don't click here

Original Sonic 1 proto lost, meant for inclusion in SMC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MathUser, Jun 27, 2011.

1. browny

browny

It exists..I remember reading this years ago, don't know if the guy ever got back to drx(hello from reddit downtime irc chat..with your almost similar site:P)

-link removed-

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    In case it somehow helps in decyphering the sign, and before people gets blind or crazy, here's the original pic with some variations with less moire effect:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT: I also need to note that the word underneath has space for 9 equally-wide letters. I don't thing it's GREENHILL, though.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    That would be a later prototype (still interesting!). The one shown at Toyko Toy Show 1990 is literally nothing more than a playable tech demo. The one you're referring to was sent to all sorts of magazines back in the day for previewing, and there may be tons of copies out there. A "50%" build compared to a "5%" build, or something.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'd remove that link, or else there will be no way anybody's ever seeing it. You know, not only forum members can read this forum, but the whole internet.

But, in any case:
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=10-May-2007, 09:44 AM :name=Damo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Damo @ 10-May-2007, 09:44 AM )</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh, and please DO NOT send Tom PM's about these bloody preview carts. This goes for everyone, including drx. Tom has stated that he isn't interested and if he gets a flood of demanding PM'd he's likely to go into hiding again.[/QUOTE]

5. browny

browny

I know..I've been lurking for years(back when mr wai used to post himself before letting it go and then taking it back and letting it go again)

6. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
    I remember to someone here long time ago found the sprites of that sign in 8-bit Sonic 1 and was write "Welcome Sonic". But I don't remember the topic's name and who found it =/ Isn't on the wiki also.

7. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    I'm telling you the white words really look like Sega Sonic to me. I have a strong feeling that's what it says and that I have a very optimistic feeling about.

8. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Now that we know that the Green Hill pictures were from a genuine demo, it makes me wonder if this was playable aswell.

[​IMG]

I would so love to play this version of marble Zone and I consider this version more interesting than the final version.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Looks to me like there's a bit too many different tiles for the lava for that not to be a mockup.

10. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    Yeah the lava looks better than the final's, looks more like a marble labyrinth and the platforms are really cool. It looks like they might have moved back and forth while Sonic jumped across them, plus UFO's who could possibly hate those? The final is bland compared to all the Beta screen shots showing extra spike traps, more unique gimmicks and features and nicer looking lava. If Yuji Naka said that the Green Hill Zone was playable and not a mock up I wouldn't be surprised this was actual photos from real gameplay as well.

11. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    You're going by the assumption they scrolled like in the final version. If they didn't then they may have afforded for more tiles.

Still, I call it mock-up. It looks completely wrong from a game mechanics viewpoint. No HUD, Sonic isn't centered, etc.

12. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    The same can be applied to those Green Hill Zone pictures.

13. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    It might just be me, but it looks like it starts with "SE".

Maybe "SEGA SONIC"? It's really impossible to tell for sure what it says.

14. Shade

Shade

Haha, what a kick in the pants. It was gonna be on Mega Collection, just like that.

Someone's gotta track this bad boy down. drx can do it!

15. Tanks

Tanks

Yeah. It wasn't gonna be in SMC. Unless that was something they were thinking about VERY early on. We have a mid development demo, video of an early build, and PACHUKA to attest to this. From what it sounded like though, they put a TON of effort into finding it, which would have likely meant it was going to be in there, but there's simply no evidence of it. Sorry Naka. I call bullshit. :/

16. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Well, they probably didn't bother noting it anymore midway into development since they accepted that they probably couldn't find the rom anymore, and a video of an early build doesn't prove anything since again, they couldn't find it, so what would you expect to see anyway?

17. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    You call bullshit because there's no evidence of something in the development builds that you guys got ahold of? Because...talk about what things to include in a compilation has to have been done mid-development?

Hah, ok.

18. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Indeed. Don't you have to make a plan of what content that's to be included in a game before you actually make it? Having to add more content later on would cause inconvenience in development time, resources, and disc space saving (yes, even if it's a megabyte or two).

How old exactly is this development build of SMC that's being discussed, anyway?

19. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    What if they didn't put the menu entries in the code because they were unable to get ahold the file? Maybe they were waiting to find it to add its data into the program =P

20. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    I tried to the best of my ability to draw a recreation, enhanced and readable version of the Green Hill Zone sign.

[​IMG]

I studied the image to the best of my ability. This might be how it looked in game except mine is more crappy and plain looking but at least its better than nothing lol.