The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. E102

E102

"γ" Member
    So I was running through SegaRetro's song credits and found these for Sonic Adventure 2:

Fumie Kumatani:
    * Hero Race — Music & Arrangement, Programming
    * Chao Lobby — Music & Arrangement, Programming
    * Hero Garden — Music & Arrangement, Programming
    * Chao Kindergarten — Music & Arrangement, Programming

Kenichi Tokoi:
    * Dark Race — Music & Arrangement, Programming
    * Jewel Race — Music & Arrangement, Programming
    * Dark Garden — Music & Arrangement, Programming

Tomoya Ohtani:
    * Challenge Race — Music & Arrangement, Programming
    * Chao Race Entrance — Music & Arrangement, Programming
    * Chao Garden — Music & Arrangement, Programming

Can someone verify if these are correct?

2. <a href="http://kotaku.com/#!5767944/mario-vs-sonic-no-its-mario-as-sonic" target="_blank">http://kotaku.com/#!5767944/mario-vs-s...-mario-as-sonic</a>

I loled.

3. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    I can t find a fucking thing with their new stupid goddamn layout, that just links me to ads and bullshit.

I don't care about whatever goddamn shit they've got, I just wanna see a fucking article.

4. dsrb

dsrb

That link just takes me to the (UK) home page, not an article.

5. Fuzedknight

Fuzedknight

Epic Gnome Time! Member
    For those of you who can't see it here you are.
    [​IMG]

I also agree that the Kotaku website is rediculous when it comes to following links.

Edit: Heres a link for the first comment on that article, it's pretty funny and awesome.

6. It's good to know that this is the "Random Shit on Kotaku Thread," and not "The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge!"
    Oh wait...

Somari was old news back when -I- joined the community... OVER A DECADE AGO!
    What's next, an All Your Base video? Arfenhouse? The Demented Cartoon Movie?

7. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    This really fits the topic well; it has no home and in no way could deserve it's own topic.

6:38

Does anybody have any idea where the "regular" case sized boxarts for SA and SA2 come from? They're obviously fanmade, but if anyone has any idea where to find them I'd love to have it to print out sometime. I'm organizing my collection of Sonic games and while I have no issues with the DC cases, it'd be nice to have an appealing option to display them in a non-awkward fashion among recent games.

8. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    Here you go, Mykonos! There's several different designs from each game to choose from. Here's Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Adventure.

Can anyone help me get this old Sonic flash game out of the internet and onto my hard drive? It's from 1997, and it's the only working version I could find. I'd hate to lose it if the web archive it's on went down.

9. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
  10. Opening that page asks me if I want to open or save the file. I tried saving it, but I have no idea what to do with a .dcr file and Google is of little help.

11. Dan Genesis

Dan Genesis

As it was predicted. Plus, this is like some cute Member
    Top Secret. Bitch.
    KuroKomix LPs and Blog.
    Shockwave Player attempted to do something with it, but all I got was a white screen.

12. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    From Samba de Amigo's soundtrack:

Masaru setsumaru - Hey! we're the sonicteam

This is a 5 seconds drum loop with a guy pronouncing the English words "Hey! we're the sonicteam". This jsut gives me a feeling Setsumaru is not an English speaker. Why can't we have some solid Japanese speakers here helping us to contact key Sega people? Is there any Japanese Sonic fans at all that are interested in Sonic development?

The only guy I have talked to that knew English well enough to understand me was Senoue. And I know people from here has talked to him in person at some convention. But he is too damn good at keeping Sonic 3 a secret. But how long will things stay like this? How long must Sonic 3 be a secret? Why is it a secret? Will we hurt someones feelings by bringing up Sonic 3? Did people actually die?

Okay, sometimes Sonic 3 gets more credits than it deserves.

I would like to ask people to not to assume things in this thread (or at the wiki), such as music composers real names, dual personalities. It spreads like plague over the internet, and it gets even harder to find the truth in the end. Eventually, 90 year old composers that worked within Sega will tell you your own make believe because they forgot, and checked the info over the internet. There are still rumors floating around from the early 2000, that are kinda hard to kill.
    You basically have to locate the guys, and ask about their own involvement, and their real names. The first mistake I did when I contacted people back in the day was that I tried to ask them about everyone else's involvement, and that's not what you as a music composer want to talk about. I made more mistakes by getting pissed off that they never answered me. I was young back then, and I thought it was the very last time to get the truth.
    But that was wrong. There is never too late to get the truth, when it comes to Sonic. It just gets harder with the time. Not impossible.

