don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread II

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    haha what I've played Unleashed wii quite a lot and I didn't notice it until last night.

2. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    Just picked up the 3DS version.

Oh god these cutscenes suck.

3. You notice exactly how much time travel has been going on throughout the series? Think about it...

Sonic CD: Traveling to the distant past, present, apocalyptic future, and bright happy future... repeatedly/back and forth
    Sonic Adventure: Traveling to the distant past to learn more about today's monster-of-the-week, Chaos
    Sonic 2006: Traveling to the distant future, then present, then ret-conning the events out of existance, then taking back said ret-con for an extra set of levels in Generations
    Sonic Generations: Travels to every era Sonic has ever been to, including the past, not-quite-as-far past, what-had-to-be-just-last-week (Planet Wisp), and technically-the-distant-future-but-still-Sonic's-past (Crisis City)
    Sonic Generations 3DS: Same as above, but both completely different and the same thing, due to the different levels, same storyline... Screwing with the timeline so much will do stuff to ya!

You know, by this point, it's a miracle Sonic can keep everything straight. I can just imagine a paranoid, schizophrenic Sonic constantly harassing Tails about what year it is, and talking about the "good old days", mentioning things that were either 15 minutes ago or haven't happened yet! And there's poor Tails, debating whether or not he should put Sonic in a mental ward or not by this point... Who knows, maybe that's been Eggman's plan all along!

I can't believe I just wasted one of my trial posts on that...

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Let's discuss something else. What songs fit surprisingly well over some of the levels? I have a few

vs. Shadow: I Am all of me (This one fits really well especially in terms of the opening cutscene)
    vs. Silver: His World
    Speed Highway: Special Stage: Bonus Challenge
    Seaside hill modern: A new Venture
    Seaside Hill classic: Hydrocity Zone
    Crisis City: His World
    Rooftop Run: Endless Possibilities
    City Escape: Sonic Boom
    Any vs. Character mission: Special Stage: Bonus Challenge or the original Super Sonic Racing

Any other ones you guys have noticed?

5. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Personally, I slapped Sonic Boom on Modern Speed Highway, and it fits so well.

6. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    UGGH

Biolizard is TOO SLOW! It's like he doesn't know which direction you're going in, and so most of the time, you get blindsided by the fucking camera!

7. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Picked up the 3DS version a few hours ago. The second half of the game kinda dragged on until Tropical Resort, which I honestly had a good time playing. It's an alright game all around. Not completely awful, but nothing super special.

8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I'd love to see some blind YouTube playthrougs if this is anything like the Rush games where once you see a scene that's just it and it's gone forever.

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

That's only the case for Rush. Rush Adventure and Colours DS let you re-watch, fast forward and skip cutscenes.

10. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Gotta go slow:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzt-DOBTBck

11. corneliab

corneliab

Slow indeed.

Still pretty funny. Is that supposed to happen, though? Looks janky as fuck.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I just tried it and Knuckles continued by at normal speed. What caused him to go slow? And since when could he fly like that?

13. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Modern Radical Highway is a series of farts. I can't hear it as anything else.

14. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    Does anybody have any screenshots of the E3/earlier versions of Sonic Generations 3DS vs what we have now? Can anyone say how it compares to the earlier builds that you may have played earlier?

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I have this one:
    [​IMG]

Sonic's model was improved, the background was filled out some and various other details were improved. They also managed to RUINED FOREVER Classic's shoes :P

16. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    ruined forever?

And DAMN that's a difference. The first one looks like Sonic Jam Sonic, and the second, I dare say, up to Wii standards.

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The soles of his shoes in the left pic are correct, but were for some reason changed to be like Modern's in the right pic. I'm exaggerating how big a deal it is.

18. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    "Ruined forever" refers to the fact that the newer picture has soles on his shoes, whereas classic Sonic, from promotional artwork to his in-game HD model, normally doesn't.

19. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Yep.

But other than that, anyone refusing to pick up the 3DS version because of a few nitpicks is full of it. I picked it up today and had a blast from start to finish. Is Classic Sonic's homing attack unneeded? Probably. I think I used it three times. Does it ruin a perfectly good game? Hell no. The music is fine, and I personally enjoyed all the remixes. The level layouts are hardly linear. The special stages are probably my second favourite in the series after Sonic CD's. My only gripe is that Modern Sonic can't roll. Sliding blows, but it's not that different.

I hope Sonic 4: E2 uses the gameplay Classic Sonic had here. I had a better time playing him here than I did on the HD version of Generations.

Speaking of Sonic 4, I had this crazy theory/idea where Sonic Generations creates (well, it ought to if Sega was smart) a split timeline, as such:

Modern Sonic: Sonic Colours > Sonic Generations > next main game
    Classic Sonic: Sonic 3K > Sonic Generations > Sonic 4 > ?

This would be a really great way to keep pleasing both sides of the fanbase, having Modern Sonic keep going along with the established story and characters, and have Classic Sonic go onto new, simpler, 2D adventures in his own timeline. Thoughts?

20. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Time Eater: Endless Possibility
    Chemical Plant Classic: Toxic Caves

Haven't really tried anything else. Saddened that, outside of editing files on the PC version, I cannot use the 3D Blast theme/credits track as a replacement song. That'd have permanently gone on both Sky Sanctuary stages.