don't click here

In-game continuity errors?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TheLazenby, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Unfortunately no, Shadow appears in games after Sonic Unleashed, very much alive, meaning that Sega made another continuity error - provided this whole disavowing thing is true.

2. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Well, yeah, that was the point. I was arguing more against MegaDash there than you, sorry.

3. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Maybe they both did one after another, to represent the fact they worked together to fight them? Also, Sonic never fought the Egg Walker from what I remember, don't you mean Egg Hornet?

4. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Yeah, I meant the Egg hornet.

And Namo, Shadow hasn't been in a main series game since 06, so if you simply not view spinoffs as canon, then Shadow can still be dead. Or they could just make Sonic Heroes still canon...

5. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    But if Shadow is dead, then he's not as Immortal as everything claims.

So basically, if you erase Sonic Heroes from memory, but keep Sonic Adventure 2, then that means that everything you know about Shadow... IS A LIE!

6. Namo

Namo

Wait, how did Shadow die in Sonic Adventure 2 again? It's been too long.

7. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    He fell into Earth' atmosphere and apparently burned up during reentry.

8. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    'course, the flash in which he disappeared could be interpreted a couple other ways, as well, but I somewhat doubt they originally planned to leave it open-ended in that way, what with the ensuing dialogue.

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I'm pretty sure Shadow doesn't age, rather than him being immortal. He lives forever, in other words, unless somebody cuts off his head (or something similarly effective).

10. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Can I just butt in here and completely disarm you all? SEGA never said that games from Sonic Adventure 2 to Unleashed weren't canon, merely that Unleashed rebooted the series (refreshed or rejuvenated whatever the hell went wrong with it) from Sonic Adventure 2, which SEGA/Sonic Team herald as THE 3D Sonic game, due to its fan popularity, its branching plot, and also due to the fact that it was the last Sonic game to ever grace a SEGA console. Someone's been playing a game of Chinese whispers, and if it also eases the situation, I'm a Sonic fan Whore, and this is the first time since 2008 that I've heard such a statement being made, and I do quite remember the context of the original one.

They also said the same thing when Sonic The Hedgehog 2006 came out. I do ask the honourable gentlemen (and ladies) to please research this stuff prior to grouping together and acknowledging such matters.

11. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    This has always been my assumption. Won't die of old age, and really, really hard to kill. Considering Sega even played with the thought of him surviving falling from space to earth I would not be surprised if he has a Wolverine-style regeneration ability.

Even so, I still would like to hold out hope that he's technically dead. All of the entries he's appeared in post-Unleashed I consider non-canonical (the spin-offs. He was in Colors DS, though, right? I wouldn't really call canonical either...), so my hope is that he's like Waluigi, that appears in the stories that don't matter, but has no effect on the main story. Here's hoping.

EDIT: Curses, Ninja'd and point slightly made moot by it :flunked:

12. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Um, 'reboot' does not necessarily mean 'to refresh or rejuvenate whatever the hell went wrong with it', excluding continuity:

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=17 January 2011 at 01:31:name=Wikipedia on Reboot (fiction))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wikipedia on Reboot (fiction) @ 17 January 2011 at 01:31)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The term reboot, in media dealing with serial fiction, means to discard much or even all previous continuity in the series and start anew with fresh ideas. Effectively, all established fictive history is declared by the writer(s) to be null and void, or at least irrelevant to the new storyline, and the series starts over as if brand-new.[/QUOTE]

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=23 October 2010, at 16:58:name=Wiktionary Entry on Reboot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wiktionary Entry on Reboot @ 23 October 2010, at 16:58)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Noun

reboot (plural reboots)

1. (computing) An instance of rebooting.
    2. (narratology) The rewriting of a series storyline that discards all previous continuity.

