don't click here

Original Sonic 1 proto lost, meant for inclusion in SMC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MathUser, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    Not the first time Sega has allowed a prototype to be officially released. Remember - Sega owns Gunstar Heroes despite treasure developing it, and they OK'd the GSH prototype in the treasure box set.

Although that's incredible that we finally have confirmation that those AREN'T mock ups.

2. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    This makes me hope they release Sonic Adventure 1/2 development builds as some sort of a collection. I would pay tons of moneys for it. Do you hear me SEGA? Tons of moneys. More moneys than any sane human should spend on software.

3. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    Even if someone did come out and release the ROM, wouldn't they get in all kinds of shit for stealing the thing in the first place? Also, it's pretty crazy that only one copy of the build would exist, don't you think?

4. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Holy grail of Sonic betas, glad to hear it actually exists... or existed. Imagine being the lucky bastard to find it!

5. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    Sega knows about Simon Wai. Nothing ever happened to him.

6. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    But he wasn't the one who stole it, was he? He only found it. The guy who stole the S1 Beta would get in all kinds of shit for stealing it, if he gave it to someone else and that someone dumped it and released it then there would be no problems for that someone.

7. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    Somebody turn on the drx signal.

Godspeed, friend, godspeed...

8. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Does this pose exist in any official artwork? I want to try my hand at recreating the Sonic sprite shown in this image.

Edit: Never mind, found it. [​IMG]

9. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Hey nice looks like the sonic cd chibi sonic from the menus, rather cool, sure I have seen that shaped sonic around before too.

Notice no white stripe on the shoes.

10. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    It does look like it's modeled after the "Continue" Sonic icon, or the Chibi Sonic from SCD. I'd also like to get my hands on such a stuffed Sonic.

Edit:Ebay, similar plush.

[​IMG]

In fact, looking at it... I think it's the very one.

11. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    Omg this is very interesting stuff. Sonic 1 and Sonic CD hold the most mysterious secrets about their earlier builds. Glad to know the Sonic 1 early build actually existed at one point in time and might still even now. I hope one day we do find it and its released so we can actually see it in better quality and the 7 layers scrolling in action. I can finally make out what that Welcome sign says. It looks like it says "Welcome" and underneath welcome is "Sega Sonic" or "Sega Sonic the Hedgehog." I still can't make out what it says above the welcome part though. Now I'm all excited about possibly finding this early build, now all we need is to find a early CD build too with R2.

The different plot to Sonic 1 actually makes sense when looking at his early concept art. All the enemies are monster looking creatures like nightmares and then you got the big scary scientist guy in the background with red eyes who I think was the original main villain instead of Bee Eggman. Really interesting change to the plot of Sonic and his world in the end result. I think its awesome they were planning to put a beta version of Sonic 1 on Mega Collection its a damn shame they couldn't find the game. It'd be awesome if Sega released Sonic CD, 2 and 3 beta's as well in compilations. I also hate hoarders and want to choke them, especially if they are hoarding a Sonic CD prototype I will HUNT YOU DOWN YOU HEAR ME?

Stupid hoarders just letting it collect dust in their smelly garage while they bury themselves in more crap to the point of barely being able to walk around. I love it when we get new legitimate information about the earlier builds of the Classics and even the Modern games but what sucks is being let down when you don't get to find the actual build or see more pictures or physical videos of it in motion or something. I hope we find something but its surprising to hear even Sega cannot find this build and want it. Too bad nobody recorded the gameplay on a camera at this toy store.

EDIT: After zooming in and studying that image with the welcome sign closely...it looks like the words above welcome read "Way Bad." There's no way to make out the small words beneath it and the arrow pointing down though.

12. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Not exactly on topic, but I just realized the same buildings and mountains in the GHZ alpha/beta/demo are in the Sonic 1 concept art with Bee Eggman, Madonna, evil pale guy and all that stuff. Mind = blown.

That also sort of adds to the idea that those crazy creatures in that same peice of artwork had to do with the vague storyline in which they mentioned "protecting your land from evil creatures" and stuff.

13. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    If the proto is still out there in someone's hands, it's probably a Japanese person that will never even see this interview, and possibly can't even read English for that matter. This sadly changes nothing, no treasure hunt to speak of.

14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    On the other hand this might open interesting scenarios.
    Drx finds a Sonic 1 beta, we collect funds to buy it, Yuji Naka finds out about it and he contributes to the donations. He get the cart back, we dump the ROM. Everybody wins.

15. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Sounds fair. he wanted to release it officially anyways he wouldn't care if it got dumped first then sent back to him with our thanks.

And you can count on me being a donator if and when the holy grail of sonic betas comes forth. my ass I'm going to let ASSEMBLER games get their hands on it.

16. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    I thought it said "You Win".

17. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Yuji Naka, contribute to donations? Everyone's putting more on this interview than there is. I seriously doubt this thing is going to bring a proto anymore closer to being found, and if I were Yuji Naka and wanted a proto and knew of someone that had it, I doubt I'd be lending money for it. it'd be my creation and not even the rightful property of any collector, give me my property back! :v:

And considering Assembler recently got and has a working Geist Force prototype ready to share with the world eventually, I'm not so sure what's so wrong about them. heck, they even got Sonic Xtreme. I swear this one interview is making everyone more arrogant than it's worth it :x

18. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    Lol maybe it does say that, it didn't look like it to me though....its to blury its really hard to tell.

19. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I can't believe they were just going to include it in SMC like that! >_<

Though, this really doesn't change anything or bring us any closer to finding the beta.

20. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    Needlemouse, Sonic Boom, Graphic Design
    It would've been so cool to see a proto Sonic 1. I think that is the clearest I've ever seen that green hill picture. So much so that I can make out the bush and the rock much better than before.

I'm almost convinced that the second word (that is, assuming there are two words) is "ONE", or at the very least it ends with an 'E'.

Though this could just be an ink blob situation and I'm making something out of nothing. :v: