don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread II

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I'm almost tempted to cancel my MGS HD preorder for this; I can only really afford one or the other, and having looked a bunch of spoilers this game is seeming even better than it did a month or two ago, as if it actually lived up to the anticipation and then some.

But then I remember that my internship is almost guaranteed to become a proper job in about two months; I think I can wait that long. I mean, I've gone seven years without playing MGS3, so two months should be nothing.

2. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I say get Sonic, Metal Gear can wait. Konami should be focusing on Castlevania anyway.

I love how You're My Hero plays in all of the friend missions. So much nostalgia.

3. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Someone gift me Generations PC... pretty please? :(

Anyway, I'm glad the PC impressions are positive, gives me something to look forward to when I finally get the port.

4. Covarr

Covarr

Except I've wanted to play MGS3 for years (and it just so happens, MGS is my favorite game series). Sonic Generations hasn't had as much time to build itself up in my head.

I'm a bit surprised how well the game seems to be running for people with less than stellar PCs. Based on the recommended specs, I would've assumed the game runs like shit if you don't far exceed the requirements, as is often the case with PC games (FUCK YOU EA), but I've not heard people complaining about performance on rigs that only barely meet the requirements. I can't believe the PC version got such a properly-done port.

edit: Screw it, I'll just bum around on /v/ until I find someone with money burning a hole in their pocket.

5. Tylinos

Tylinos

Well, it looks like there's one place where Super Sonic doesn't completely suck: Planet Wisp. Using Wisps as Super Sonic deactivates his super form, conserving your rings for later use.

EDIT: ...I forgot the spoiler tags. Sorry about that. I honestly didn't realize I missed them.

6. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Beat Story in about 2.5 hours on PC.

Specs:
    Intel Core i7 2600(3.40GHz)
    4GB DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
    1600x900 resolution; anti-aliasing on

Sixty frames per second...I can never play Sonic games at 30fps again. This game has ruined me. It's...so beautiful.

7. Thanks for spoiler tagging that shit...

Anyway, as you can see I beat my previous time by a few milliseconds, it's now 01:46:94.

Now we just wait for people to hack the game so my score is forever lost among the 00:00:00s.

8. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Well this isn't going to be like Sonic 4 wii is it? Does Steam do a better job of keeping track of hacked leaderboards?

9. Tylinos

Tylinos

...Crap. I'm sorry. I didn't even realize I forgot to add spoiler tags to that.

(Assuming you meant my post, since it did kind of have a spoiler.)

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So gentlemen, I once again bring up this question. With these specs, how am I looking?

13 inch Macbook Pro (I'll get windows 7 dual booted in good time, although maybe I could use Wine, idk)
    2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
    4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

On a side note I 100% the 360 version. Oh my what a fun game that was. Now for time trialing and such (I held second for Classic rooftop run at one point earlier today. It may still be up there. Close to first too)

11. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    The game will simply refuse to start with that Intel IGP according to SPUF.

12. Covarr

Covarr

You'd be lucky to run a text adventure with that thing.

But in all seriousness, I strongly doubt it'll be able to handle this game. It struggles with Portal, for crying out loud.

13. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    I fucking love this game, every level is an absolute joy to play and most manage to be better than their original versions. It's fucking great, the amount of quality at every corner is astounding, this has potential to be one of my favorite Sonics ever.

Act 1 of Planet Wisp is ass though, otherwise... great fucking game. It has some sort of Mario Galaxy-esque magic throughout the entire experience, with a shitton of old school Sonic flare, I love it. Story is near non-existent, but I couldn't care less with such tremendous resources going towards making the levels as good as they could possibly be, with the exception of Green Hill and one act of Planet Wisp, every level has surpassed my expectations. I expected more Unleashed-esque levels with loads of boosting and one or two set paths, I was not prepared for the amount of variety and places to go there are in every stage after Chemical Plant Zone.

I dunno, I don't really feel like typing much tonight but... this game is just great.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Portal 2 ran quite well actually, although that was on the Mac side of things. Can't say exactly how it would fare if this were say Windows or something.

But fuck. Any recommendations? It's a laptop, so that makes it harder obviously, but are there any solutions to this predicament... unlikely :( I'll just wait til I get a new computer in 3 or 4 years. Fucking school given macbook pro ><

EDIT: Never mind I can't do shit about my situation. Either I can get a new laptop or get this game for the PC when it's super cheap in like 4 years. Well this sucks just a bit. Least the game is fun. It just looks so pretty from those pictures :( And then there are fucking slow downs and other things that just aren't as fun.

