don't click here

Sonic CD (2011) Post-Release Bugs/Fixes/Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Dec 15, 2011.

1. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    It's on the list, along with Sonic 1-3k, Sonic CD DLC, A new 2D Sonic, SegaSonic Arcade etc. Take your pick :v:

That's a relief, I was sure I'd fixed it already.

2. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    When you're working on these titles, do you propose each game individually, or after the success of CD will they pretty much go along with any game you put the effort into porting?

3. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    You missed the joke there. :v:

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Will it ever be fixed for us iOS users though?

5. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Well, so I did. I'm tired. :flunked:

6. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    With the exception of any crazy circumstances, yes. Give me time bronik, I'm actually working on other stuff currently.

Yeah, there's the fact that I don't want to be typecast as a ports guy forever; it irks me every time I read a "but he just ported the game, it's not like he knows how to design his own stuff blah blah" - f that. But I guess the best way to answer that question is that it falls somewhere between:

- What I want / think is feasible as the developer
    - What Sega wants / thinks is feasible as the IP holder
    - And what YOU want as the audience

7. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Definitely Chaotix or a new game, then.

8. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    ^ Pretty much this, I would love to see Chaotix brought back to life and perhaps even "improved" by reverting to the predecessor physics (a.k.a. Sonic 1 - 3), a new game sounds as equally as interesting too.

9. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    While ports are dandy and all (cheap-ish development wise, likely to sell with little advertising), I'd rather see the Retro Engine flex its muscles and a new game be developed on it. Not necessarily a new Sonic, but a new game in general.

10. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    As much as I'd love to play that Sonic CD DLC, it's just about time for a brand new "old-school" Sonic game to see the light of day.
    You have both skills and artistic talent to make that happen, keeping focus on ports is a delicious waste in my opinion.

11. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    Could've sworn that Retro Engine port of Snatcher was in that list, Taxman. =<

12. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Don't tease me like that. :argh:

13. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Who the fuck needs a Snatcher port when the Sega CD version is 700 MB of perfection? Now Snatcher 2, with Gillian and Metal Gear mk.II deep in rural Russia...

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Probably those people who don't own a Sega CD and don't want to play on an emulator.

15. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Sonic CD DLC / Knuckles Chaotix Taxman Edition / Sonic 3&K Taxman Edition are all things I really want to see, but more than that I'm ready to see something new. You've got my buy no matter what you come up with.

16. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    A new game would be wonderful. If you had to make a port, though, a retro interpretation of Sonic 4 would be wonderful, followed by a S3NK Taxman edition. Chaotix personally can go die in a fire- it's an archaic novelty and no more, tbh.

17. I'd pay such good money for Knuckles Chaotix, done properly, with online coop.

18. Saidian

Saidian

England
    Blast From The Fast (Fangame)
    I'll throw my vote in the hat for a new game, Chaotix does need a port at some point but if you don't feel like doing one then you might as well do something new

19. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Chaotix remake, SCD DLC, new Sonic (or original) game, port of some other Sega game, doesn't matter to me. Anything from the Retro Engine is getting my dollars, man.

20. AfroRyan

AfroRyan

Sonic Pinball Party Stan Member
    SOIL
    I'd personally love to see something new, but I'll throw in my 2 cents for ports.

Chaotix: Needs an overhaul; has some pretty eccentric level design. I love the music and visuals (and the bonus levels are awesome imo), but the core game was just too slapdash. Although a full overhaul is probably out of the question, I would at the very least like to see an option that allowed players to play without an AI partner (I guess just remove any of the co-op based puzzles for that mode). Also, add the ability to play as Heavy or Bomb just for laughs. Might as well add Sonic and Tails...heck, even Ray would be cool (since he's a member of the Chaotix in the Archie comics now). Also, in terms of DLC, adding some levels that resemble the ones found in Sonic Crackers would be AMAZING.