Verb

to reboot (third-person singular simple present reboots, present participle rebooting, simple past and past participle rebooted)

1. (computing) To cause a computer to execute its boot process, effectively resetting the computer and causing the operating system to reload, especially after a system or power failure
    2. (narratology) To discard all previous continuity in a series and restart the series.
    3. (video games) To restart a (computer or video game) from the beginning.[/QUOTE]

:eng101:

Well, if you remember the appropriate articles, tell us where to find them.

You were?

13. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Yes. You said:

So I pointed out that the same thing happens in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, as playing as either Sonic or Tails leads to two different versions of the same story.

14. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    I think you're reading too much into the fact that they (purportedly) used the word "reboot". The word gets thrown about everywhere in advertising, whether there's continuity or stylistic revisions or not. It's just to make you go "omg they're doing something revolutionary with the series I must buy this game!!1!!". Even if they're really not.

And just to confirm what SpeedStarTMQ said; no-one's ever officially claimed that ANY of the games are thrown out of continuity. Not even Chronicles or Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

15. Namo

Namo

So, it's possible that he vanished off with a Chaos Control before he had a chance to burn to dust, which actually would be better than having him reappear as a clone or robot or whatever the hell he was in Sonic Heroes.

But then? Sonic Heroes.

Maybe Sonic Team doubted the kiddie's intelligence on that one - I don't imagine many children would consider Shadow chaos-controlling somewhere safe (or at least my ring of friends didn't). So in order to bring back a new fan-favorite, they made him whatever he was in Sonic Heroes. If it's never specifically mentioned that Shadow is a clone (I never played much of Sonic Heroes), I got that vibe because Shadow was in that tube of stuff.

However, I can't help but feel that Shadow isn't a clone - after all, would all those demon thingies go through all the trouble they did in Shadow The Hedgehog just for a clone?

So that brings up another theory - perhaps Shadow DID chaos control to safety, but was gravely injured from the whole atmosphere business, so that tube thing he was floating in was actually some sort of healing device.

Eh this post is so stupid.

16. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    It is, but not in Heroes. During the final battle in Shadow The Hedgehog (final as, the Super Shadow fight), if you intentionally prolong the fight by collecting Rings without dealing damage to Devil Doom you hear various Sonic characters speaking to Shadow (encouraging him, telling him they are suffocating, and so on. Maybe there is an hidden time limit like in Sonic Adventure 2). One of the very last one is from Eggman, and he explain to Shadow how he survived.

He basically says he found Shadow unconscious somewhere I don't remember with the help of his robots. He put it in that tube, and used his DNA to create the robot clones. I don't remember if he specifically said if Shadow used the Chaos Control to survive the fall or not. The final sentence goes along the lines of "you are the real one, you're not a clone, and only you can defeat him" and the usual Heroes style script.

So yeah, it may be a retcon, but the game script says the current Shadow is still the original SA2 self, and not a clone.

I can't find a long enough battle on Youtube with all the voice clips.

17. Namo

Namo

Ah that clears it up then. To be fair, I never played Shadow but had a basic grasp of its story. Basic meaning, IDGAF.

But I wonder why the developers made such a seemingly important reveal so odd to find.

18. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    They did the same thing in Sonic Adventure 2. It's a bad place to put a critical plot reveal, unless they just thought it wasn't important.

Yeah, but Sonic 3 & Knuckles had no 'final story' that attempted to harmonize all the simultaneous story arcs. It's like how Deus Ex 2 attempted to reason that all three endings of the original Deus Ex somehow happened. It's ridiculous. Also, Sonic 3 & Knuckles was an excellent game.

19. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    My interpretation of the Shth "Lol ur teh real Shadow" business was that Shadow DIDN'T fall from space and somehow survive reentry.
    I assumed that he just ended up floating around the planet in low orbit, and one of Eggman's probes eventually found and recovered him or something.

Then again, I can remember almost nothing about SA2; idk.

20. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    I though the description Eggman gave was kinda vague and stupid sounding (something like "I rescued you with one of my robots"), but it's definitely there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.