don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (the Sonic OVA Fan Game)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by P3DR0, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    I actually like your model in the video better. The new one just doesn't look like Sonic. The spike shapes sorta makes it look like a helmet on top of his head and the hard edges on his shoes make them look like boots. Maybe you were trying to reinvent Sonic but it's just not working for me at least. Fortunately I'm only one opinionated guy and you don't have to listen to me. :D

2. winterhell

winterhell

Please no homing attack or boost :(

3. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I also like the one in the videos better. His face looks too wide in the newer one...

4. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Oh hei, check it out guys, we have done some changes and started on the textures (Gloves/Socks and Shoes not texturized yet, don't bitch). Rig is almost done also, I'm pretty sure we'll see this bad boy done in not so much time.

[​IMG]

5. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Done!

[​IMG]

Come on. Let's give some feedback. Don't look and not comment, don't be cheap, there is more to the "Fangaming Discussion" than LakeFeperd.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Alright, I'll respond. The top spike looks too long, I really don't like Sonic's center mouth, the shading in side the ears looks odd (too black/dark), the eyes could be a bit rounder towards the middle, too much eyebrow ass face (the eyebrow ridges are too big, consider making them bump out less), and the front of the head in the side view in the bottom left looks too flat, you should round it out a bit. Oh and maybe give him some pupil white.

the rest (body, shoes, etc), look just fine. Overall it's pretty good.

7. winterhell

winterhell

Aside from the cleavage eyebrows, a side mouth maybe?

8. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Why is he so perturbed? He looks like Eggman just pissed in his coffee, or something. It's not like Sonic never gets angry, but having this as his base expression is a bit unflattering.

9. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    The dark ears and "cleavage eyebrows" are due the ambient occlusion from 3DS Max. Check it out the pic I posted yesterday and you'll see that's not an issue.

The mouth we made it on the middle to make it easier to rig and model, but after we're done rigging if we want to we can put it on the sides without a problem (but it will probably stay on the middle most of the time because we like that way).

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    [​IMG]

How about that

EDIT: Ok I see some of those things are not permanent, but ya other changes (And of course modeling would make this look better than my 3 minute photoshop edit)

11. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Dark Sonic, it looks cool, but I asure you that your concerns aren't really an issue. The spikes aren't glued in place, they'll have gravity affecting them once we start animating, and the only reason they're like that at this point it's because it's easier to rig. The eye will also have a white ball that will be done with specular maps in the engine, that way they'll react to light instead of being fixed in place, same goes for the nose.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Could we see an in motion version then? If what you say is true, it's hard to judge the model (although regardless I still feel like the eyebrows need to be brought back, the head needs to be rounder, and the top spike needs to be shorter. Also, doesn't Sonic have 3 middle spikes?)

13. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    We need to finish the rig first. Trust me, if it were done, we would've show an animation and not just a picture. But here is a piece of comparison:
    Oldest model, without a rig, in T-position.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2mcgloAcNI

The very same model, in action, with the rig done:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccwKZRIx5pU

Check it out how it looks almost like another model.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ok, I've investigated it a bit. It seems the top spike is still too large (top spike needs to be wider, flatter, and shorter) and the eyes and forehead should be a bit rounder (basically, your current rig is too serious. Sonic shouldn't be too serious, he's supposed to be cute and cool. More video game style, less Sonic the Comic style, because we all know how that turned out). I'm curious to see what the current model looks like rigged, like I said, I do like a lot of it, but the head still needs some work.

Although I do like that the light will be properly reflected off the eyes. That's the one thing that pissed me off about the Sonic Generations model, because for some reason, despite the fact that modern Sonic has the opposite/normal reflection, classic Sonic's eye reflection is on the bottom of the eye. That was never reflected in any artwork ever and it looks very, very wrong because of it.

EDIT: I was wrong. Classic Sonic has 2 middle spikes.

15. Vaiyt

Vaiyt

Oglio p'ru çeu Member
    Who died and made you the authority on how Sonic "should" be? Giving criticism and opinions is all well and good, but don't expect P3DR0 or Miden to model your ideal Sonic for you.

16. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    The model looks great! My only nitpick is that the head looks a bit too big and his expression seems like somebody went and woke him up and decided to piss him off.

It looks great otherwise though.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Classic Japan style Sonic is what I'm thinking of here. That is what I consider my authority for what Sonic should be. The American and European classic Sonic styles can go die in a fire for all I care, because from them we got fine box arts such as this (Which for some reason Sonic the Comic actually decided to reflect in it's drawing style eventually, which only makes me cringe):

[​IMG]

and this

[​IMG]

And I was trying to give criticism and opinions, and maybe that meant I show an edit of what I think a decent looking Sonic model might look like based off how I've seen classic Sonic mostly interpreted in the art that I like. They asked for opinions, I tried to deliver, but in the end you're right it's up to them to decide what they want to do because it's their game and I'm perfectly fine with that. And they're right too, without seeing this rigged in game it's harder to judge, so I tried to give advice based off what I saw. Am I asking for my ideal Sonic? No, in fact, Generations pretty much nailed that for me classic Sonic model wise (All of the classic models looked great IMO, save for Robotnik, who looked rather odd with those eyebrows). I was just giving notes on what I think (key word think) a nice Sonic model might look like.

I also want to add that at that point in time I was drinking and therefore my choice of words may have not been the best. If I came off as a dick, my apologies, I had no intention of doing so.

18. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Ey, Retro!
    A little piece of trivia for you guys:

What is pink, warm, soft and pretty?

Amy Rose, of course.

[​IMG]

Amy joins the adventure. What is her place in all of this? Only time will tell.
    Amy has recieved a big design change, but also we wanted to bring back her original personality from the classic era. Goodbye obnoxious borderline pyschopath trying to get Sonic to marry her. Welcome back Sonic's number 1 fan in the whole world.

Now that should be interesting.

Also, keep an eye open. There is something coming up in the next few weeks or so.

19. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Nice design. I think if you would lose the details on the socks, remove the "turtleneck" part of the dress, and do something about her weird shoulder pads/pauldrons, it'd be even better.

20. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Don't be hard on the detail of her socks. They're little Saniks.
    [​IMG]