don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Didn't Hiroyuki Miyazaki head up one of the last X-Treme teams before the game got cancelled? If so, the X-treme elements would make sense here, since he's representing it... But I may be remembering incorrectly.

2. Vahkiti

Vahkiti

Canadialand
    Professional let's player, video gamer, chiptune composer
    For the most part, I treated the similarities as a homage at best, a happy coincidence at worst. This however... might change things.

I've been back and forth recently discussing it on the Senntient forums. So far, I haven't gotten any comments about it from Senn himself, nor any of the other former Xtreme staffers. I quoted a couple of you guys in my last post of the topic. http://www.senntient.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=38442

3. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

All of these things are too close to the concept to be a coincidence, especially those little mushroom things, that's straight outta X-treme.

4. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Honestly I think similar mushrooms isn't very much to go on to assume this is based on X-Treme. It seems very likely to me that they could've ended up with this product even without prior knowledge of X-Treme. I really doubt a cancelled Sonic game for Saturn/PC developed in America was on their minds while making this.

But maybe that's just me.

5. VizardJeffhog

VizardJeffhog

Sonic Stadium Staffer, Gamnesia Writer Member
    Ottawa
    I'd very much like to know what are Senn's thoughts on this title.

...or if he's involved in any way.

6. Extended Play

Extended Play

What!? Banned
    varies
    Project AXSX, teaching C/C++ for GBA
    I can see why 60fps has become so important. Everything looked so smooth and clear in the trailer that I couldn't help but watch it 7-8 times just for the free eye candy. I don't think Generations needed as much detail as it had. This higher-contrast simplistic visual style for the game should make playing the game feel a little less confusing and make it easier to avoid missing alternate paths. Boosting in Generations while having to mentally process everything in the game environment could be a headache sometimes in a similar (albeit to a much lesser extent) manner as playing Call of Duty where everything blends in so well, you have to squint to notice important objects from a distance. All in all, I think it's great that the levels will look more like Seaside Hill and less like Crisis City.

Sonic's new arsenal of moves looks pretty exciting too. The triple bounce attack beats the pants off of a homing attack chain.

Maybe if we're lucky, we'll get an optional wide-angle lens mode so we can get the Xtreme Xperience.

7. Vahkiti

Vahkiti

Canadialand
    Professional let's player, video gamer, chiptune composer
    Firstly, ohai, didn't expect to meet you here. :P

Second, you should join the Senntient forums if you want to get something out of Senn. As I said earlier, I posted a topic there the other day about this to, (so far) no response, however he seems to be active there almost daily. If you want to catch him, be it by topic, or PM, that would likely be the best place.

8. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    During the past 3 years I have been sharing videos and screens of AXSX with Kazuyuki Hoshino ( Senior Art Director at SEGA) He's always given positive feedback.

9. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

Senn's not on this project, right? So the chances of Tiara being in this are pretty much nil, right? Good riddance.

Pretty happy to see X-treme being released, I do wonder if Metal Sonic will be a bossfight still. That blue chaos emerald has to be obtained somehow!

10. synchronizer

synchronizer

Guys.

This is Sonic X-treme:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEUmPu9GCTq5RCChi5lFJ1xa-_CtDDZc3P2eoSfnea1rl2X_Y2
    —a relatively boring, flat block structure that has a fisheye camera applied to it. Sonic Lost World looks almost nothing like Sonic X-treme. I would say that Sonic Lost World is similar to Mario Galaxy at the very most.

11. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Well, Lost World is relatively boring level structure with the 3DS Max Bend Tool :v:.

12. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

Jesus christ, this argument again. Okay let me make a couple of points that pretty much cements for me this is Sonic X-treme.

*The game started as Sonic Mars, then Sonic Saturn, then Sonic Xtreme for some reason, and now Sonic Lost World. The naming pattern for the game pretty much alludes to Sonic Xtreme's history.
    *As previously noted in pages prior to this, the story of the game appears to be one of the stories for Sonic X-treme
    *The open-world gameplay draws more paralels to Sonic X-treme than Galaxy.
    *The "gravity-based" gameplay seen in the Lost World trailer (and mario galaxy) WAS IN XTREME. I'm not talking about the fish-eye camera here, but as you see here, gravity based mechanics and full 360 degree platforming were very well in place in Xtreme a full decade before Galaxy was even a thing.
    *Speculation: Sega confirmed the partnership with Nintendo had a huge part with Sonic and Nintendo's rivalry, and as you see in the promotional video for X-treme linked in the 3rd bullet, X-treme was definitely aimed at taking down Mario, so now to transform that game into a Nintendo exclusive is like a love letter between Sega/Nintendo. It just feels right and goes with what Sega and Nintendo have been saying about their partnership.
    *Speculation: Sega is going for the nostalgia lately with sonic games

Sonic Lost World definitely looks like an enhanced version of X-treme, sure, the art style is a bit different. But even the cartoony art style can be a throwback, seeing as the original concept for Xtreme (Sonic Mars) was a a game based on the cartoon, with cartoon characters.

I found this documentary pretty helpful about the history of Sonic X-treme.
    This Lost World thing doesn't appear to be a coincidence.

13. synchronizer

synchronizer

Your coincidences are also speculation, although I do see the resemblances.

14. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

Surely you can agree that there are so many "coincidences" noted that it's getting hard to call it anything but an intentional move by Sega. I'm sure we'll know more information closer to E3, although I'm not sure if SEGA will ever directly address the comparisons to X-treme.

15. Paraxade

Paraxade

Or to take that a step further... maybe the betrayal never happened after all. Maybe Eggman made the whole thing up to manipulate Sonic into helping him take control of the Deadly Six. It'd be an interesting twist :P

Err, what triple bounce attack? He uses the homing attack in the trailer.

16. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    I don't think this was posted yet, but if so, my bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcJtnqFt7U0&feature=youtu.be

Some of the stuff was a bit surprising.

17. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Do I just not pay enough attention to non-fansites? Did Generations/Unleashed/etc. ever have this same level of outsider speculation? I find it strange that they'd suddenly go "Look at all this! What could it mean?" unless they're just building up hype for TGS/E3/whatever show is up next. [/captain obvious???]

18. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    When Unleashed, Colours and Generations were announced Sonic still had a bad rep. Now that at least two of those games were well received, the general opinion for Sonic games is becoming more like "you know, those new Sonic games are actually pretty alright". Lost World was also announced at a Nintendo Direct, so it probably got some more attention because of that. It's also possibly the biggest change in a Sonic's gameplay and visual style since Sonic Unleashed.

19. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    And in addition, compared to Colors or Generations there is a lot less of typical Sonic level design in this game.

20. synchronizer

synchronizer

Too bad that can't extend to the level tropes.