don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Vangar

Vangar

I had to turn the video off about half way though, terrible game play and terrible embarrassing dialog. I also noticed the ring count maxed out at 100. Whelp, better luck next year :(

2. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    Indifferent Team member Number 3, reporting for duty.

I don't mind Ratchett and Clank. I don't mind Sonic Heroes. Will I enjoy Sonic Boom? Most probably, but almost certainly not for the same reasons I like most other Sonic games.

3. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I was once in Holland, drunk as a pipe. I noticed the illumination in the streets were glass boxes with fire inside, and decided to slap my hand into them. My friends said "don't do it, it'll burn", but despite it being a bad idea I said "what I am doing is intentional".

I don't know. If they're trying to do something radically different but the response is repeatedly being "that's not right", maybe it didn't work. Maybe it wasn't worth it.

Anyways, put me on team hate. For the crime of generic music and graphical design. Even as a kid I hated that kind of shit.

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Not saying that intentionally making everything different for the sake of different is necessarily a good thing, but that doesn't mean people should keep pointing out how it doesn't fit in with the rest of the series.

Also, speaking of music, apparently SEGA Japan is handling the music for the 3DS game. According to this video anyway:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzLy_Kkp9W0

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Sonic Heroes-style constant speech (albiet better written this time) meets Unleashed Werehog gameplay with largely forgettable incidental music (that screams "taken straight from the TV show", which I guess makes sense). Can't say I'm really that excited about this at all, which is rather sad, really. Hopefully the 3DS one turns out better, that one at least looks more like a traditional Sonic title...

6. NoNameAtAll

NoNameAtAll

MY HAT'S ON FIRE. HALP! Moderator
    I'm number 4. This screams to me, like Castlevania Lords of Shadow as a whole, as trying too hard and destroying everything that made a series great.

I know it's its own branch, but the problem is if it becomes popular, I fear it overtaking Sonic as we know him. I don't hate it, but I'm wary. Otherwise, I just can't bring myself to care.

7. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

This game doesn't look so bad. It looks better than Lost World. Honestly I'd rather have something like this than a basic speed to boost Sonic game that has no depth. But honestly how can you blame the Sonic fans for being so critical of it after so many failed attempts of changing the series. My only thing is if this game turns out to have more fighting sections than speed sections then that is exactly what we complained about in Unleashed.

8. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Joining the Indifferent team, leaning negative I guess. I haven't been this disinterested in the franchise since 2009, when we got Black Knight and Winter Olympics.

9. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Team Negative in position. This looks like a straight tie in game that misses the point and has no substance of its own. I was hoping a fresh perspective on the other side of the world could take a stab at what Sonic Team struggles with, and what they came up with is Sonic shoved in a PS2 mascot platformer with a few sectioned off speed bits so they could still call it Sonic. If it didn't have Sonic attached no one would bat an eyelid.

Then again it's more like I'm conditioned to expect the worst with Sonic games and then be pleasantly surprised. Again I see ideas that could work if applied correctly to the Sonic formula but miss the mark by a long shot.

10. corneliab

corneliab

I had a lot of fun with those Lords of Shadow games. They actually did incorporate a lot of stuff from the older games into them, but most people just don't seem to care, which is kind of sad and kind of telling.

This Sonic Boom stuff looks like an unmitigated disaster, though.

11. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I think I'm also in the disinterested boat. It looks like an entirely different game with a Sonic player skin. The sections where you do go fast don't even look fun.

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    The combat looks disappointingly repetitive. Oh well.

13. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I was hoping there would be good ideas in here for Sonic Team to cull for the main series, but everything we've seen so far seems completely uninspired. Oh well... Back to waiting for the next game.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Everything about this game reminds me of the Crash of the Titans series.

The horror. Actually come to think of it, if they ended the series on Generations, I'd of been sad but it may have been for the best. Nothing of significance has come since.

15. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Not really upset about it and definitely not excited, either. 100% on Team Indifferent.

With how dull it looks combined with Aliens and Miku, it's hard to even remember Sega has a booth at this year's E3. Its easily their poorest.

16. Metalsonicmk72

Metalsonicmk72

Team Indifferent Number 5, present.

The dialogue and banter I'll give it a chance for it to show if it's worth something, same thing with the sluggish combat and automated speed sections. But the audio, the music needs more life to it and pushes me into the indifferent territory's core. Don't get me wrong, I like orchestrated tracks as much as the next guy, but the music itself sounds like it's bored. Where are the upbeat tracks that give us a boost of confidence? How about upbeat and fast paced? Not feeling it here, this stuff just reminds me of when I was playing PSO2 about a year ago, and eventually I turned off the music because of how tired and dull it was in favor of videogame tunes that would keep me awake and feel like the people composing them actually cared about the quality of their audio to bring life to their game.

17. NoNameAtAll

NoNameAtAll

MY HAT'S ON FIRE. HALP! Moderator
    To me, things got a bit too gory from what I've seen of LoS2. And that's not getting into the destruction of Castlevania's amazing soundtracks.

Seriously, not one track pumped me like Divine Bloodlines or any of the earlier games' songs did. But that's a whole other matter entirely.

Anyway, I agree that SBoom seems uninspired, but I can't force myself to care one way or another.

And that saddens me.

18. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    At least this time we know it will be awful before we play it.

Honestly. What a mess.

19. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Team Indifferent member #6 here! We need badges.

Anyways, I sort of expected this but I'm not too bothered seeing as its all alternate universe and whatnot. wish the game was more speed stages though.

20. All right. Time to spill my thoughts.

First off...the 3DS version in my opinion is complete shit. Although it seems to play more like a Sonic game should compared to the Wii U version, Sonic is slow as hell, Knuckles digging underground is just a red re-skin of the yellow drill mechanic (I shouldn't really be bothered by this, as I see no other way of that type of mechanic working in 2D). Even though this is early footage, I've seen enough. I'm normally the type to still wait until a game is out and see a full playthrough or acquire the game and test it out before I give my full opinion on it, but mine is set in stone for the 3DS version. I do expect good music though, as it is being run by SoJ. Seriously, fuck this version.

For the Wii U version, I do actually like the beat 'em up kinda gameplay style, and it works very well for the likes of Knuckles and Amy, and even Tails to a certain extent, but no so much for Sonic. Don't get me wrong though. I've been waiting for YEARS for Sonic to be able to do the stuff he's doing in this game, but I feel as though because of this, the focus of speed is lost dramatically. Yes, the game has its segements of speed based levels, but, as it appears, these are levels where the characters are constantly moving forward, only giving the player control at certain moments, and I HATE SHIT LIKE THAT. That's the problem I had with games like Secrent Rings. I want to have control of Sonic, and be able to move him around in his own environment, and not being restricted to just moving forward, while having serious difficulty in moving Sonic left or right when I slow down. (And not being able to turn around. WTF was up with that?). I think that they may be pulling a SLW here with a walk and run button, so hopefully Sonic (and co.) have the ability to move faster than that little jog that we've seen them do. I'm optimistic about this game, but as it is a spin off series, you can make me lucky number 7 on Team indifferent here. I want the game to be good, but if it fails, then oh well. I have other games that I'm looking forward to (like BF Hardline), and can wait another year for the next mainstream Sonic title.

I do like the banter though, but shit like "RINGS! NOMNOMNOM!" needs to stop. I hope there isn't much of that.