15. Zallirog

Zallirog

Uh, what were we talking about? Member
    So yeah... I'm No.1 on Speed Highway Act 2 right now in the rankings, firinmahlazor is mah name ha ha. See if you can beat 1:48!

16. corneliab

corneliab

1:41:92. 360 representing.

...man, Speed Highway 2 might be my favorite level in the game. They knocked that sucker out of the park.

17. DinnerSonic

DinnerSonic

Never Posting Since 2004! Member
    Perhaps it's just my PC(meets the minimum requirements except for the graphics card, so it runs a little slow) but the shop menu in Sonic Generations seems to act up for me, requiring me to mash the buttons multiple times to move on an option even once. Still, everything else seems to work fine, though I admit it does feel like there's a small bit of input lag, that doesn't seem to explain the shop menu, that isn't simple button lag. It happens with both the keyboard and a joypad. Also, cutscenes lag too at varying rates, I thought those were pre-rendered videos... unless they lag due to having settings set to minimum and a poor HD video resizing... thing. Still, it's playable for me already even before I get a decent graphics card and that's what matters.
    [​IMG]
    This is probably not a good representation of how the 3D would look.
    Also the PC version supports 3D mode, if your computer can even support that, but it stretches vertically for me so that kinda ruins possible attempts at 3DS screenshots or 3D Youtube videos for me.

18. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    The missions would make me think that the devs made the levels very editable. Might be easy to mod some new missions.

19. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    My friend wants to know, can the PC version run windowed?

20. MrPhysics

MrPhysics

Non "oldbie" oldbie Member
    Ogden
    Fractal Art
    I'm going to preface my thoughts on this game with a few facts about me, I played all of the original Sonic games as a young child (im 28 now) when they first came out, as they came out. To this day, the classic sonic's are among my favorite games of all time and I still play them on occasion. I have not played any of the modern 3D sonic games of the last 10 years. After reading the rave reviews for this game, and all the "Sonic is BACK!!" statements, I was excited to get this game and was even willing to give the modern style a go in exchange for getting to play as classic sonic again.

So here we go.

I have to say, after playing through story mode on PC, if Sega makes good on their word, and has no further plans for classic style Sonic games, then this is the last sonic game I will ever buy.

The first third of this game, (green hill, chemical plant and sky sanctuary) were pure gold, even the modern sonic versions were downright awesome and a blast to play. The classic feel was there, the sense of speed was there, and the game was stunningly gorgeous.

After that, the game took a sharp turn downhill for me. If this is an indication of how sonic has been for the last 10 years, then I thank god I haven't played any of those games.

Most of the levels from the last 2/3 of the game just didn't feel like sonic...at all, not the environments, not the enemies, not the music, nothing!!! I have one question as I have not played any of the modern 3d Sonic's from the last 10 or so years, WHAT THE HELL happened to the level environments? I thought Sonic was supposed to have surreal fantasy style environments and cool badniks!!! After the third fucking city level with cars trucks and Gundam's I was about ready to puke, I felt like I was playing "Michael Bay presents Sonic the Hedgehog vs the Transformers". What the fuck Sega? Also, I don't even know what to say about the Perfect Chaos fight, that was by far the most abysmal piece of shit excuse for a boss encounter I have ever played. What is this, I don't even?!? I cant think of one good thing to say about that boss, it was easy, buggy, and felt like it had absolutely nothing to do with sonic.

When I finally got to Planet wisp I was over joyed with how gorgeous the level looked, finally, a colorful fantasy outdoor nature type level...then I got to the inside part of the stage and had to deal with derp spike every 3 fucking seconds, is this really what sonic colors was like?!? God I just wanted that level to end by the time I finished it.

Over all though I have to say this game has been good for what it is, a showcase of Sonic's ups and downs over the last 20 years and deserves the good reviews it has received in that respect.

However, as a stand alone game, its a 6/10 at best.

I'm going to finish this game %100 and get my moneys worth and just cross my fingers and hope that Sega releases more classic levels. If they release remakes of anything from Sonic 1/2/3&k/CD then I will happily buy them. If they release any more modern city levels infested with Gundam's and Transformers then count me out.

/rant
    /back to playing