don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    So Does Mirage Saloon count as a new stage, remixed stage, or half and half?

2. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    So based on how Tim asked about Taxman and Lola seemed tired of the question, I think we can establish Taxman is essentially the rock star/sex icon of the Sonic franchise.

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It's most definitely a brand new stage.

Desert Dazzle was a stage based upon Dust Hill, rather than an outright recreation. It would have had some very different art. Mirage Saloon is then based upon Dessert Dazzle, with even more unique features. It's got a bit of a history, but it's thoroughly 100% new.

4. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Woke up today with a sneaking suspicion itd be a good day. After being unexpectedly paid on a project, spending the whole day with my dad, and getting a second sneak peak at sonic mania, I feel vindicated. What a great day.

5. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I enjoy that we got new footage to look at, but I'm really not liking how Knuckle's looks. I'm on mobile right now so I can't bring up a comparison, but his sprites seem to be based off of a mix of Sonic 3 (and a bit of Chaotix), while Sonic's seems based off Sonic 1/2. Like I know it is a small criticism, but it's just something that sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

6. Donnie Paradox

Donnie Paradox

Some Gai Member
    I need this game in my life. Today's footage just helped cement that feeling.

I can't recall the last time I've been this excited for a Sonic game.

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Having now seen all three characters in action, plus the one other stage I expected to be (and looking way better than I could have imagined), I think I'm done with news on this too. Mania is going to be the best Sonic game since S3K. I can say that with total confidence. So with that not-very-well played footage of Mirage Lagoon where you can't hear the music, that's it! No more Mania for me until Spring.

8. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    https://twitter.com/CFWhitehead/status/791384002280108033

Oh shit, don't do this to me Taxman.

9. MissingNoGuy

MissingNoGuy

Sounds totally automated. Member
    I knew Fang, Bean, and Bark having wanted posters was unusual!

If they were bosses, holy shit, that would be something.

10. null1024

null1024

Oh man, this looks great.
    Lost my shit when I saw the Bark, Bean, and Fang posters.
    and that big gun, shit like that's just so cooooool

That being said, Tails' fly animation is really bothering the shit out of me, it looks so weird. He looks so... bent out of shape is probably the best way I can think of to describe it.

11. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    You'd probably get a little bent out of shape too if you were hauling your entire weight through the air just by your tails. I like it myself, has a satisfying sense of gravity to it. Likewise with Knuckles, his gliding animation looks so weighty and satisfying. Great stuff.

12. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Yeah, Mirage Saloon looks amazing. Thankfully no relation to Sonic 4's Mirage Island :v:

When Mania was announced I dreamed of a Desert Dazzle/Dust Hill hybrid stage and for it to actually have become a thing, well, it's brilliant.

I'm so pleased for Taxman that he was finally able to bring elements of Desert Dazzle and make it into a complete zone.

Knuckles & Tails animations look so good. I like that they've gone for a more pink color for Knuckles, perhaps taking inspiration from his Chaotix colors. Also, Knuckles climbing animation looks nice, again more resembles his Chaotix design. I think Knuckles pink color complements Sonic's lighter blue/torqouse color.

Haha, yeah that guy was terrible. Mirage Saloon doesn't look nearly as complicated as he made it look.

I'm gonna keep watching the gameplay & trailers right up to release. I can't help it, I just wanna see more!

One more thing:

MS: Mirage Saloon

MS: Metal Sonic.

Metal to appear in Mirage Saloon........

nah

13. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    This looks so good. I really love that they went all out and made all new sprites for the characters.

And the fan service, it's so brilliant.

I'm just completely sold now and don't want the rest of the game to be spoiled :v:

Team Mania are fucking glorious :specialed:

14. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Bean, Bark, and Fang. Three wanted bad guys. Want 3.
    Half Life 3 Confirmed!

15. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I hope not, because Mecha also starts with an M and seeing Mecha return to the games would make me happy since I think he's better than Metal. :P
    I can't wait for Mania! It's seriously looking better and better! And if Fang, Bark, and Bean are going to show up in Mirage Saloon Zone... Ah that'd be just fucking epic! :D But the guy playing the demo made me cringe a few times... :v:/> Coins?! And for someone who's a classic Sonic fan, I can't believe he didn't know that Tails could fly! Aside from that, I definitely love the new footage. Though honestly I miss Knuckles' balancing animation from S3K... But Tails' new animations look amazing!

16. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    The gun being a gimmick in Mirage Saloon could hint at Fang being in somehow. Perhaps a boss.

It's not out the question, it's happened before.

17. I just want this already. Do we know how soon in 2017? Edit: Spring.

18. So, since there's already a new demo for the press to play. Can we get the older first demo for the public now?

19. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Sega's not going to publicly release demos made for events where staff can help out if shit goes wrong. Demos like that are usually incredibly buggy and not fit for public release.

20. Sapphire

Sapphire

It's like boo! Member
    I am so excited to finally see Desert Dazzle come to full fruition! I had a feeling we might see some elements of it so I'm absolutely thrilled. Really interested to see what other tropes will be focused on as well. I just can't get over how much love, detail, and fan service is being put into this game, I just really REALLY need to play it. Now.