don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. FireRat

FireRat

Nah. Fuck it. Banned
    Chile
    Mobius Evolution 2
    I really like how it's getting so far, KingOfHarts.
    I think the interface is pretty ok, but you would want to put some kind of "target" image at the center of the map editor, so it's possible to know if the map is well positioned in case people does new objects or change animations.

Now I wanna ask, will this allow image import for the sprites? If so, will it support the PCX or some similar format? Or any other method that lets us pick the colors freely rather than working around a glitchy auto-detection.

2. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    As for a target image... there IS one... I just didn't set it to appear in front yet... oops. That will be fixed, and it will be a toggle-able option, as well as outlines around individual pieces which can be displayed by themselves and edited.

As for image import... I'm afraid that for now, that will be probably the one biggest weakness... is that there will likely not be support for this... for now. I'm just honestly not sure how exactly to do that yet, though I will explore it after the main stuff is done.

I too hate the auto detection. A color selection is ideal for this feature, as I'm not sure that there is any great way to be able to do proper detection on its own... but again, not on the cards in the immediate future, though it is so... down the line.

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    If you're going to do image import at all, please don't only support PCX. Many other image formats support indexed color modes, such as GIF, PNG, or even BMP.

4. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    This. So much. But yeah that looks pretty neat!

5. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Well shoot me down! It's about time someone got around to making one of these... I like the setout I must say. I would love to see a ruler on the X and Y axis though.

I do have a question about mapping formats that will be supported. SonMapEd obviously has I think three or four game formats supported, and are fixed directly into the tool, and selectable under a menu. Do you plan to do it in the same way? Or will you consider some sort of format file/script/dll that the tool can read for different available formats? The reason why I ask, is that I'm hoping you'll go for the later, thus allowing anyone to make their own format file/script/dll/whatever for any specific format for say another Mega Drive game that has a different format.

6. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    This is an interesting thing to consider... I'll be completely honest, I never once thought about that. As it stands, it is all pre-programmed, but that can be easily changed... OR I could simply add a "Load Custom format" option. While we are on that topic, I could look into doing something similar for Compression formats as well... say, if someone wants to use Comper... or Star Compression, or whatever the hell else is out there.

Thanks for the tip Markey, I'll definitely look into it.

7. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Japan
    [​IMG]

How do we feel about this?

8. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Mad.

This should've been done five years ago; now I don't need it anymore. :(

Great to see this being done at last though.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    MS Paint with set palettes for sprites? I love it =P

10. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Japan
    No, not for sprites, it's actually for map planes. But support for sprite output assembling might be an idea.

11. JojHeywood

JojHeywood

Arbitrary. Member
    That's what I initially assumed it was.

12. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Awesome stuff. This will certainly make editing the Title Screen much less of a pain!

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I wish SonLVL's built-in editor looked that good.

14. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Looks great! Only thing I don't like is the blue-as-fuck UI. Coming from someone who's favorite color is blue. Unless that's your OS settings doing that, of course.

15. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Japan
    What colour would you prefer? The colour blue was chosen for no particular reason.

16. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I wish for something like that for sprites and maps....the color is too bright, maybe a generic grey will hurt less on the eyes

17. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I'd recommend following the OS' UI in terms of color and style. Generally making your program different just for the heck of it doesn't work too well. This is what I do for programs with GUI designs. Granted, this makes the program not stand out too well and look a little generic, but I prefer it that way. Function over form.

If you want to keep the blues, I'd just recommend toning them down.

18. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Japan
    OK, so what if I...

[​IMG]

19. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Much better. Also what you're doing looks great and easy to use.

20. FuzzballFox

FuzzballFox

Hmmmmm Member
    UK - Hampshire
    Nothing anymore
    Looks awesome! :D I would recommend a text box next to the RBG sliders to input hex by text too~