don't click here

In-game continuity errors?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TheLazenby, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    To quote the Shadow game:

It's already known that in SA2, + - Shadow falls towards Earth, although there is a twinkle as he gets closer and closer, indicating he may have used a final Chaos Control.  

Yeah.

2. It would be awesome if in a new game Robotnik laughs in Shadows face and tells him he lied to him about being the original just so he could beat Black Doom, and somehow prove it too, like an EMP wave shuts him off or something similar. Then SA2's ending would be as awesome as it used to be when I first beat it. Seriously, bringing him back ruined the whole sacrificing scene, now its not sad, just "dammit he's just going to come back with a completely different, emo personality and steal Sonics spotlight for many games and just be a lame character."

3. Vantoggle

Vantoggle

Perhaps, thought to me it looked like he was blasting off again. :v:

4. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    I still think that Shadow playing the role of the playable villain character would have been more awesome than what they gave us. Like, as terrible as his game was, I got a kick out of blowing up humans with weapons as Shadow. It felt... right.

Hell, even a Vegeta-like role would have been awesome. He could've been the one always trying to surpass Sonic in everything, and he could take over as the head honcho when Sonic gets sick, and have a son come from the future...

Seriously though, I definitely would have liked Shadow to remain a villain.

5. I just like to pretend Shadow died at the end of Adventure 2 and the games involving him since then never happened (like '06).

6. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    He still could be. Shadow's kinda friendly to Robotnik as it is, even after SA2.

I'm just waiting for the Eggman to call in the favours: his grandfather created Shadow, he freed Shadow from a 50-year imprisonment on Prison Island, AND he apparently saved Shadow from orbital death between SA2 and Heroes. Add to this the fact that Eggman's the last branch of Maria's family, and ol' Fatty McScientist has a whole lot of strings tied to Shadow, which he could easily twitch to make him dance.

Not to mention the eleven alternate-character-motivations that ShtH gives Shadsy. He could come into conflict with Sonic for any one of those reasons: from the blue blur being insufficiently reverential of the ARK, to Shadow just deciding he wants to be #1 hedgehog again.

7. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I'll ask you why people will resort to memory. I no longer have the source material, and niether do any of you. It's better to not assume from memory. This conversation has never been brought up before, what does that tell you?

8. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Never? I beg to differ. But with that attitude, now I don't feel like finding it. Nyah nyah. Move along.

9. n00neimp0rtant

n00neimp0rtant

EYES ONLY Member
    South Park, PA
    Creation Kit (Skyrim mods and patches)
    It's possible

[​IMG]

Oh another one from SA1 but its kinda obvious—who ACTUALLY fights the bosses? e.g. Chaos 4???? looks like this was already discussed but I tl;dr'd and made oosp!!

10. n00neimp0rtant

n00neimp0rtant

EYES ONLY Member
    South Park, PA
    sonic heroes, at the end of team dark's story it was revealed that + - the whole time, you were playing as one of many shadow "clones" and its kinda assumed that the shadow you played as in SA2, presumably the "real" one, did in fact die. and this shadow clone remembers maria and stuff so its assumed it was made from the "real" shadow and not a copy produced alongside the "original"  

This is exactly why I always thought the idea behind making a game like Shadow the Hedgehog was a good idea because no one fucking knows where he came from, how he was made, if he's even alive, etc etc but the fact of the matter is the game engine had so many glitches in it that I just beat one (of the ELEVENNNNNNN) endings and called it a day

11. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    What? I thought the end of Sonic Heroes confirmed nothing about what that particular Shadow was, and that Shadow the Hedgehog did all the clarification?

I thought that scene with Shadow stumbling on the thousands of androids was nothing more than a "what if I'm an android too" type deal.

12. n00neimp0rtant

n00neimp0rtant

EYES ONLY Member
    South Park, PA
    edit: why aren't my doubleposts automerging

>implying that a game with 11 alternate endings can clarify anything at all whatsoever

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    I'm pretty sure that the final ending is the only actual ending.

14. n00neimp0rtant

n00neimp0rtant

EYES ONLY Member
    South Park, PA
    This is why we can't have nice things, either the developers called them "endings" for a reason or they're just a bunch of douchebags who like to muddy the waters of continuity in Sonic games even more than it already tragically is

Another one I just thought of even though it's spread across games: How many times is Sonic going to meet Metal/Mecha Sonic? Or, to be fair, we'll just stick to the classic Metal Sonic and not even worry about Mecha/Silver Sonic. I can count:
    1. Sonic CD (first sighting, actual evidence of badassery)
    2. Sonic OVA I know all the TV universes are wrecked but still (IT'S A ROBOT THAT LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE SONIC)
    3. Sonic Heroes (So that's Metal Sonic?!)
    4. Sonic Rivals (Wh-what? Metal Sonic?!)
    5. Sonic 4 (>mfw that's the good ending)

Strangely enough there are also instances where Sonic apparently actually remembers Metal Sonic (or at the very least, is not shocked by his existence), like in Sonic Pinball Party. But then again, that games storyline was based around a pinball tournament, so take from that what you will. Also, there are a few games where Metal Sonic is nothing more than an extra playable character like SADX and Sonic R. These I don't really mind; it's when they start introducing Metal as a new character every 3rd game in the main series that I start to get a bit irritated.

