don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Congrats, you found debug keys left in this testing build of the game

2. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Then stop complaining! You buying it is enabling them to keep churning out the same tired old shite you just complained about now... because people like you tolerate it.

That's almost as easy as racking up lives in Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

3. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Game looks like a visual mess in motion, that constant full screen glaring from the sun in Sylvania Castle Zone is really annoying and just looks bad.

The level design looks a bit better than Episode 1 but spindashing is still a broken piece of shit and you can abuse the Tails button way too easily. It's all hit or miss, but it's definitely not worth buying, just like Episode 1 was. Doesn't even feel like a Classic Sonic game anymore, now it's taken on it's own identity as a new 2D Sonic altogether, and it still looks mediocre.

4. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gowuf4wCrE&feature=plcp&context=C4b2b7e2VDvjVQa1PpcFPiPKinqGdS9UjY8BMfwpqyXJHJHqFDfWI=[/youtube]

Holy shit @ :38. Pleasure Castle snuck into the song for a few seconds!

5. SonKnuck

SonKnuck

The Lazy Guy Oldbie
    Quebec
    DBZ Re-enactment and LPs on Youtube
    EDIT:
    This message never existed.

Thank you for trashing it and pretending you never even saw its existence. May you live in peace.

6. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Dispite the leak, shouldn't we log this beta into the wiki? we already found a sort of debug keys and all.

7. Falk

Falk

Hahaha wow, it sounds like it's trying a little too hard to be Aquatic Ruin zone without a clear understanding of the music theory concepts that went into the original :|

8. Damn, White Park Act 2 looks dreadfully boring. Dustarma, you were right on the money with "sonic_advance_2_3D.avi?"

9. Ken has gotten word of the leak and spoke about it

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?407162-Sonic-4-Episode-II-Steam-Leak-from-Ken

10. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.

But its not gotta go fast :(...

Please, show me a comparison.

EDIT: Ken is being very fair about this, what a cool guy. all hes asking is for the leaks to stay off the SEGA community. Sorry about this Ken, but just to be fair Generations did get leaked too. its just inevitable with us.

11. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Lazy as shit level design, what the fuck Dimps.

12. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Any further discussion on files or torrenting will result in an immediate, permanent ban.

Any further one-lining will get you a seven-day sharking.

Don't be stupid.

13. DinnerSonic

DinnerSonic

Never Posting Since 2004! Member
    Ken seems awfully nice about the leak there, though I'm going to be blunt and say I'm gonna ignore his "it's improved since then!" claims. I'm sure there's a few less glitchy wiggles, but I doubt they'll change anything major.

Kinda sad, as it doesn't look like they'd have to do much to make it go from a good game to a great one... or at least from a decent to good one. Stick to some level design rules(no spring chains... perhaps create a new gimmick if you must spruce up certain tunnels, take out most boosters unless there is a severe physics issue, outside of one zone/act if it has a speed gimmick, no obligatory homing attack chains outside of maybe the final level) nerf the super moves in some way and greatly increase the speed rolling gains... you wouldn't have perfect classic physics but just a few level and value tweaks would do a world of difference while not requiring much work or alienating any kind of supercasual quick speed fix fans.

That and get rid of the "retro" music soundfont and boss song.

14. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    These leaks confirmed my suspicions- that the gameplay would be enjoyable enough, the music mediocre, the bosses probably all easy save the last and that the rolling combo is too powerful. I mean, it doesn't get hurt by spikes. Seriously. I agree with DinnerSonic in that it wouldn't take very much to make the game that much better, but to be perfectly honest I'm fine with what I got and at least it's not E1 all over again.

In any case- Ken shouldn't really be worried about the publicisation of a beta, as that's typically happened before- the Simon Wai beta, CLOCK ORK zone, that sort of thing. It almost makes the game a bit more classic-like, anyways. :v:

15. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    Well, there are three things to keep in mind:
    1: The Little Planet is supposed to appear in E2 (don't know, haven't seen that far into the leaks yet) and it is said it only appears on the last month of the year (IE: December, where the days are shorter and the nights are longer.)

2: White Park is the northernmost zone on the map screen. It's a small thing, but it helps.

3: The Aurora Borealis is fuckin' beautiful, and they're hyped up about showing off their NVIDIA Tegra crap or something, so they put it in to stress-test or something? Also, because it looks nice.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's a Simpsons quote don't over analyize it

17. Just a quick look at Youtube comments by these video authors explains a few future stuff.

Yes there's Death Egg. No it's not Little Planet. Apparently the last boss involves Sonic jumping between rings and getting to the center of the Death Egg or something. The video with the Sky Fortress Zone, the author of that video, recorded the last half of the game. So it shouldn't be long before he posts everything at the end.

Other than that, music's shit. That drum sample is still over used and the level design seems reaaaaaally iffy. Every level seems to want to kill you through the level design, and not simply enemy placement. Whether it be things slamming you / crushing you, drowning you, or death pit. Sky Fortress (fuck it, it's Wing Fortress to me), seems very much guilty. And no amount of "it's the penultimate level" or "you have the air combo move" will solve this issue that I can see with the game.

18. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    What surprises?! Everything I've seen from the leaked videos has practically nothing original. Ken you are the biggest troll why do you try to sell this to classic fans when we of all people can pick out exactly what Episode 2 is rehash. I mean those gimmicks from Death Egg 2 have been rehashed can we just stop this mickey mouse bullshit it makes the game boring stripping iconic gimmicks from the classic games. All I want is a decent amount of original content for a classic style game, how many times do I have to beat my fucking head on a concrete wall to get the message through to that unimaginative team called DIMPS that this bullshit won't be tolerated no more.

Also did anyone else notice that DIMPS tried to have a laugh at the whole rehash business with the Aquatic Ruin boss statues and smashed them up afterwards. It would have been funny if the majority of the content was completely original but instead it just brings light on to the matter that they are so bad with coming up with anything genuinely new.

EDIT:

this seems appropriate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_bx6B3dBMM

19. I'm not allowed to talk about the problems of a game because I think its decent enough to purchase? Every game has problems, but I'm not allowed to notice them because I'm thinking of purchasing it? Also, its not like I'm picking it up just because its a Sonic game, I'm buying the game because I think the game, despite some flaws, will in the end be enjoyable.

20. Falk

Falk

To be fair, what some consider rehashes, other consider (ridiculously blatant) easter eggs. His point stands; finding out which levels were remade for Generations were 'spoilers' in the same light, even if they were all officially revealed prior to game release.