It is nice to see E102 bringing up alot of new data though! That data can at least be used to knock out some of my own guessing :)

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    It's probably just me, and sorry if it's already been brought up, but this is bugging me for a while and since this is for stuff with simply no home...

At 2:20, does Sir Lancelot sneeze? Bit of a random occurance, but he's the only one to move like that, so it's probably not him shielding his eyes, since the others would do the same.

14. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

No, unfortunately he's just avoiding an arrow (or what looks like it).

[​IMG]

Blaze jumps over one too.

[​IMG]

Easier to stop if you pause at ther right times (or see it in a proper resolution).

15. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Not sure where else to put this, but, here goes.

Sometime after I got this PC with 3D-enhancement-enabled speakers and Soundchip, I listened to the Instrumental of E.G.G.M.A.N (SA2 Version) and there's some samples at the very beginning that sound DAMNED familiar for some reason -- like some very raspy synthesizer-voice that's been put through 205 filters or so. And I just can't put my finger on where I have heard that before. Anyone else capable of figuring that out or pointin' me there*? :v

*of course there is, this is Retro. :B

16. E102

E102

"γ" Member
    I'm not seeing much opposition to either of these.

Anyway, here's some more for Nagao.
    http://www36.atwiki.jp/gmcomposer/pages/35.html

長尾優進(ながお まさゆき) Masayuki Nagao
    Nagao N.Gee、M.Nagao、N.Gee
    MD ああ播磨灘 [Ah Harimanada]
    MD ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ2 [Sonic the Hedgehog 2]
    MD ソニック&ナックルズ [Sonic & Knuckles]
    MD ザ・スーパー忍Ⅱ(オープニング) [The Super Shinobi II / Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master (Opening)]
    MD JuJu伝説 [JuJu Densetsu / Toki]
    MD バトルゴルファー唯(エンディング) [Battle Golfer Yui (Ending)]
    MCD ジュラシックパーク [Jurassic Park]
    GG ソニック&テイルス [Sonic & Tails / Sonic Chaos]
    GG ソニック ドリフト [Sonic Drift]

http://www36.atwiki.jp/gmcomposer/pages/40.html

幡谷尚史(はたや なおふみ) Naofumi Hataya
    NAO CHAN、hata-bow
    AC SDI(SE)MD ゴールデンアックスⅡ,Ⅲ [Golden Axe II, III]
    MD 超球界ミラクルナイン [Ultra Basketball Miracle Nine]
    MD 日刊スポーツプロ野球VAN [Nikkan Sports Pro Yakyuu VAN]
    MD ハイブリッドフロント [The Hybrid Front]
    MCD クイズスクランブルスペシャル [Quiz Scramble Special]
    MCD ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグCD [Sonic CD]
    32X バーチャレーシングDX [Virtua Racing Deluxe]
    SS NiGHTS[ナイツ] [NiGHTS into dreams...]
    SS クリスマスナイツ [Christmas NiGHTS]
    SS バーニングレンジャー [Burning Rangers]
    DC スペースチャンネル5 [Space Channel 5]
    DC/PS2 スペースチャンネル5 PART2 [Space Channel 5 Part 2]
    PS2 スーパーギャルデリックアワー [Super Galdelic Hour]
    XB ブリンクス・ザ・タイムスイーパー [Blinx the Time Sweeper]
    NDS きみのためなら死ねる(サウンドディレクター) [Feel the Magic: XY/XX (Sound Director)]

This information comes from a highly praised (but now somewhat outdated) source of VGM information, especially when it comes to Japanese-only releases.

Just how many of the ones credited to Nagao did Hataya work on?

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/v...eloperId,59899/ - Hataya
    http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/v...eloperId,68089/ - Nagao

17. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    As I've said before:

Milpo: Yoshiaki Kashima wrote the sound driver for SONIC SERIES (Sonic 3 and 3D Blast) with Masaru Setsumaru, this is fact because the Sonic 3D Blast rom states this word for word (open the rom up in a hex workshop and find the string, bingo). The credits however, don't list the name Yoshiaki Kashima in either Sonic 3 and 3D Blast. However it's understandable that they didn't list Yoshiaki Kashima for sound programming in 3D Blast because they only mentioned the people who did the Music and Sound in the credits. So because Kashima's name does not appear for any song ID (which is also in the rom), his name was not mentioned in the credits. However if we were to assume that Milpo was indeed Kashima, the theory would work because Milpo is specifically credited along side Masaru in the Sonic 3 credits. What supports the theory of the connection between how they're grouped in the Sonic 3 credits is how they were grouped along side each other in the Sonic 3D Blast rom. Which by the way is this:

Sound Driver for Sonic Series Coded by Y.Kashima & M.Sets. Sun Sep 1 1996 17:02

(fyi Milpo's name comes before M.Sets on the Sonic 3 credits list as well)

Also, look at Milpo's line up of games that he worked on according to his website. The alias Milpo ceased to exist after or around the time of Sonic 3 (note that the name Kashima is used in Phantasy Star IV, worked on around the time of Sonic 3). But "Milpo" continued to work at Sega until maybe 2002. For the later games that Milpo states that he worked on, why did he stop using his alias? Well, the whole point of the argument is that he started using his real name. Now what is his real name? That's the whole point of the arguement. And the best way to solve it is to analyze every single game that Milpo states that he worked on from his works page. There are two common names that appear in the credits list based on the works page, and that is Kashima and Yukifumi Makino.

But here's the problem with saying that Milpo = Makino. Makino is still employed at Sega (presumably), Milpo however was confirmed by Jun Senoue in an e-mail with LOst that he left Sega prior to his e-mail in 2002. Also, Makino was never credited for Phantasy Star 4, only Kashima was.

Here's another thing to test if you want, but it requires work that I can't do because I didn't come from the moon. Right after Milpo left Sega, he was working on sound (programming?) for the game ワンピース~ナナツ島の大秘宝~ for the GBA (this is some One Piece GBA game by Banpresto in 2002). I can't find the credits list for this game, but if you ever find it, find the name Kashima. If the name's there, you will have your answer. Since this game wasn't developed by Sega, Milpo should be the only odd ball sound guy from Sega to be working on the game. So if you see Kashima, he should be Milpo.

Another thing I noticed with Kashima/Milpo, is that even though the name Kashima appears in games that Milpo doesn't specifically list - the credits that Kashima has for those games are generally for sound programming or design. This might mean that the driver that Milpo wrote was used in more than one project at Sega without his involvement. The credits for Milpo's works page might indicate whenever he has contributed sound or music for games. Again, that's if Milpo = Kashima. Which really guys, I think it's a VERY safe bet.

Now onto Nagao:

Nagao - I don't feel up to arguing about this because what's been presented so far over at VGMDB is all that there is to piece with. But really, Nagao's name is a real Japanese person's name (it can be written in Kanji, etc). Most people wouldn't go that far for an alias (it beats the purpose of even having an alias if it's not really a nickname). Also, except for the "musical similarities" (which is something I disagree strongly against) - there is nothing even in the name Nagao that hints that he is really Hataya, except that the letters N A O appear in Nagao. There isn't anything concrete that can link the two together, and I seriously cannot find anything that hooks these two together except for the "music similarities" stuff, which is not strong enough for me. If anything, there's more that says that these two names are not the same person than there are that hints that they are. If you really want to keep pushing the theory, it's fine by me. But as far as the wiki's concerned, don't treat it as fact - like the way that it's doing right now. Which is just going to cause a lot of problems in the long run if it happens to be false. Just keep the theory in it's own section, or take it to the talk page or something.

Or if you really want the answer to the whole debate right now, go translate the liner note I posted (the one under Sonic 3 MegaD Mix).

18. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Two things:

1) The string "on by MILPO" appears in Chaotix's sound driver — I'm presuming it was cut off for some reason...?

2) With regards to the name "Nagao," I'm curious to know first if there is anything connecting Masayuki with N.Gee, and second if there are any other Nagaos who could possibly be connected with Sega — I know of Einosuke Nagao who worked with Compile on Puyo Puyo (my best guess is that he did the original MSX songs Baroque, Cooking, Ondo, Morning, Toy, and Sorrow — none of which found their way into Mean Bean Machine — but I still have to clear Mission Mode to hope it has a credits roll to confirm this; unless can anyone here tell me how to run arbitrary MSX-DOS programs from a floppy disk image in openMSX?)

19. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Oooo! I never knew that!

From the 1207 proto, this is what it says:

casablanca version by MILPO

I have NO idea what this is refering to though, but I'm guessing this was cut from the final game? I guess we can figure out the reason why "casablanca" was removed though. I honestly don't know a lick of anything from Chaotix, but maybe you know? :P

And yeah, Kashima was credited as a sound programmer for Chaotix. But Milpo doesn't list this game in his works page. He doesn't even list Sonic & Knuckles either.

20. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining

1:36, hmm...

...is it my imagination, or do those four drum beats in Dancefloor sound familiar.