Speaking of Ray, you yourself mentioned the possibility of a Sega Sonic port. That would certainly show off the versatility of the Retro Engine. If you did this, please add trackball support for the PC versions (and the consoles if there was a way to make that happen, but I doubt anyone but Microsoft/Sony has the ability to add custom USB drivers to a game). If you did both Sega Sonic and Knuckles Chaotix at the same time, you could have a cross promotional thing where you unlock Ray and Sonic in Chaotix, and maybe unlock Knuckles and Tails in Sega Sonic, when both games are owned. I assume it's simply a matter of making some custom sprites.

Sonic CD DLC: technically both old and new. Adding Knuckles would make me happy, but new levels would make me happier.

A Genesis Sonic compilation would rock...like, Sonic 1, 2, 3, and Knuckles all stitched together as a mega game (with all of the new content from 3 and Knuckles retroactively added to 1 and 2). I would love something like that. Maybe add a cliched time-travel story to tie it all together. Also, adding the level layouts from Sonic Pocket Adventure from the NGPC as DLC or unlockable content would be pretty awesome. Also, maybe add some new levels based on the Sonic 2 beta; Hidden Palace and Wood Zone go without saying since a lot of the sprite work (and in Hidden Palace's case, level layout) is there for you to use. Creating Dust Hill Zone and Genocide City Zone from scratch would certainly add a WOW factor for anyone who has dreamed of playing those levels.

An 8-bit Sonic compilation would rock as well. I've always loved the idea of porting the Game Gear games' layouts over to the Genesis/Megadrive. Your retro engine could make that happen. Also, Tails Adventure is severely underrated. If you could get a game like Tails Adventure to work in the Retro Engine, that would impress people since it's so detached from traditional "feels like Sonic" games [but conveniently enough happens to be Sonic related].

As much as I dislike Sonic Advance 2 and 3, I still think the first one is pretty awesome. A port of it would be pretty neat.

In a very general sense, adding incentives for exploration would be cool. I especially liked how Sonic Pocket Adventure encouraged exploration (and added replay value) via its hidden collectable puzzle pieces. If you wanted people to really appreciate the level design of any new levels, something like this would really help; I know I played Sonic Pocket Adventure at least 5 or 6 hours longer than I normally would have, had there been no collectables. Adding new collectables to older Sonic games would work just as well, since they had all sorts of hidden secrets and alternate paths. Tie the collectables to the achievement system and I bet you'd have people hooked.

Last, but not least, I think CollinC10's Sonic VR hack is brilliant. Adding something like that in the form of unlockable (or standard, whatever) challenge rooms would also show off the intricacies and versatility of your engine.

This isn't related to anything specifically engine-related, but I'd also love to see a speedrun leaderboard per level (or at least for game completion). The thing that pissed me off about the old Backbone XBLA ports was the fact that the leaderboard was tied to the player's score...Sonic, a game that's GOTTA GO FAST, didn't have a speedrun leaderboard. It doesn't take much skill to amass the max score; just a lot of time on your hands, which again, is very un-Sonic. Sorry, but I don't specifically remember whether or not your Sonic CD Retro Engine port had a speedrun leaderboard, so this might come across as a "been there, done that" suggestion.

Concerning BRAND NEW GAMES; do whatever you want! However, I willl say that I'd be super excited to see the Retro Sonic Nexus project (or something similar) actually become a commercial product...if only to laugh when it inevitably outsells Sonic 4.

EDIT: One more general suggestion. Regardless if it's a remake or new, it'd be great to see Sonic 2's race mode "fully realized." That is, a real time race against 2 (or heck, it's 2012, why not 4?) players in the ACTUAL levels in the ACTUAL game, and not the strange "almost but not quite" split-screen mode we got in Sonic 2 and Sonic 3. Of course, for completions sake, I wouldn't mind seeing the older modes still supported. Regardless, I doubt this would be a problem with modern computing/networking. And again: it would make the Retro Engine look REALLY good. As far as adding unique power ups exclusive to the racing mode...that'd be cool, but it'd also be cool to allow players to disable them for the sake of NO ITEMS, FOX ONLY, FINAL DESTINATION competitive play.