ring Monitor does appear in stages so anything could happen I guess, and god knows that Chaotix had some amazing level ideas with horrid level design so Sonic Mania would really be great for them.

9. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    The only thing I don't like about it is that the new loop thing is that the tube sonic descends on doesn't look cylindrical at all. Marble Garden's at least did.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yeah... Unless they add either some volume to make the wall look cilyndrical or a visible path around it, it doesn't seem to make much in-universe sense...

11. synchronizer

synchronizer

I wonder if they remembered to add some layer-swap switches from the original Stardust Speedway.

12. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Remembered? Saxman ported Sonic CD to all platforms in 2011. How would they forget that?

13. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

ship name acquired

Really though I'd be super disappointed if the switches were gone.

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

We saw hardly any of the level. They'll probably be in there. Though I hope they're better than they were in CD. I never did like how they lacked any real visual cues as to which layer was active and which layer was which.

15. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I wonder if Metal Sonic's going to make an appearance in Stardust Speedway or they are going to stick with the Hard Boiled Heavies.

In one way, it would be cool to stick with the Hard Boiled Heavies. On another, it is Metal Sonic, who is just brilliant, sooo :v:

16. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

If I'm right about Mania taking place before CD, then we're probably not getting Metal Sonic.

And tbh Metal Sonic boss fights are kind of stale. I'd much rather see a return of Mecha Sonic or maybe a giant version of the plant enemies we saw.

Actually, now that I think about it, if the boss of SS is the main plant enemy thing, and if Mania takes place before CD, then that would explain why there's no plant monsters in SS past in CD.

17. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Personally, I don't think Mania is sticking to a "timeline". I just think it's a Sonic game with old and new zones. We shouldn't have to look for where it fits in the canon imo.

I'll wager that it'll be Metal Sonic as the boss. I thought the Hardboiled Heavies would be bosses for the new zones.

18. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    The hard boiled heavies are mini bosses for the newer stages, so none of them will probably appear in remixed levels. Metal Sonic returning is a safe bet. If nothing else because he's a fan favorite.

Who's to say they won't make the battle with him more interesting?

19. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

They could do that, but Sonic 4 also did that. Idk, maybe I'm just being pessimistic about it because I want to see Mecha Sonic again.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well Mecha Sonic was in Lego Dimensions, that's... something anyway :v:

Maybe they'll give us a more interesting race course this time instead of just straight line with obstacles? Sonic CD and Sonic 4 Ep 2 fall victim to that so there's definitely room for improvement over the existing formula.