don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    Yeah, I understand the game isn't finished with development yet, and it is going to look better (if the character models are anything to go by), but those screenshots really do look like they could be (admittedly good) Wii graphics.

Between everything Sonic Boom, I'm more excited for the show because that one clip when it was first announced was funny enough (haven't seen anything recent), and it doesn't require any sort of investment. All I'd have to do is record new episodes, watch it, and just stop if I don't like it. Playing the games requires I put money into it. But between the games, I'd be more likely to play the Wii U game because I don't really like Metroidvania games (trying to get into them, I like Cave Story and Mega Man ZX, and some of the DS Castlevanias are future possibilities), and I don't mind 3D beat-em-ups.

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Banner at one of the E3 entrances:
    [​IMG]

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Damn it that means it's this year's Sonic game. I was hoping maybe for a Sonic Colors esq surprise from Sega of Japan.

What the hell are the people who made Generations up to?

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    They already said that Sonic Team is also making another regular game, which will be released next year. Also, did you really expect this not to be the big game for this year? Marketing-wise it would be a mess if they released this Sonic Boom game right next to a new regular Sonic game.

5. Machenstein

Machenstein

Personally, I'm crossing my fingers for a Taxman announcement. C'moooooooooon Sonic 3.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'll take that happily.

Oh and also remember Sonic Colors and Sonic 4? Sonic 4 got all the hype train while Colors was just like "lul here I am" one day, and look which one turned out better.

7. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Gameplay with audio:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXgXF2t1Psc

Well fuck, the dialog is done like Sonic Heroes: Sonic or some character says something every 5-10 seconds. So yeah, it's Sonic Heroes 2.

8. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Welp, imho the Wii U has proven itself to be capable of creating quite astonishing visuals, well for Nintendo games at least. For instance, Nintendo Land is quite gorgeous and has been out for an year and a half already. Or what about Mario Kart 8, recently launched and extremely gorgeous or even Lost World for that matter, which even though has a very simplistic art-style, it is quite pretty on its own. I do think the console is capable of matching those visuals - if not improving -.

The portion in the GDC trailer seems to be of the hub world exclusively, which makes sense on it being the most detailed part of the game since it's expected and intended for the player to explore every nook and cranny of the place. These screenshots you posted seem to be entirely of the "match speed" sections, since it's not expected for the player to stop moving, these parts don't really require much details since they are only there for the sake of having more than an empty skybox on the sides.

My biggest issue with the art direction of the game lies on its lighting, which seems very dull and desaturated, a stepback from what we have with the hedgehog engine. But that seems to be a problem with the CryEngine itself more than the game's art style. I mean, yes, the CE3 is a very powerful and amazing engine, but it seems to be dedicated to more "realistic" type of games which tend to be more desaturated as oposed to stylized games that are usualy more colorful. Not that it's impossible to do so, Unreal Engine 3 (I can't speak much about UE4) faces the same problem and in both cases it just needs some tweaking to its render.

In my opinion what's the biggest dealbreaker about this game's environments is its lighting. I do have minor complains on the lack of details and how jewish they seem to be with extra polygons on the game, but these are minor complains. The lighting is the one that totally shrivels my testicles, making everything look as boring and unappealing as any last-gen game that is trying too hard to be "realistic". I mean just look at this shit. Now compare it to this. Enough said.

I don't know, I don't want to nitpick on something we've seen so little of, but fuck me, it's hard to not be negative about this game when all we see either looks like shit or feels like it will be shitty.

9. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    EDIT: Ninja'd by TimmiT. Trash away!

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ughhhhh Sonic shut the hell up. Why do you open your mouth 3 times as much as anyone else?

*sigh* I think I'm gonna look at this series as a modern day Sonic spinball, Mean Bean Machine, AoSTH, and SatAM and just say screw it. See ya next year Sonic.

11. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Not really a fan of the dull graphic design / musical score, and not generally into this type of game play...but at least the Sonic cast vs. Eggman dialog should be amusing.

I dunno I'm down with a Westernized Sonic and all but I'm really not feeling this one so far.

12. That was one of the things I was afraid of, that a westernized Sonic like this would have a dull, "generic platformer" soundtrack, maybe with a nod or two to the classic series in it.

13. Molotok

Molotok

Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha Member
    The one small difference being that Pac-Man didn't have as much baggage (or "canon") as Sonic does. Even if one considers the Pac-Man animated series from the 1980s, it doesn't compare to the expectations that surround the Sonic franchise. In ways, it's more comparable to redesigns to a comic series, like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

But, yes, in terms of the television series taking precedence over the game based on said series, this is quite accurate and par for the course when it comes to most games based on a licensed property.

14. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Except it's a lot worse about it than Sonic Heroes. The constant ducking on the music makes for a really choppy aural experience, and the jokes are somehow less funny than Sonic Heroes.

That said, the game does look fun. If they give it a "shut the fuck up" option, I'll get it for sure.

15. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ6kOvO1SUE

That said, I'm still quite indifferent towards this game. I want Sonic Boom to succeed because I want to see the West try their hand at Sonic, but at the same time I'm really not caring about it.

16. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    This game is not even released, and it is already giving me a lot of entertainment; a war is bursting out on the Youtube comments section for that video. I find it so interesting how this game is diving the fanbase. There are only two options: Team Love or Team Hate. PICK YOUR SIDE. I normally feel frustrated when reading Youtube comments, so naturally I avoid doing this as much as possible, but in this case, this is being very amusing! I like how Mike Pollock somehow joined the conversation, but he really can't answer when asked if the game is good or not! Hahahahaha!

17. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    At least Amy doesn't sound like a fucknut anymore? I dunno that's all I got on my list of positives.

18. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I like my team: Team Indifferent, but keeping expectations low (as always) so that when it comes out and it sucks, it's just another Sonic game, or if it's good, be pleasantly surprised.

Worked pretty well with Lost World.

But yeah, the comments section of the video is a prime example on why we have a validation forum. Both sides are just plain stupid. :specialed:

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ill join you on team indifferent. That's where I am right now

20. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    This game looks horrible......