don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Oh, the darker tiles are due to the VDP's s/h mode. With the debug mode code activated, hold C at the startup of a level, and you'll have the described effect. You probably had the C button held at some point between the fade out of Act 1 and the loading of Act 2. I used to accidentally activate it as well back in the time.

The other thing you mentioned, however, I have no idea what could've engaged the effect, nor how to reproduce it. But I'm quite intrigued, as I never seen such a thing happening before.

2. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4a9-OBBrdU[/youtube]
    Heard about this but never saw this in action before, as I never had a Dreamcast.

Hang Castle/Mystic Mansion ghosts say hi.

3. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    The DLC's for Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 are pretty snazzy if you've never played them before.

Some of the DLC tracks are available in SADX on GC through Action Replay which leads me to wonder if they were going to be made available anyway. Also the christmas tree was in the SADX preview.

4. ItzWizzz

ItzWizzz

Speed Wiz
    Nigeria, Africa
    Genie!!!!!!!(Manga)/Unamed Sonic RPG.
    Yeah, I believe sega wanted to add the DLC to the GC version(Well they add a few of them) but for some strange reason decided not to. But I wonder why they added the DLC from SA2 to SA2 Battle, even the chao black market!!! But DX did not receive the same treatment. They were probably scrapped.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Sure they just weren't brought over with the rest of the DC codebase but disabled from being used? There's DC remnants still left over in SA:DX PC.

6. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5clRHqG1Pc[/youtube]

HOLY CRAP! I did not know the title screen for the original Japan release had a different intro. Also bad player is BAD. He doesn't use the spindash once (or didn't know it existed)...which in turn he doesn't test for breakable blocks. Also didn't explore the trees in Great Turquoise act 3 for rings, or get the cart in Sunset Park so he walked over the massive spike gap. He made the game layout seem terrible! D=

7. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    It's all there on the wiki, dude. :P

8. Endri

Endri

Next, you're gonna tell me that you didn't know that the US and the Japan title screens of Sonic CD have different Sonics... :v:

9. ItzWizzz

ItzWizzz

Speed Wiz
    Nigeria, Africa
    Genie!!!!!!!(Manga)/Unamed Sonic RPG.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Sonic 3D Blast was the first game to have the homing attack right?

10. KeebeeNacho

KeebeeNacho

WORM BAGGED Member
    USA
    I'm drawing something, not that you'll ever see it.
    Indeed, via power up.

11. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I hate that this is such a well discussed "fact". Having a shield that homes in to badniks in such a primative way does not mean that Sonic 3D Blast was the first game to have 'the homing attack'. It had a power up based homing ability for when Sonic was more or less directly above the targeted badnik, but not THE homing attack. Did it even influence the Adventure one? Who knows, but it's such a poor comparison that people shouldn't even mention it.

That's how I feel anyway. One could agrue that the boost in Modern Sonic games was derived from the speed shoes of past games, that's more or less the comparison we're making.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's an attack that homes in on enemies. How the fuck is that NOT a homing attack?

It may be different but it serves the same function. Sonic CD's spindash is different from Sonic 2's, but it's still a spindash.

13. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

The problem is, it doesn't work like that. You stand more or less right over an enemy, and it just instantly zones you in to make sure you don't miss the badnik and to avoid any side weaponry it might have. It's also a temporary power up.

The real home attack is part of Sonic's basic moveset, can be used repeatedly, can be used to chain enemies, can be used without enemies locked on to give him a boost and this homing attack is much more flexible. Apart from the fact that it essentially makes the enemies easier to hit, it has literally nothing to do with the actual homing attack in later games. As I compared, it's like the notion that the boost system appeared as the speed shoes- yes, it makes you go faster and serves the same basic function, but you can't really call it an evolution.

So 'a' homing attack was first introduced in Sonic 3D, but 'the' homing attack was first used in Sonic Adventure.

I'm being pissy, but I've seen this topic arise many times like it's something amazing- it's not. The homing attack from 3D blast and Adventure onward are two totally different things, that serve the same basic function but have little else in common.

14. KeebeeNacho

KeebeeNacho

WORM BAGGED Member
    USA
    I'm drawing something, not that you'll ever see it.
    It was the first game where Sonic could perform a homing attack. It's an interesting fact.

You're getting wrapped up in the details. If the next 3D Sonic game has a severely nerfed homing attack range and is only available via power up you wouldn't go ranting about how it shouldn't be called homing attack, would you?

Would you...?

15. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Sonic Adventure featured several throwbacks to Sonic 3D (obviously amongst other games), such as re-used soundtracks, a button used purely for spindashing, and those familiar four-spike panel things seen in the stages. I wouldn't personally rule out the (admittedly modified) homing attack being another throwback.

16. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Well of course it would be a homing attack, but it's not the same one. I wouldn't call the 3D Blast one the original homing attack. Moreso it seemed to have been included as a finer version of the fire sheild to help players on the isometric field of play, so whilst it serves that same basic function, it arguably cannot be said that the homing attack first appeared in 3D Blast. It's just not the same one, that's all.

17. Endri

Endri

It is an attack. It homes in on enemies.

The English manual list it as the "Blast Attack." The description says: "Press Button A or C to jump, and press either button again in midair to home in on enemies."

The Saturn Japanese manual lists it as "Home Attack."

Sonic 3D Blast is the first Sonic game to have this feature.

Period.

18. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    You forgot scripted loops with dash panels :specialed:

19. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I really did. But the first thing I noticed upon first EVER playing Sonic Adventure was how like Sonic 3D it is. I didn't ever not think the homing attack was pulled right out of it.

20. Endri

Endri

Oh, snap! Now this is what this thread is about! This is a curious similarity!

I felt the exact same way. Immediately upon seeing Adventure, I felt that it was a natural progression of Sonic 3D Blast. I mean, the homing attack, the little animals that you collect, the Stage Clear jingle, the Green Grove music in Windy Valley, etc...

In fact, I immediately thought that Windy Valley "The Air" was actually the 3D re-edition of the Tails' Special Stage from the Genesis release of Sonic 3D Blast.

Upon seeing it now, I believe that Windy Valley "The Air" was at least based on it.