don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    That's a great idea. Surprised I've not seen it implemented elsewhere.

2. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHbt6pxTfCI[/youtube]
    Guess what I started on (and over) again.

3. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    In other news, the Chicago Cubs won the world series, the Republicans in Washington allowed Obama to do something, and Muslims settle their differences with Jews. Obviously the world must be ending.

4. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    [​IMG]

5. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Hey MM, that little loading graphic is a nice touch. Will that graphic change depending on which mode you are using? (S1LVL, S2LVL, S3KLVL... etc?)

6. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    <@MainMemory> I guess I could have different animations for each game, but that seems like a lot of effort for something visible for 10 seconds max

7. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    So, here's a little something secret I've been working on for half a year now:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Obviously, it's a work in progress, but whatever, I haven't showcased anything in a long long while.

8. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    That is looking really good Markey!

9. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Awesome! I love the big sprite. It really makes an impression.

10. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW_a7iODxfY
    I still need a better name for this than "Sawnik" :v: Anyways, bit of a shield display here, not much else to say, other than the fact I need to find a better sound for the boost sound effect, haha.

11. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    [​IMG]

This is a mockup of my new Sprite Editor. I'm aiming to allow for sprite and animation viewing/editing. Obviously the layout and appearance are similar to the Palette Editor. I'm aiming to make it a more user-friendly alternative to SonMapEd... Does the community have any suggestions about what I should do that SonMapEd didn't? Or perhaps should I make any changes to the layout??

12. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Support for both of S3K's DPLC formats and my sprite mapping macros plz.

13. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    One thing I was reminded of today that I would love in a mappings editor is the ability to select what offset the loaded art should have compared to the mapping start point. For instance, the S3 title card object uses an art offset of 0, rather than where the title card actually lives, so if you just load title card letters or graphics, they're garbled, since SME assumes tile zero in the mappings is tile zero in the art file.

The other thing I'd really like is to be able to open and save assembly files while respecting the original labels (where possible/logical) and to not get in a panic over reused mapping frame and DPLC references.

14. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    include also a direct editor like the old Sonik Sprite, please.

15. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Never tried SonikSprite until I got your suggestion.

Would you be ok with the tile editor on the upper left corner? Or do you actually want the direct editor onto the sprite itself?
    The best I think I would be willing to do is allow for clicking a tile in the sprite, in order to select it for editing... outside of that it feels a tad redundant to have 2 separate places to edit tiles in the same window. Would that suffice?

I am taking note of a couple of tools and options to include, though... as far as tile editing goes. I think the dual color selection should definitely be something to implement, seeing as how almost EVERY art editor (not speaking Sonic hacking tools, just general art tools) has one.

16. Liliam

Liliam

Previously Fred Oldbie
    From the top of my head:

• Allow displaying the origin point (0,0) on the sprite screen, and to center the camera on either the sprite or the origin.
    • Easy adding/deleting of tiles to/from the art file while updating all the references automatically.
    • Allow changing the base offset for any mapping without having to delete it and make a new one starting from the correct tile. Also allow batch offsetting of entire sprite(s).
    • Animated preview for a sprite animation with support for arbitrary frame set/order and animation speed.

17. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    I felt inspired to make one myself: http://games.galaxytrail.com/sfx/ear_rape.wav
    (Warning: Lower your speaker volume first.)
    Go ahead and use it if you want. xD

I kinda hope you can finish this hack, actually. It seems like an appropriately difficult version of Sonic 1 where not only do you have to clear the stages, but you also need to be smart about which monitors you hit so that you have a way to escape the nether realm. I wonder what happens with Robotnik when things go wonky...

18. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    You are very kind, but the samples I have in there already pad out the filesize beyond what I'd like to keep it. I'll keep it in mind for other things, though. :P

Actually, monitors respawn when warped, so there's always a method of escape. You just have to hope there's a monitor nearby, as you might have to backtrack to get to one in time. I am considering a "hard mode" of sorts where this doesn't happen, but as the warping after the first is always randomised, that wouldn't always be possible to beat.

You'll have to wait and see. :U

Funnily enough, as I generally do with things like this, I started this whole thing over again and built it from scratch, using the new S1EE base instead of something else which was not completely appropriate for it (a different hack of which will not be revealed any time soon, ask no more plskthx). GHZ is complete and completable, as is MZ (of which is balls hard, especially when traversing lava is involved).

I suppose some more eye-candy can happen too. :> (The quality is shit, but thank youtube for that.)
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB_zWw3BWS0[/youtube]

19. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    You know, that video would've been a whole lot creepier if it wouldn't look like it was recorded with a toaster. Fix your encoding or some shit before you upload something to YouTube. :v:

However, I have a question: Will you somehow introduce the two obnoxious sounds from Sonic.EXE in the future (the loud scream and the Kefka laugh)? Also, will there be more than escaping EXE and finding monitors?

20. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    :P if you look at the video, it's unlisted; sharing it was a spur-of-the-moment thing.

Nope; the only sounds will be the ones used to Praise Him.

Uhh, discounting the bosses being slightly different (due to how bosses don't have monitors, obviously) and it recording your time, score, rings, etc, no. I'm considering making time bonuses either more lenient or working differently altogether, and possibly making score count down when warped, but we'll see.