don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water

I hear a bit of Metropolis drums in there.

2. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdtEph_JCHk [/youtube]

So yeah. From the 25min mark onwards, there's Death Egg MK II. It looks awesome. The next video he uploads will be the moneyshot though.

3. Falk

Falk

Yeah, quite a tasteful nod in there. I think the only thing that really bugs me about the OST now (and to be honest Senoue's music in general) is his harmonic vocabulary is pretty much limited to the same 3 chord progressions (or variations thereof) and his melodies always, always, ALWAYS have the exact same phrasing (3 bar melody ending on a pause lasting a bar, REPEAT IT ONCE LOL) In a sense part of why the music isn't as catchy as it could have been is -predictability-.

I mean, compare that to the versatility of Jacques (or anyone else in the franchise's musical roster, really) and you'll see where most of the 'could be better' comes from.

4. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Episode_II_%28Beta_8%29

Made a wiki page for Beta 8. If anyone has anything to add to it, feel free to.

5. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    It's because it's pretty evident that you can only hear half of the song, unless everyone uploading videos is failing at recording half of the sounds. It seems like one synth is way too loud and everything else (including SFXs) are incredibly muted.

Also, does the "DEATH" synth heard in Desert Oil and Death Egg sound a lot like a certain instrument used in Phantasy Star III?

And Death Egg mk.II looks fucking awesome, btw. Although it seems like its just going to be 3 mini boss acts.

Man, I've had the idea for Death Egg mk.II forever in my fantasized fan game...

6. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Does anyone else think that the ability to make Tails grab you no matter what situation you are in a massive game breaker? The person playing in that recent video was spared dying and even careful effort to pass certain obstacles by using it. I'm sure that's pretty cool for those people that just want an experience but defeats alot of the effort that alot of us enjoy doing.

7. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Oh this is one of the best songs in the game!

8. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Yes, I agree; this is the only thing that is bringing the OST down a bit for me. Otherwise, I personally feel that the tracks are melodically beautiful, and work with the stage they are in (bar SCZ Act 1). The instruments are also audibly better than Ep:1's, to a significant degree. Additionally, I found the Twinkle Park bit in White Park to be funny for some reason; it stands out so awkwardly to me, like it was just randomly inserted into the song or something.

Does anyone else really like those Homing Attack platforms in Sylvania Castle (the ones that turn sideways when hit)? They pleasantly give a nice "level gimmick" to the zone that puts the Homing Attack to good use (though I hope it was implemented in more areas than we saw in the video. Either that or I'm just in a great mood right now. That last Zone also quite viewtiful as well.

Also, how old do you guys think this 'Beta 8' is? I'm guessing about January, seeing that most of it seems to be finished in the leak.

9. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Since the cat is out of the bag anyway, and because I feel sorry for you guys after hearing that SFZ "rip" with constant propeller noise in the background, here's the Sonic 4 Episode II soundtrack. Clean, ripped from the game files, V0, no sound effects or YouTube-quality.

Download. Down, way to hammer my Dropbox you guys.
    Mirror #1 (thanks Slashy!)

10. As much as I would love to hear the Death Egg Soundtrack amongst other final level soundtracks, I can't convince myself to download 127mb of Soundtrack over a 3G connection I use whilst at University. Especially when I have hindsight that about 80% of the soundtrack's total wank too in my opinion...

11. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    There's already a Death Egg 2.

[​IMG]

:colbert:

12. serpx

serpx

Welp, I've spoiled myself to the max. I must say, the last two levels of this game look and sound awesome. I sure did miss having epic cutscenes, stories, and bosses. Very fun to watch, I'm definitely buying.

Way better job this round SEGA. I already want Episode 3.

13. corneliab

corneliab

Okay, I want this game now. It looks pretty fun, and a marked improvement over the first game too. Granted, I did have a good time with Episode 1 despite its flaws.

Episode Metal just sweetens the pot.

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

My copy of the game has crashed now. I've been playing it all day, but won't be able to start it up again until May. Oh well.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Really liking the OST - the instrumentation is much better than before, you can tell just from the title screen music. One or two surprise tracks in here, too =P

16. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Guess Who! Do you think you could upload the ost in aax format too? :)

Thanks!

17. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Stardust Speedway with the S4 synths? Secret stage I suppose since it's a full song.

EDIT: Just realized it's the Bad Future one. Probably used as his theme during the boss fight.

18. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Thank you! I hate to sound like an ingrate, but could you upload a 320 version of the soundtrack with longer tracks?

19. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    Wow, I was a bit worried with the Sylvania Castle Act 1 we had last month about the music department of this game and overall it's actually very catchy!
    I love it, definitely an improvement over Episode I.

20. Falk

Falk

It's in distribute-friendly AAX. Bumping the bitrate to 320 isn't going to magically make it sound better. :|

Your best bet at minimizing degradation would be the original AAX files.