don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    > mentions liking the timing aspect of Amy's gameplay
    > not sure if a move reliant on timing will fit

That's your lookout, bud. But Amy's air Piko Hammer in Sonic Advance at least isn't too far away from the insta-sheild/W-kaiten in functionality. OF COURSE this is all speculation because we should wait for MORE CLUES confirming Amy's inclusion in the game... :P

2. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    It's not confirmed whether Amy will be included as a fourth character yet but it has been heavily implied.

I think it'd be great - building on the series' legacy of introducing a new character with every game. Hope she's included in Mania.

3. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I'm gonna throw out a controversial and VERY unlikely hope, but I think it'd be kinda neat to see Shadow in here with his Megamix moveset. On top of being fun to play, people's reactions to an official classic styled Shadow would make it worth it in my eyes. I imagine I'm alone in feeling this, haha. Amy with her Advance moveset would be fun too though. She's a natural fit, can't argue with that.

Playable characters aside, my biggest fanservice wish for this game is that there'll be a badass new model of Mecha Sonic to fight at some point, even bigger and badder than the one from S3K. That may just be even less likely than playable Shadow though, heh. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

4. Turbohog

Turbohog

How had it been implied that Amy will be in the game? I honestly don't want anybody besides the core 3.

5. Mask

Mask

I'd also love to see Amy incorporated into the classic trio of Sonic, Knuckles and Tails. More specifically, I'd love to see how Sonic Mania would handle her gameplay style and adjust it., and how she'd work in the levels. Sonic Knuckles and Tails seem to have a pretty tight coverage of the ways to explore and move through a stage, thuogh, so it's a tough act to pull off (without making it feel gimmicky).

That conclusion is so loose, you could argue I want her to play like Little Mac. I can't remember the piko hammer spin being close to the insta-shield. You could try to give it movement options. Allow Amy to get a slight boost like a double jump from it, or even just speed up in a held direction (handy if you want to fall faster). Making it so the hammer deflects projectiles could be fun, if not a bit overpowered.

6. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    After all this talk about how the insta-shield works, and here we have an example that's nothing like it. Sonic Advance's rendition of Amy (something I keep bringing up because in many people's eyes it's the definitive 2D Amy) simply swings the Piko Hammer in a vague downward arc in front of her, extending her attack radius. I'm arguing that it wouldn't be a big stretch of the imagination to include W-kaiten's invulnerability in that.

But no, fuck that, movement options and slight boost and double jump and speed up in held directions and deflecting projectiles. I don't even.

7. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Alright, sweet. For those who don't want to watch the whole thing, the announcement is at the 32 minute mark. If Retro needs someone deputised for the Sonic portion of the booth, even though Mania and F&I will likely be the same builds as the 25th event, I'll be there Sunday and Monday.

8. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    YouTube Memes
    I will also be there. Definitely on Saturday, probably on Sunday, and likely on Monday. But not Friday, I don't think- my work already scheduled me in for Friday.

But yeah I'll try out Mania for sure. I hope to see someone from SoA there, like Aaron, but I doubt it.

9. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    There was a teaser post on the Sonic Twitter account - so Ruby up to his antics again. It's in the Social Media Shenanigans thread. Basically there was a teaser image posted of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy rotating in a colour coded image. So it's implied but not outright stated. I'll find the link now for you if you give me a second.

EDIT: Here we go:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/764205164538408960
    https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/765962072492347392

10. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    those aren't teasers

those are just gifs ya dumdum

11. Deef

Deef

Lol. That kind of thing is burn-at-the-stake material. :D

A poll on the Sega forums in Sonic 4's time made the surprising reveal that Amy was indeed the most preferred 4th character (back then). Significantly more desired than Metal even. Not sure why; Amy's character has had possibly the worst character development I've seen in a game. Her role was "girl", and then once they needed to give her an actual personality, "annoying girl". That's Amy.

If they actually retcon'd her personality to *start* again from something like the sweetie presented in Sonic CD (then work from there), I bet the fanbase wouldn't even mind.

12. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Amy is the Chi Chi of Sonic, but if Goku never relented.

Honestly, of all the shit Boom gets, giving her the archeology job and burying her Sonic fangirling is the best thing that ever happened to her character wise. But let's be honest: the games don't really have much character development for anyone. They either stay the same or devolve over time.

13. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I like to live dangerously.

14. IrnBru

IrnBru

Have you guys got some crazy inside scoop or am I not looking hard enough? I thought it was just the Trio from back in the day, where's all this Amy talk coming from :o ?

15. Felik

Felik

Basically this

16. IrnBru

IrnBru

@Felik thanks man, I really didn't even see that, I was looking for something more concrete consider me trolled :specialed: :v:

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Amy is the fourth pillar of the Classic quartet, but that's really not anything new. Nothing has hinted towards her appearance in Mania. I would love to see her, but I'm more than satisfied with the three characters we already have for now.

18. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Yeah, just because Aaron & co have been posting pictures of S, T, K and Amy doesn't necessarily mean or imply she will be playable in Mania. It's not like they haven't posted pictures of Amy before.

I wouldn't mind Amy being playable in Mania, but I'd still be happy with just Sonic, Tails and Knuckles (then perhaps have Amy playable in Mania 2). I could understand why SEGA wouldn't want there to be too many playable characters, but Amy is popular enough so I'd think they'd be okay with her inclusion.

I do feel Amy needs to be able to role and spindash in Mania as well as her piko hammer ability. Rolling is an important part of the design and fluidity of the classic games and without this I don't think Amy's gameplay would fit well. She was good in Advance 1 because they were able to make her abilities work with the games design and yes, I've played the neat Genesis hacks; Amy in Sonic 1 & 2. I just don't think it would be particularly fun to play with her in Mania without the standard role and spindash. Tails and Knuckles can spindash so Amy should be able to as well!

At least then all four characters would have the same standard skill-set with their own unique abilities on top of this.

19. Felik

Felik

The only thing that really is concerning me if whether Tails and Knuckles are gonna have just same paths as Sonic with their signature abilities being of from little to no use or they are actually gonna have significant differences to Sonic experience.

Also I wonder how are they gonna mix old and new zones. Will there be two story modes for new and old zones or will they be somehow mixed into a single experience? I'm looking forward to find out.

20. IrnBru

IrnBru

Branching paths are where it's at, it's always been a favorite feature of mines since I was a kid, My mind was absolutely blown with the lock on technology alone, but I'll always remember the time I played Angel Island Zone expecting to go and fight the Sonic mini boss and breaking through the rocks straight to an area I had never seen. I would hope that each stage would start the same but branch off like that, full on different layouts would be great but there is something about having all the area's on the one map.

The characters could also be a pseudo easy, normal and hard mode, Tails being easy, Sonic being normal and Knuckles being hard mode. (Personally I've always found Knuckles stages more difficult than Sonic's.