don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vantoggle

Vantoggle

There could be some thoughtful, elaborate meaning behind it all, but I'm just not convinced watching this teaser out of context. The only word that comes to mind watching it is incomplete. From a storyboard perspective, they could have done hundreds of other things to hint at an idea of customization, a breaking of the fourth wall, or give the feeling that they are in some sort of Willy Wonka white room like a truck-load of other Wii title trailers. None of these ideas are visible, so I'm left to believe that the animators just ran out of time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Eh...sorry, don't buy it.

2. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Guys, don't you see? We're supposed to color in the rest of the environment with our
    [​IMG]

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    It's funny to see people dogpile someone who has a different opinion at the very first opportunity. Keeping it classy indeed.

Personally, I think the model looks pretty wonky as well. In fact, it wasn't until I saw this trailer that I finally understood the full grasp of why Sonic was redesigned for 3D—he just... doesn't fit. At first I thought it was just because I'm used to the modern Sonic being used everywhere, but when I realized the changes were made for the overall aesthetic appeal of the character in the context of a 3D environment. It's like the changes they make to cartoon characters when adapting 3D models for them so they don't look totally wonky. There's just certain elements in cartoons (forced perspective, for example—why are Sonic's spikes always at the side?) that don't carry over or even represent the original design when you have a camera look at them from a strictly realistic perspective.

The longer spikes, the way he runs, the extra color contrast in the eyes—all of them contribute towards a more lively and aesthetically appealing 3D model. That doesn't excuse the way Uekawa draws his art, of course, but in terms of the models, I think there have been some solid improvements that I don't disagree with. I know everybody is super happy and nostalgia tripping and all that and I personally like the classic design better on principle, but the modern change—one that, mind you, has been around longer than the original design now—has perfectly valid reasons for existing.

If nothing else, someone preferring the modern design over the classic design does not warrant a page and a half of violent retaliation. You're only making yourselves look bad, not him.

4. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Except for the fact that all the white bits are still textured and have normals and details. Making it coloured would have taken absolutely no time at all.

Edit: My post was for Vantoggle.

5. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I dunno, I think the washed out/grey environments probably does have something to do with the game's plot. Classic Sonic wouldn't be coming back for nothing, right now I think something (Robotnik or Robotniks) are threatening Sonic's past and present, which is why both Sonics are teaming up.

It could be another Good/Bad Future deal thing like in CD.

6. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    White scenery in the trailer reminds me of the ink splashes in early SFIV trailers. It's probably some minor stylistic thing that has no real bearing on the game, except to look swish.

7. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    I'm going to have to disagree with everyone on the wonky classic model comments - After thorough observation I can only conclude that they really did their homework on that model. Every detail is reminiscent of the sonic R model, except for maybe the length of his legs:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The volume the head takes up, the shape of the spikes, the ears and eyebrows are all almost a perfect match.

I think what's getting everyone's attention right off the bat is the sheer number of differences between the modern and classic sonics. Everyone is used to seeing sonic in 3d a certain way.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I totally agree with the people saying how the modern Sonic model looks better in 3D. It's strange seeing classic Sonic in 3D since he never really has been, save for Sonic R and Sonic Jam, but those models were so low grade that it could slide. Besides modern Sonic's kinda odd smirks at time, overall it's pleasing to the eye.

However that's not to say I don't like seeing classic Sonic in 3D. I absolutely love it, and besides maybe a bit too much eyebrow, this is possibly the best 3D classic model I've ever seen. I don't expect to see classic Sonic replace modern Sonic in the future, in fact I doubt Sega will ever do something like this again, but I'll just enjoy it for now and smile at the wonderful thought that for the first time in 12 years I get to see the same ol' blue hedgehog I grew up with.

9. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Sorry if this has been asked of answered before. But what is that scar that the classic Sonic has inbetween his eyes (almost above his nose)?

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    No, not really. Actually, one thing that throws me off that I see that Sonic R model sorted out is the width of the eyes and brow—in this model, they seem way too constricted, whilst modern Sonic and the Sonic R model have it at a more reasonable length (roughly where the outermost edge of the ear lays). I think a change even as simple as that—one the modern Sonic model has—would make Sonic look far less awkward from the front and side. It's hard to replicate the drawn nuances of stuff like eye placement in a model, so making it wider can help compensate for the lack of flexibility when viewing the character from certain angles.

It'd be easier to make a proper comparison had there been a proper high-poly Sonic model back in the day, though. I'm not saying the model is bad, per se, but it doesn't really look right to me. Too many little things are off.

11. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    You're right. It's not like Frozen Nitrogen ever asks for a fight or anything. :P

In any case, I at least wasn't jabbing him for not liking the model. I was just jabbing at him because he delights to jab other people. If he doesn't like the model, that's fine. I just mind what he had to say about it.

I've always wanted a more cartoony, lovable 3D Sonic model that animates like a bouncy cartoon. This new classic 3D model looks like a step in that direction, so I'm optimistic about it's sudden inclusion. The forced perspective in 2D shouldn't constrain a creative reinterpretation a 2D character's look in 3D. Again, the only jarring thing I find about the character right now is at most the bulgy eye ridges and an unfamiliar 3D coloration of what was once an image constrained to this look and palette:

[​IMG]

If you want me to be a stickler about the difference in look, yeah. This new classic model looks more like the American Sonic boxart and less like the more familiar, serious-looking Japanese style that's more closely reflected in the old games. Maybe the model would have looked cooler if he expressed more of that serious "bad attitude" Sonic with the smaller nose, longer arms, smaller head, and bigger eyes. But do we really want to start proposing to change how he looks and shove it in SEGA's face again? At this early stage? I dunno.

Even with all of this, I agree that the modern 3D model looks great. It's been looking real good ever since Unleashed, and I don't really have much of a problem with it. But this new 3D classic Sonic is, well, somewhat new and exciting, given the stink that's been raised over it in Sonic 4. And I'm interested in seeing how he works in the final game.

EDIT: Looking back at the old artwork and the video, you guys might be on to something with the whole forced-perspective vs. 3D look.

12. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    AND IT BEGINS
    [​IMG]

I don't particularly have a problem with the model. I think I was just bored and that was the one thing about it I deemed even slightly questionable. That and I missed out on the Photoshoppage last year.

13. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

[​IMG]
    Excuse my shitty Photoshop skills.
    This would make him look like the Sonic R model. The real one in the trailer looks nothing like it...

14. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    I think it all is a matter of opinion. I like modern Sonic more actually, but I also think SEGA did a good job at paying attention to detail with classic and it pays off. He moves his arms like how he picks up running in Sonic 3, the proportions are right, the way he moves his legs is similar to how he does it in Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic R, and generally you can tell they did a lot of homework to make sure that what classic Sonic did in 2D and transition it faithfully to 3D. The counter to this though is that classic Sonic now looks a lot more cartoony in 3D. The thing I immediately noticed in the trailer is that modern Sonic was being presented as sleek, cool, athletic while classic Sonic is much more cartoony, bouncy, animated, and full of energy.

I think it's more preference than a downright fact, and I do think both sides of the fence should be respected. SEGA is giving us both, so why do we have to all favor one?

However, in the end these are CG models. While SEGA has gotten excellent at making the in-game models look great (Sonic Colors had a great model in my opinion as did Unleashed), we still have not seen the in-game models.

15. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    [​IMG]
    *hit*

It'll certainly be interesting what this actually means, considering it's just a teaser. Will both be playable? Will it be by choice or some weird effect/time travel/plot device?

16. This makes me like the brow MORE.

It gives him that snarky attitude look he had in the early 90's.

I understand why people don't like it on the classic art, but I think it fits this 3D model alot better.

17. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    Oh, I meant to refer to the lack of a background. Eh, whatever.

18. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Just keep it how it is in the teaser. He looks fine. I love modern Sonic too, and his look, but I DON'T GIVE A FUCK.

19. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    On the whole "seeing spines from the side": Sonic 3 has a sprite where you see him from the front. He doesn't look much different from modern Sonic when it comes to the spines. Maybe you're all being too pedantic. Also I still think modern Sonic's expression looks retarded =|

That said, am I the only one who sees both models side by side and only can recognize the classic one as Sonic? Seriously, despite all these years the modern shape still doesn't feel like Sonic to me.

20. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    Alright, so with a day of reflect and watching opinions, as a sort of evaluation I want to say what we can conclude at this time:

-Both modern & classic Sonic appear in this title
    -Green Hill Zone appears in this title
    -The gameplay likely takes after Sonic Colors/Unleashed at least in spirit (modern Sonic demonstrated most of the moves and animation he had in those titles)
    -The title is for the Playstation 3 & Xbox 360
    -The fading out of Green Hill might suggest something (unknown what)
    -The game comes out 2011
    -The game is one of three titles for Sonic's 20th Anniversary

The rest right now is all speculation. -3- I know it's a, "No duh, Sherlock!" but sometimes separating fact from speculation can home in on what the title is supposed to be.

We also are fairly certain this is the earlier rumored Sonic Anniversary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.