don't click here

In-game continuity errors?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TheLazenby, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. I wouldn't care either, as long as it was kept to a minimum, like a few short voice clips here and there during gameplay (like in Sonic Battle, Sonic Rush, etc.).

I don't think I would like the story being robbed of whatever small nostalgic feeling left in it by adding any sort of dialog though.

2. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    To be honest, about the "So that's Metal Sonic" line in Heroes, I interpreted the meaning as, "Wait, so that big robot is actually Metal Sonic", implying that he remembers who Metal Sonic is.

3. Blackhearted Knight

Blackhearted Knight

Wolfsbane706 Member
    CO
    Making note of the fact that Mecha Sonic is a souped-up/finished version of Silver Sonic, and that it blew up with Sky Sanctuary, I don't think they'd revive a completely destroyed machine.

On the actual topic of the topic, the only real plot hole I can think of is in Zero Gravity, where the final boss is fought at the end of Team Babylon's storyline, but Team Sonic is the one doing the work. On the flip side, this probably isn't a plot hole, but a means to get this mess back on track.

4. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.

Mecha Sonic

5. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    If you were to go into Sonic Adventure and look at the character models, would that Mecha Sonic have a name?

6. serpx

serpx

The whole Sonic Franchise is one big blood bath of continuity errors. Seriously, I don't even bother with "putting pieces together." Though, wont keep someone else from doing it -- so enjoy.

7. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Everyone says this, but there's just no substance to these claims. It's already been done, without making up stuff inbetween. It's not as if I care about the Sonic story as much as the gameplay, but, c'mon.

8. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I do also believe that every storyline works together, until Unleashed, which has a few mythology problems regarding the chaos emeralds, (that I guess could be hand waved). However there are some slight parallels present that trace back to previous games though; Unleashed is a strange case.

Also, why is Sonic 4 a 'bloodbath of continuity errors'? It should fit perfectly fine, as it was made to.

9. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

The game isn't, apart from people maoning about how Sonic has green eyes one minute, then black in Sonic 3D. It's the same with Mario, his appearance has shifted, yet no one complains.

It's just well established through playing the games that there's a solid continuity. Why does Sonic have a house on Sonic Battle and then not again? Well, could be because it's set way past some of the other games, and, actually, who cares? It's like I watched South park yesterday, Butters was trapped in the basement at the end of one episode, yet in the very next, he's back. It's just one of these story telling methods, which probably has a whole wiki page dedicated to it somewhere, if I knew the name of it.

Sonic actually has FEW continuity errors. The series has been more busy with trying to gain a solid feel over the past decade. Shadow took things to a weird new level, 2006 just doesn't feel like a standard Sonic game, and Unleashed took real life environments to the next level. What you have to remember is that Sonic is set all over the globe on a near-human Earth. I'm sat in Britain now, but wouldn't life sem different if I was in Kenya?

10. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    They only way you're going to get a name for the model is if you get a copy of the source code. If you look at the texture names, both robots use "ms" in the textures. Metal Sonic's eye texture is mrd_032s_mseye.pvr, Mecha Sonic's eye is mrd_064s_mseye.pvr.

11. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    I've always assumed that blue mecha sonic in S&K was just a different artistic interpretation of Metal Sonic.

12. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    The silver looking robot looks a lot more like sonic 2's silver sonic then mecha sonic from sonic 3k, personally.

13. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    Thats what I think too, he looks exactly like Silver Sonic from Sonic 2, he doesn't look anything like the Mecha Sonic in Sonic 3 and Knuckles. The other is obviously Metal Sonic from Sonic CD but what I find even more interesting is that theres a open container in the middle of these two guys, maybe Mecha Sonic from Sonic 3 and Knuckles was going to be stored there. I always found it strange how there was a open empty container in the middle of these two. I always thought Mecha Sonic was a completely different robot from Metal Sonic and Silver Sonic but another possibility can be that he is a enhanced and tinkered model of Metal Sonic? Metal Sonic did transform in Chaotix after all so its not something you can completely rule out.

I like to think theres 3 separate robotic models after Sonic though. I like how you can really see the size difference between the robots and Sonic here though, they are huge next to him lol. Imagine how big Mecha Sonic would be next to Sonic, he was huge in Sonic 3 and Knuckles to begin with. As for continuity errors, I've only noticed a few that really stand out that you can't really rule out with anything. I'd like to pretend Sonic 06 didn't even exist and try and find answers to some of the other continuity scrambling. I haven't noticed any major plot changes or plot holes that can really contrast to past stories but it could be because my memory right now is lacking.

This video can give you a better view of the two robots in Sonic Adventure and the massive size difference between them and Sonic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cZLnOZiZ9c...feature=related

14. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    That "open container" is where Gamma was "born".

15. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    Whoops sorry. I forgot completely, I haven't played Adventure or Adventure 2 in years so my memory of them isn't to great right now. Either way it has always bothered me that it showed only the 2 robots and not the 3rd one which is supposedly Mecha Sonic from Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

16. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Well uh, I know you're talking about plot, but the quality of the game is inconsistent with Sonic 1, 2, 3&K.

17. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Silver Sonic was completely destroyed, Metal Sonic' died' in the same way that Sonic usually does, and was visibly damaged but not destroyed (later appeared in Heroes etc.) and that Mecha Sonic from Sonic 3 & Knuckles was blown in to bits in Knuckles ending of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, which occurs after Sonic's playthrough.

I'm more inclined to think that the other Metal Sonic in Adventure is a recreated one from Sonic 3 & Knuckles which just never got used. Both Metal Sonic and the other one are purely seen as more of an Easter Egg, though Metal Sonic did get used again, probably because he's a sleeker model, much better suited to facing Sonic than the chunky slow design, which got destroyed twice before Adventure.

Since we've seen the Metal Sonic, he's been equipped with Chaos' ability which enabled it to evolve itself, has bee given the ability to speak, and has been given abilities like that diamond shield from Adventure 2's 2-player. His basic form also appears as an unlock in Adventure DX, which is pretty sweet.

I'm pretty sure Metal Sonic is a good guy now though, right? Given his role in Rival's series, where he basically helps Shadow and the team. At the end of Heroes, Omega was seen holding him with Shadow anyway, so I guess he's a good guy, or as good as Shadow usually is. More of a rival to Sonic.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

18. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    If I remember, Metal Sonic helping anyone in the Rivals games was always out of necessity as far as Eggman's planning was concerned, if at all.

19. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    This is like one of the only times ever that you get to see one of eggman's robot badnik machines, the games never explain how they were ever made.

20. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Metal Sonic probably gets reused by the doctor (and by his own accord) without a whole lot of modification because he's the one that most closely matches Sonic and his friends in ability and has complex AI. He's a very useful "Dragon" to send after Sonic when the plot doesn't provide him with anyone else like Chaos, or Shadow.

The Mecha Sonic designs, on the other hand, keep coming because they're essentially mindless killing machines, outfitted with heavy artillery and have little in common with the actual Sonic other than using spikes to a similar advantage (though yeah, the one in Sonic 3 had a jet). They seem designed mostly to make paste out of Sonic & Co when they're in an enclosed fighting area rather than hunt them down or outpace them. They also have a habit of exploding, whereas Metal Sonic usually ends up damaged, but not irreparable (Even when he's hit by the laser in Sonic CD, only a few pieces fly off).

That, and Metal Sonic's established to have a personality that would probably make him hard for Eggman to continue working on. He sees himself as the better Sonic and is rather obsessive about it, so he's probably insistent that he doesn't need any of Eggman's help to prove himself (though Metal's not above making self-improvements via copying data).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.