don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miles3298

Miles3298

Surely I'm not the only one that likes the 3DS version's exact copy remakes?

Maybe I am.

2. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    "Plenty" of people have. Anyways, like I've mentioned before, the 3DS version is meant to be different from the console version. As well, remaking the old levels by using the original layout should save them a lot of time and will allow Dimps to focus on the modern stages which obviously has to have a brand new layout. We also don't know if there is extra acts, so at the moment we have to wait. Once again though I have to ask, why are the original layouts such a bad thing? Is it because its considered lazy? Maybe, in a sense but at least it'll give that "true" classic sonic gameplay experience and feeling that "almost everyone" has been asking for. You wanted classic sonic? Now you got him. You wanted classic levels? Well now you got it. You wanted proper physics? Now you got it. You want re-imagined levels? Play the console version.

@Mester Keel98
    I like'em too. Sets the 3DS version apart from the console version.

3. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    You must be seeing a very different version of the 3DS game than me. They may have fixed the uncurling, but that doesn't fix the rest of the problems.

I can't speak for everyone else here, but for me personally, I can definitely say that the reason that I am pre-disposed to dislike the 3DS version is indeed because it looks lazy. Even Mushroom Hill, which is a great improvement over Green Hill, still looks pretty raggedy. It's just an upscaled DS game to my untrained eyes.

There's being understanding, then there's turning a blind eye to obvious problems.

The modern sections, I will admit, do look fun, though not fun enough to justify me purchasing a 3DS as well as this game. I'll be sticking primarily with the console version. If I do end up getting a 3DS in the future, I'd pick this one up if I found it in a bargain bin.

4. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    Its not only uncurling, look at the momentum when the player properly goes through a loop and goes backwards from not enough speed. As well, none of the sections were scripted. Even the console version (judging from the demo) didn't properly do this right and the rolling physics seem pretty fine to me. Not saying its perfect but more accurate then the console version and it really shows.'

EDIT: Honestly, now that I looked at it again, I think the only thing I see wrong in the latest video is the extra boost in speed Sonic gets from the poles in Mushroom Hill. Otherwise, I don't see anything else that can be considered catastrophic. Other then that, physics seem fine to me.

2nd EDIT: No one can speak of the modern stages yet, since there isn't any new videos. The modern gameplay was incredibly broken in the E3 videos.

5. Demi

Demi

Oldbie
    3DS version looks pretty good to me, I may have to actualy pick up both versions!

6. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I will also. I hope they do something to make Green Hill to look better though.

7. I'll be picking up the console & 3DS version of this as well. At first glance, I felt like a lot of others and wanted more visuals to "spruce up" (what we saw) of Green Hill Zone for the 3DS. But honestly, I'm not sure if that's a great idea with it being 3D and all. I mean, yes, I imagine its more than possible to make it full of lush visuals but 3D already puts some strain on the users eyes. Having a lot of stuff on the screen would probably make the strain worse. Personally, I'd rather have less 3D and more things on screen. Especially since I probably won't be playing in full 3D all of the time regardless if there's a lot on screen or not.

8. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    Regarding the whole 3DS version debate, I'll say this: I'm not interested in playing the exact same level but raped with shitty physics. I have Sonic 1-3&K right here, and if I wanted to play any of the levels the 3DS version offers, I could play them by themselves in a much better game.

So here's what we know about the game:
    - Nothing new to the stage in terms of visuals. They just took a 2D plane and extended it, whereas the HD version takes all the levels and pumps them up on steroids, making them look absolutely beautiful.
    - Classic levels (let's assume 1/6 of the game) offer nothing new in terms of gameplay. Same great level, but far less fun because the game engine is shit.
    - Modern level design is completely barren.
    - The game looks buggy as all hell only three months away from release. The HD version gets occasional bugs and glitches that need to be ironed out, while the 3DS version has entire walls flickering in and out of existence. ... What the fuck?

As opposed to the HD version:
    - All levels completely reimagined and stay true to the originals while offering something completely new at the same time.
    - Classic levels have completely new layouts that would feel right at home in a classic game.
    - Modern level design improves on what we were given in both Unleashed and Colors.
    - The game has a few bugs, but all are minor enough stuff to be ironed out over the course of three months. The game also has a very stable framerate, even in the alpha build.

The difference in price will likely only be $10, and I know where my money is going.

9. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    If the game is 60 bucks at launch I'm waiting for a price drop. I like Sonic but not that much, 40 maybe somewhere near or around 50 sounds more reasonable.

10. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    I'll most likely end up getting used, if I do at all. :v: I still require convincing at this point.

Though I will say I don't think the physics look as terrible as some people say, from what I've seen. I'd like to see more footage before I make a judgement call on it.

11. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    Don't Sonic games usually retail at $50 at launch?

12. serpx

serpx

I think Sonic games on Wii retail $50, and 360/PS3 $60. I'm probably wrong though, since I rarely buy games. Eitherway, unless I really want the game new, I generally just buy them used. As long as the game works, why spend the extra cash? To support SEGA? I'm pretty sure SEGA gets their cash when the retailers buy the games to have them in stock, unless I'm wrong on that as well.

edit: Yeah, I'm wrong. According to Gamestop, Generations is retailing for $50.

13. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Just got back from Gamescom. I played all versions of Sonic Generations.

- While I didn't try too much out, Classic Sonic in the 3DS version played better than Sonic in Sonic 4 Episode 1. Like you don't stop immediatly when you stop holding right or left or you don't slow down while rolling. (or at least it seemed like it.)
    - PS3 version is still inferior and has a little (though annoying) button lag. Xbox 360 version works fine.
    - Omochao appeared in Green Hill Zone and the loading screens.
    - The title screen has changed completely. Now it's more like the classic games, with Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic standing in the logo and waggling their finger.
    - Classic City Escape: Love the level. When the truck destroys the environment, you can take alternate paths.
    - Modern City Escape: I liked it, but not as much as Classic City Escape. Mostly because of the Truck sequence. Sure, a giant truck with big sawblades chasing you is fucking awesome. But holding the boost button and sometimes using the quick-step isn't. The stage is fine for the rest though.
    - Classic Mushroom Hill 3DS: While I haven't played Sonic & Knuckles for a while, the level design seemed the same with the only difference being 3D graphics.
    - Modern Mushroom Hill 3DS: It's Sonic Rush. Sonic Rush is a game I enjoy more when replaying the stages so I can find the alternate paths (which this stage seemed to have plenty). If you like Sonic Rush, you'll like Modern Sonic in this game.

EDIT: fixed a couple of inaccuracies.

14. serpx

serpx

Would LOVE to see a pic or video of that. I'm glad SEGA took that route, that is what I call fan service! Do you plan on going back anytime soon? Or anyone? Would love to hear more thoughts on the 3DS version.

15. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Can Omochao be hit by a spin dash or something so that Classic Sonic can abuse it too? :v:

or did it appear in just Moderns GHZ?

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I didn't play Green Hill myself (only played City Escape and Mushroom Hill), but I saw him appearing when watching other people play. I didn't really pay attention to people playing Classic Green Hill because I played the level already enough myself.

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

From Sonic Scene:
    [​IMG]

Also, Modern City Escape:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWa6JSflm1o[/youtube]

18. The idea that everything in the game gets reused from past titles is being used well.

19. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Oh, and I forgot to mention: There was a gigantic Sonic balloon.

20. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Cool stuff, City Escape is definitely the best-looking level so far when it comes to how much horizontal space you have to explore. Can't wait! The only thing I'm less than ecstatic for is at 2:59. M.Sonic's homing attack range is still way too long; that enemy was nearly off-screen.

@TimmiT: How close would you put the 3DS version's physics to Sonic Advance?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.