don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread II

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Oct 28, 2011.

1. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    The game supports custom soundtracks.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    o_0 Wut. It's not even Sterling.

Also, who are these people?

3. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    They are Norwegian people, duh!

4. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    I've gotta say, all this critical praise is making me even more stoked for tomorrow, and pissed that I can't get it until the afternoon if I want to be awake for school. Surprisingly, reviews have said they prefer Modern over Classic, when I was sure it'd be the other way around.

See you tomorrow, Sonic. I eagerly await this romp through the series history.

5. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPuOg6IzxW8[/youtube]

Launch Trailer—Not that we haven't seen everything...

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    SEGA needs to get a better sound editor for their Sonic trailers.

7. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Am I the only one who has to consciously resist the urge to facepalm when I read a comment along the lines of "It didn't get a 9/10? SON I AM DISAPPOINT"?

I mean, the fuck, man? Are we all really that enamoured with the three-point scale that we must now reduce it to a two-point scale?

8. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member

"THE SONIC CYCLE STRIKES AGAIN HUR HUR HUR"

9. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Can't they just be glad the general review score is around 8 instead of 4 or 5? Oh, but no, Uncharted 3 coming out the same day is raising people's expectations of games.

No I'm not pissed that Uncharted 3 is getting more love than Generations, what are you talking about?

10. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Man, I really want to place this game. Now.

[​IMG]

So judging from the Destructoid and GamesRadar reviews, Modern Sonic's gameplay seems to be much more fun than Classic's. Not to say that the honest attempt at Classic style gameplay isn't welcome, but thoughts?

I certainly felt restricted the last time I played the PS3 demo of Classic GHZ at GameStop, but again, button lag and/or old demo build. Just hoping it feels better once I play it on a superior platform.

Especially after it's been modded. :eng101:

11. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Game Informer review. 6.75.
    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/sonic_generations/b/xbox360/archive/2011/10/31/sonic-generations-review-a-suffering-hedgehog-s-life-flashes-before-his-eyes.aspx

It is pretty terribly written, so let me summarize.

"baww new sonic sucks bottomless pits needs more classic levels"

12. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    Oh, Game Informer. You so silly. You gave Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door a 6 because it made you read. :v:

Anyway, ol' Jimmy Sterling gave it an 8? That's a shock.

13. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Oh wow, Game Informer didn't even bother with that review.

14. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Looks more like an editorial than an actual review. The ones you put in your magazine that you sell.

The user review that gave the game a 4 was chuckle-worthy. The game looked bland? Could've fooled me!

15. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Pretty much par for the course for them if the game isn't a nitty-gritty-brown-and-shitty FPS game or sports game. I don't think I need to bring up their slapdash review for Ghost Trick.

16. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    Like I mentioned, I'm pretty sure this has been a well known since their "BAAAWWW, READING IN MY VIDEO GAMES" review of Paper Mario 2 7 years ago.

17. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    [​IMG]
    Never fear, Amy Rose is here...

18. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    So it recently dawned upon me that Crisis City is the only level in Generations I've never played. To that end, my friend (who is also the one letting me play Generations) is re-buying Sonic '06 just so that I can play Crisis City in its original form. I am a lucky bastard.
    More like Norwiigian, amirite

19. Steven M

Steven M

Which version should I buy, PS3 or 360?

20. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    That's not why they gave Paper Mario 2 a low score. That would actually have been a much better argument. The reason they gave paper mario 2 a low score - after a gushing text review I might add - was because they thought it was too kiddy. Seriously, the entire text of the review was glowing, calling it an amazingly fun game that made them laugh, then they gave it a low score with the explanation that they review games based on the way they think their audience expects the game to score, and that since their audience was into adult games, they wouldn't like paper mario 2. They later backed this claim up a few issues later in an editorial where they said that they don't take their own personal enjoyment of a game into consideration, they give scores based on what they think their readers want the game to get. They said that, since most of their readers play gritty games, they wouldn't like a light hearted game like paper mario 2 and scored it low to keep their readers from playing it.

I have both of these issues in question, and I can scan them if people can't believe that. GI really is the worst outlet.

General consensus from the demos is that the 360 version runs a tad bit better in terms of lag and FPS. Personally, I couldn't notice any difference (in either the early demo or the recent one), but lots of people noted it, so it should be considered.

One point of interest, which may sway your decision, is that the PS3 has the undocumented ability to use any HID (read: any non xbox 360) USB controller, meaning you can get one of those sega saturn usb controllers off of ebay and play sonic generations with it. I myself have done this, and the classic version is a blast with it.

I'm getting all the versions, but the 360 version tonight. I have the PC version preordered for friday (which should also let you use the sega saturn controller) and I'm shopping for a PS3 CE version to keep boxed up.