don't click here

Sonic Runners announced (Sonic Team/Mobile)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 360, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Nova

Nova

Screw you Gene, I was on the way to work when I noticed this and was going to post on the front page as soon as I got in. :v:

Will be downloading the .apk later. Can't wait!

(I tried a couple of VPN apps but could not seem to get the store page to stop saying "not available in your country")

2. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Pfft, I need to do posts do. :v: Can't have you and Tim having ALL the fun. But, if you want, you can do the Retro Review for the game. You can join the great Retro Illuminati in inflicting brain damage on ourselves for the amusement of all our readers and members.

Poor GW never recovered from Sonic Jump, Sonic Dash, and Sonic Lost World 3DS.

3. Playing through it, and enjoying it all the way. My only problem is that my instincts of "only jump on the caterkiller's head" keep popping up and I keep jumping over a lot of them, which is sometimes costly, only to remember that S1 rules need not apply here.

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xcTH8011hs

Looks decent.

EDIT: Maybe this is only for the test version, but the game has online DRM. Can't play it when the servers are down.

5. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Nope. Standard fare for these games; other SEGA Networks games like Dragon Coins and Chain Chronicle also require server connection, because all data is stored on servers to prevent cheating.

6. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    That still sounds pretty horrendous to me, especially since the game looks actually kinda fun to play.

Speaking of which, the maintenance period that kept the game offline has been lifted so the game can be played again.

7. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Reading the list of compatible devices it looks like my Sony Xperia J isn't supported. Might have to wait until I upgrade to a Z3 to play this. Keep posting impressions everyone. I'm interested to hear whether this game's any good. It's going to totally be downloaded as soon as I have a device that can run it. Next month probably.

8. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    Tested and played it on my Samsung Galaxy SIII. Plays flawlessly but Some graphics won't appear on the main menu (such as Sonic's foot-tapping though his progress in the world) or images on the companion selection screen.

So far I like the game, it's fun but the 3rd phase of the stages are too brutal for me (more pits, spike-balls everywhere, flying drill spam...). My biggest gripe of the game has to be the length of the invulnerability when injured; it only lasts for a couple of miliseconds and if you hit something right after being hit the first time, you'll be sure to die. Last thing you'd want is to get hit while in the air, fall straight down and land in a spike pit; you can't move while in the injured state which results in instant death. It would also be nice if I could use the items when I want to use them instead of them activating automatically.

9. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    Thanks, cannot download from Google Play yet, but I've downloaded this version in my Nexus 7 and I have no problem to run it.

10. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Try playing it anyway. The list seems to be what devices Sonic Team/SEGA have tested the game out on and have confirmed it works on rather than a full compatibility list. For example, the game works fine on my Nexus 5 despite not being listed.

11. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Ah okay cool. Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot and let you guys know how I get on.

12. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    So, Music dump when?

Also, I guess this means Sonic Colors DS is the canon version to that story right?

13. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Invincibility should work like this in every Sonic game.

Run into enemies? Enemies explode.
    Run into spikeballs? Spikeballs explode.
    Run into rows of spikes? Spikes explode.

None of that rubbish "oh you just pass straight through it" crap we have in every other Sonic game, just DESTROY EVERYTHING.

Also, Knuckles is back to being the character with the lowest jump height.

14. Really loving the music. DigitalDuck is spot on with how invincibility should act from now on. One issue that's been coming up lately is when you start the third tier of the level my frames begin to skip every now and then. Is anyone else having this issue?

Holy shit momentum is actually kind of a thing- *bricked*

15. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    Works perfectly on both my Nexus 7 (2013 WiFi on Android 5.0.1) and Moto G 4G (running Android 4.4.4).

The game is fun enough. A good time waster, for sure. The use of current art assets in menus and progression screen is a bit jarring when the actual levels have a unique style to them, but I think this'll pass.

Good effort, Sonic Team.

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    [​IMG]

Well, that's highly disappointing. If I'm not at home, my phone hasn't got data far more often than it has, so this game is essentially unplayable for me.

17. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Just played Runners.

I like it. Definitely on par with Jump/Jump Fever and easily more enjoyable than Dash. I think the music is a lot better than what Dash and Jump has to offer. In terms of the level themes, obviously heavily based on Lost World which is fine with me. It's a simple, addictive mobile game and very easy to play.

The jumping controls seem quite good. It goes without saying the Wisp powers are so much better integrated and easier to use than in Lost World :)

The Eggman boss fights are pretty good. I like the references to the previous games. Seems like Sonic Team have put a decent amount of effort into Runners.

Hope this game comes to Europe. Good stuff.

18. AngelComa

AngelComa

Site Staff
    People here freaking out that it uses a server to save items, so people won't cheat and they get screwed over by people using premium items offline?

I played it, its a nice little fun game but it seems everyone here finds anything to hate about it without even trying it.

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Assuming that was mostly aimed at me, I have a long standing thing about DRM on anything (as most of the regulars know), so this automatically gets blocked. Doesn't matter the reason why it was done.

+ - Let's not turn this into another long discussion on DRM though, we've done enough over the years =P  

20. AngelComa

AngelComa

Site Staff
    That's fine as long as you understand that your like 0.01% of the market. DRM is fine as long as its not intrusive. I don't even call it DRM, more like anti cheating. Why make a free game that all the items will be used offline?