don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread II

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    In the main levels, you don't. It's required for a challenge, and for some alternate paths, but it's always possible to get to the end of the level, and even S-rank, without using this move.

2. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Right, so, finally got enough motivation to play the game some more today (busy and a lack of desire to play games in general), so I decided to go after Time Eater and Can't Touch This.

For the benefit of quick reading, I'll do that whole ">" shit to break it apart. Also courtesy spoilers.

>Change music to "Endless Possibility"
    >Music fits EXTREMELY well to the boss
    >get to the third phase
    >when the lyrics go "You're losing speed, you're losing your flow", the boss slows down time
    >when song speeds back up, so did time
    >get to the final hit and as I'm doing the twin Super Sonic drill, the music is on the final chorus
    >fade to white as the boss is defeated, music going quiet just before it hits the loop point on the guitar "opening/ending"
    >New time of 3:25, Can't Touch This unlocked.

Best part? I ran into a car and was hit with the laser. Never once did get hit by the actual boss' moves or the HOMING SHOT. So take that into account. The music definitely made the boss more bearable for some reason.

3. KeebeeNacho

KeebeeNacho

WORM BAGGED Member
    USA
    I'm drawing something, not that you'll ever see it.
    Honestly, I always thought light-speed dash was an awkward and unnecessary gimmick. I think it should have been ditched after the Sonic Adventure games.

I was hoping that after Sonic Colors they would have made all the gimmick moves into optional upgrades.

4. Eggomaticwaffles

Eggomaticwaffles

Oldbie
    As an aside: with the recent sales figures released for the first week in NA (>100,000 units) and in EU/AU (<50,000), I'm really thinking SEGA, despite their best efforts did not do adequate marketing for this game. Sure, they bought ads during Simpsons repeats and did the Sonic Playground and Sonic Skateboard event, but the traditional rollout was severely lacking here in North America. I saw next to no promotional materials even within places like Gamestop and TRU.

Compare this rollout to any of the marketing blitz's Sega rolled out in the early 90s for S2, S3 and S&K -- OR even for SA in 1999 - and this pales in comparison. 100,000 units in one week is decent, but I can't help but feel this is an easy title that could've sold at least 3 x as much with a little push.

Perhaps it's because the VG landscape is so over saturated now with choice and different styles of gameplay (FPS now being front and center - someting they most definitely weren't in the early 90s) that Sonic has taken a back seat overall. Still, for the legions of Nintendophiles who go out and buy every new Mario and Kirby game, I feel like Sonic Generations was the title that could've changed the game in a major way. And perhaps it still will (Thanksgiving and Christmas shopping are quickly approaching) but I really think Sega, for all the sweat they put into their ONLINE previews/promos with the various gaming sites, haven't put Sonic front and center for the casual/non-gamer who might pick it up for their child. I say this only because I know my own parents - while they didn't ever play the Genesis Sonic games - certainly knew the games and their renown well back when they bought me the classic titles.

Baby steps, I realize... :)

5. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    What's the source for the sales figures?

6. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Is the game really not selling that well? It's a shame, I'd love to see this be successful and for the franchise to pick itself up on more than just a critical basis.

7. Penguin

Penguin

Oh man, I really want to unlock Endless Possibilities now.

8. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Just got Can't Touch This. The run took under half of my first successful attempt at the boss, took me 3:39:97. With plenty of rings. Awesome :)

9. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Is the walljump on the PC version like this for anyone else?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIqjjbnG6GU

10. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    For Time Eater I used modern Sonic the whole time and made sure to just hold onto the boost button and aim for the stomach area until I got there and the game would auto pilot from that point and do damage to it. Rinse and repeat. I died twice but then got the hang of it. It's not as difficult as it seems at first.

11. corneliab

corneliab

Okay, this is the second time that I've seen someone post this number (and on completely separate forums) without following through with a source. Put up or shut up.

12. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Only issues I've heard of are performance issues on Chemical Plant and Online Mode not working for some people.

13. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    VGChartz is reputable, no?
    PS3

14. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    No.

15. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Sonic Generations was pretty high on Steam's top sellers list for a few days after its release. It's moved down quite a bit since, but that's because Skyrim, Modern Warfare 3, and some other titles and sales have been released (for pre-orders, most of them).

16. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I had this creeping suspicion this is where the "sales figures" were coming from, but I didn't have the heart to check. I'm sure sales numbers won't be astronomical due to how jam-packed this time is with media releases, but I find it pretty tough to believe that this game genuinely sold less than 100,000 copies across both consoles.

17. corneliab

corneliab

Did you even bother looking at the links themselves? It's showing over 200,000 for both systems combined, and this is even ignoring PC estimates.

Wherever this 100,000 rumor is coming from, it's not from there. It's also bullshit.

18. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Only if you have other sources to back up their numbers. VG Chartz alone is not a good enough indicator.

PC sales (at least the digital release) are also impossible to guess as Valve never releases numbers.

19. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    To be perfectly honest, no, didn't check those links. I looked at their front page, misread an "America's Top 10" Chart as an "All Top 10" Chart, and assumed from there.

Well, I feel pretty stupid right about now.

20. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I've been hearing about quickstep glitching out too. Other than that it doesn't seem to have any more glitches than the console versions.