(They seem to be doing this a lot with the newer characters too, e.g. Sonic must have met Blaze and Silver at least 3 times so far)

15. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Katelyn's right. Sarcasm just doesn't work on the internet any more.

It's not exactly a new practice for a game to have multiple unrelated endings, with one that is supposed to be the actual ending that the chronology of a game series will continue with. See Chrono Trigger for reference, as in, you can ignore any endings in it that contradict with Chrono Chross in any way.

16. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Right, just to put this right.

Shadow is Shadow. He is not an android, a clone, a fake, a robot, or anything like that. Shadow The Hedgehog does contain a credible story sequence, which I once went through with a fine comb, eliminating any sort of doubt. It makes perfect sense. Just to further this claim, I realised that in the library, the story is named "The Beginning". You can see this below for reference;

(244) The Beginning: Hero, Dark, Dark, Hero, Dark, Hero.

This story details Black Dooms plans for Shadow, his initial reluctance to go along with Black Doom, a team up with Sonic, his revist and flashbacks to Prison Island, a cutscene with The Commander, a brush with Dr Robotnik, doubt over his identity as the real Shadow, a fight alongside Omega against the Shadow Androids, and it ends up with Shadow knocking out Dr Eggman for going against him, setting up The Last Story by finishing on The Black Comet.

The last story also continues this, gives Shadow his origin, as well as various other things. He is INFORMED about his past, but does not REMEMBER, and this occurs all the way up to Battle, where his visions of Maria and Gerald increase in intensity. Anyway;

In the final Battle against Black Doom, when everyone thinks they're going to die, Robotnik makes one redeeming call to Shadow over his commlink, explaining how he tricked Shadow into believing he was an android for his own ends, and that after that horrible fall, he sent out one of his own robots to rescue Shadow, and use his makeup to create robot copies. He goes on to say that "You are the REAL Shadow".

So there you have it. Shadow The Hedgehog is not dead. He's not retconned, he's real.

Also, Metal Sonic has only reappeared once and been unknown to the other characters, and that was Sonic Heroes. Characters express their shock and confusion at seeing Metal Sonic in Rivals because he's a powerful and mighty force, and seeing him in the games is a rareity compared to other creations, because he's renowned for being Robotnik's most feared creation. His easter egg appearance at the end of Sonic 4 is not his reintroduction, but another appearance.

Also, for the Sonic meets Silver and Blaze thing, check my profile, I've detailed the story very finely there, but basically, 2006 resets time, so the future is good and the characters never meet, ala The Terminator/Dragon Ball Z/Back To The Future and any of these things which mess with time.. Then after the diabolical '06, Sonic Rush happens, then Sonic Rush Adventure, Sonic Rivals, and then Sonic Rivals 2. if you bear in mind that these also happen well after Sonic Battle and Sonic Advance 3, which happen well after the first two Sonic Advance games, which also happen between the Adventure games and Heroes, then the Sonic timeline jumps far into the future, and the character development really matures these characters, and Robotnik becomes a wuss after Adventure 2.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

The reason why the Sonic storyline is so confusing is because fans listen to hearsay, don't bother checking it out and confirming it, and it basically becomes a giant game of chinese whispers. It actually really grind my gears. I haven't spent the last 8 years online constantly repeating this for nothing. The Sonic series should be given far more credit than it has. It's got a detailed story, which links fairly well and is very intricate. The only crap storyline was '06's, which reset itself and led to the Rush series anyway.

I'm still waiting for another appearance of Eggman NEGA, that is, if he ever bothers coming back after four defeats. I personally think they could have done lots more with him. I'd like a 3D game with him in, that would be very interesting, considering he's how I imagined Robotnik to be- much more cool and calculating than Dr Robotnik himself, considering he's his ancestor.

17. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Um...

Sonic OVA: Kinda unrelated to the games mate.
    Sonic Heroes: Metal Sonic looks nothing like what anybody would recognize him as and his appearance is quite shocking.
    Sonic Rivals: "Oh shit, what is HE doing here!?"
    Sonic 4: Why don't we wait till episode 2, yea?

18. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Aww man, if they introduce Metal Sonic with one of those little story scenes (I.e. before E.G.G. Station Zone), all I really want Sonic to do is point at Metal and smirk, before either crossing his arms or putting his hands on his hips. It's gotta be a similar reaction to where the two met for a rematch in the OVA, minus the 'The world's only big enough for one Sonic, and one of us has to go' dialog between them.

19. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    I was hoping for a "you might know everything I'm going to do but that's not going to help you, because I know everything YOU'RE going to do! Strange, isn't it!?" dialog myself.

20. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    The dialog (quote unquote) between Sonic and Metal Sonic was awesome, whatchu talkin' 'bout, TJ.

Although, I'm pretty sure if dialog ended up in Sonic 4 ep 2, some people may get pissed. Myself not included, but I'm pretty sure a lotta people liked Sonic better before he spoke.

I wouldn't care either way, myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.